Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going off the Pill
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies!

I have a weird question for everyone. Long story short, after a couple of months of weird episodes of nausea, I realized that the birth control pill that I've been taking for 10+ years had started making me really sick. For the record, I am not pregnant, and I have confirmed that with multiple pregnancy tests, and a doctor visit. Seriously, I need to buy stock in the company that makes EPT. Anyway, I stopped taking my pill 3 weeks ago. Since I stopped taking it, I have noticed that my HR has been trending REALLY high (like 10 bpm higher than usual) at what is my usual aerobic HR run paces and bike wattage. Anyone ever had this happen/have any thoughts? Assume that all other things (stress levels, sleep, eating habits, and training) are the same.

I could definitely be overthinking what's happening, but going off the pill is the only major change with my body that I can come up with. Normally, I would just let this roll off my shoulders, but I have a race coming up, and this is getting me a bit worked up....

Thanks!!!
JJ
Quote Reply
Re: Going off the Pill [BurgherRoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you taking any other OTC med, even for allergies or colds? They sometimes make my HR go up, but not always.
Quote Reply
Re: Going off the Pill [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope! I'm not taking anything else. Going off the pill was the only big change in my daily routine. I was just wondering if anyone had had a similar experience. I'm not even sick. It's kind of bananas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oral contraceptives dampen some of the autonomic reflexes that control heart rate and vascular tone, so, it is biologically plausible that your heart rate is higher because of going off the pill. (Like the control of your heart rate is more labile/reactive off the pill, and this may have resulted in an overall higher heart rate.) There are many factors that impact heart rate and its variability, including age, stress, caffeine, fluid/electrolyte balance, various hormones, and genetic factors.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your resting HR also higher, or you only have a higher HR than normal during exercise?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply