Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the aero tri top and raced (the bike) in it last weekend. Waiting for official photos to come through and will post, but the fit was pretty good. I got the small and am only a short-ish fella at 5 foot 9 and a half (the half counts) and the top just reached the top of my shorts. It did ride up a on foot, but no probs when riding. The back didn't ride up at all; there are some kind of clips on there for fastening the back down onto your shorts but I didn't bother with them. Importantly, the fit was tight but not restrictive and didn't seem like many wrinkles on the arms.

The graphics customization is ace, you can create an area to keep your designs in then you download a .pdf template. You then do whatever you like in your (preferably vector) graphics package of choice, send back to them and they render it onto the 3d model on the web page after a little while - overnight for me. Came out really nice. Only problem for me was that I used a non-standard font for my club name which I guess they didn't hold, so they had to match it to something fairly close.

Will post pics when I have them. Note this was the top only, I don't dig the one-piece.
Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 28, 14 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked Virklon for some improvements facing Kona; A more "breathable" and aero chest and arms, and pockets for ice

This is the proto; (note the ice in the shoulder)

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, this is best picture I can grab in the tri top head on. Not too bad on the wrinkle front, the guys at Virklon actually recommended a size smaller but I wanted to cover as much of my fat gut as possible..

ETA: I can get a better picture next time I'm on the trainer if it helps?

Rich.

Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 29, 14 3:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
... you download a .pdf template. ...I don't dig the one-piece.
Is the PDF link for image customization on their website. I'm not seeing it.
Why don't you dig the one-piece?

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
Is the PDF link for image customization on their website. I'm not seeing it.
Can't remember exactly, but you follow the "create catalogue" link from the front page and create an area for your team (or personal) kit. After you put in a little bit of info I think there is a customization link or button somewhere and it links you to a .pdf download which is an exploded view of the suit panels. I then applied my graphics using Inkscape.

lllusion wrote:
Why don't you dig the one-piece?
Personal preference, that's all. I prefer two-piece for racing and like using my own tri shorts which I also do all my long rides in. Absolutely not a comment on the Virklon one-piece specifically, I'm sure it is really good based on the top I bought. I'm impressed by the quality, especially given the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update if anybody is interested on the Virklon tri top for the 2-piece racers. I'm in the Small (they suggested XS but that would have been too small for my build) and when I actually got around to getting some pictures side-on, it is obvious how much it rides up. I spoke to Virklon about this and they are aware of that. The fabric is reeeally stretchy, which helps you to get a good fit, but as it stretches "sideways" it shortens "lengthways", if that makes sense. They are revising their design with new patterns which will be in place around December 1st they tell me. The tops will be 10cm longer.

Below is a pic on my turbo, you can see the gap. Another 10cm will sort that out I think. These tops come with some retaining clips which you can use to attach them to the shorts, if you use their shorts which have the other half of the clip, but I never did so can't comment on how well that will work. Wouldn't want to wrestle with the clips if the turtles head was poking, but might come in for a TT.

Sorry for rubbish photo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the consensus is that Virklon makes a pretty stretchy speed suit right? So it would be safe to order smaller with hopes it'll stretch to fit? I'm 6'1 around 173-178 pounds during race season. I'm about to pull the trigger on the speed suit w/ sleeves. Help please. Can't decide between a medium or small.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [beavertriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have altered the patterns/sizes recently, the old small that I ordered would be a medium now. I bought another and for the same size you definitely have to go up one, my new medium fits the same as my old small.

You'll never want a small at your size, maybe not even a medium but it might work on the one piece. FYI I am 5'9-and-a-bit so nowhere near your height, and 158 lbs (it's the, ahem, off season still for me..) and my medium tri top is the right size. But I am fairly broad across the shoulders vs slim in the hips, and I do have some arm muscles.

Their interactive sizing charts are pretty good I think, or you could always email, I found them to be pretty responsive. But the material IS incredibly stretchy.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [beavertriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beavertriathlon wrote:
So the consensus is that Virklon makes a pretty stretchy speed suit right? So it would be safe to order smaller with hopes it'll stretch to fit? I'm 6'1 around 173-178 pounds during race season. I'm about to pull the trigger on the speed suit w/ sleeves. Help please. Can't decide between a medium or small.

I'm the same height, a little lighter - about 165, and wondering what size virklon I should try.

did the medium work out ok for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm knocking the dust and resurrecting this post. I'm on the hunt for a sleeved tri suit with 1 off custom design and virKlon matches my needs. Any recent reviews on it? Are you still happy with the product? Since I'm in US, what is the turn around time? Thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used them last year for custom team tri suits for use in Ironman Chattanooga and would use them again. We did the full custom option where you download a pdf and place your logos and choose colors for each panel of fabric. The tri shorts had a pretty minimal pad, but I had no complaints on race day, and I loved their system that clips the back of the shorts to the bottom of the jersey to keep it from riding up when you lean forward on the aerobars. The colors and printing of my vector graphics seemed spot on!

We also got custom arm warmers, which were great. The long-sleeved tri suit goes to the elbow and the arm warmers can give you that extra coverage for sun protection.

I ordered around July 20 and received my whole kit almost exactly 4 weeks later.

When everything arrived, I wanted to go back and replace every piece of cycling and run clothing I own with their gear, since the prices are basically the same as lots of non custom stuff.

They were also pretty responsive and helpful. I originally placed an order for the full zip top and they emailed me to let me know that it is very short in the front, making it Aero for time trialing but less appropriate for long course unless you want your stomach showing. (Noone wants my stomach to show...)

If I was going to order a new kit this year, I'd probably ask them if I could get the extra mesh shoulder ice pockets that someone trialed in one of these posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [ia_triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info! Thank you for taking the time to type it. Do you have any team photos? I may try to tell others to jump on this wagon with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I live in the UK and have been getting my suit from Virklon for the past two years, and I could not be happier! Below are some photos:

Turnaround can be an issue as they have many, many clients all around Europe, and the world as I can see form this post. Make sure you give them plenty of time to build your suit.

http://www.ironmanangolano.com/
- 10X IM 70.3, PB 4h:45
- 4X IM, PB 10h:16
- 1X IM 70.3 World Champs (2014)
Instagram @ironmanangolano
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered my second Virklon suit after ripping up my original one at IM Texas the other week in a bike crash... Went for plain black and white again with a bit more black this time. Would recommend due to quality, comfort, relative cheapness (100euro + 45euro shipping to Canada = $222 CAD)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: May 12, 18 3:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next