Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wright Amendment...
Quote | Reply
Does anyone outside of Texas know anything about the legislation to repeal the Wright Amendment(restrictions on flights of Southwest Airlines from Dallas Love Field to surrounding states only)? Just curious to know if anyone else really cares either way....I'm an employee of DFW Airport Board, and have a family member who works for Southwest. Between the constant e-mails @ work, or the Southwest TV commercials, I'm about tired of the politics!

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Wright Amendment... [runningmanrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am familar with it, and I support it the repeal. No reason why Southwest should have to put up with these restrictions.

For the most part though, the answer to your question is no. Only a news junkie with no life knows about this stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Wright Amendment... [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was, however, a good recent editorial by George Will on the subject:

http://www.townhall.com/...ill/gw20050605.shtml

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I understand it, Southwest screwed DFW by refusing, at the last minute, to move from Love Field to DFW. The Wright Amendment is a compromise that allowed Southwest to stay at Love. That said, when I lived in Dallas, it was a realy pain in the ass to fly on Southwest to anywhere other than Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma or New Mexico.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do care about it, as it makes my trips from California to Dallas more complicated. Get ride of the Rong amendment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I practiced law in Dallas, we represented one of the parties in the Legend Airlines dispute (if you recall, Legend wanted to fly 56 seat jet airplanes out of Love Field to NY and other high profile destinations -- the Wright Amendment applied only to aircraft with more than 56 seats). I learned a lot about the history of Love Field, DFW, and the Wright Amendment. Before the federal government forced the cities into a compromise to build DFW and limit the reach of Love Field, planes used to actually fly between Dallas and Fort Worth. Those politics go back a long way and there is a huge amount of money and power behind each position, as I'm sure you well know. In my view, there is no public policy at stake (which is shameful considering that we're talking about federal legislation); it's a business dispute played out in a public forum. I don't think there is any escape.

Is John Wiley Price still around? Maybe there's some kind of race issue lurking about that would divert everyone's attention . . . .
Last edited by: AmyCO: Aug 17, 05 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Wright Amendment... [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As I understand it, Southwest screwed DFW by refusing, at the last minute, to move from Love Field to DFW. The Wright Amendment is a compromise that allowed Southwest to stay at Love. That said, when I lived in Dallas, it was a realy pain in the ass to fly on Southwest to anywhere other than Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma or New Mexico.

i don't know that swa really "screwed" dfw back in the '70 considering when wright passed they prob had less than 20 aircraft and they were going against the likes of american, braniff, eastern, pan am, all pretty big companies at the time. at the time the agreement was made for airlines to go to dfw from love, early '70, swa wasn't even flying. they spent i think about 3-4 yrs in the courts to get the right, no pun intended, to fly. if it was such a pain to fly swa to cities other than the cities listed you can alway fly the other major based here. you're going to pay some of the highest airfares in the country for a flight of comparable distance, but the represenatives don't seem to mind that. i find it funny that kay bailey hutchins is not in favor of repealing the WA but quite frequently flies swa. if dfw is so important to save why doesn't she buy her tickets from carriers over there?

and yes john wiley is still around, and yes it is always a racial thing. i'm just glad i don't live in dallas county, i can still be entertained by the circus, for about 5 mins at a time, and then change the station cuz i really don't care.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is it's a ~$40 cab ride from DFW to Love. I hate the Wright Amendment.
Quote Reply