Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: God my attitude SUCKS [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I've never disputed that man has done some bad things in the name of God or in the name of religion."

Dude that's so much of an understatement I don't even know how to say it to you.

On a Macro level a huge percentage of the World's conflicts are some how religion connected. That's where religion really is real bane to mankind and always has been.

On a Macro-micro level, religions do help the less fortunate with charity etc. and also waste lot's of money on fancy places of worship etc. But you don't have to be a religion follower to donate time, effort or money. On the flipside religion is the one place that hypocracy is at it's extreme. Also there are so many stupid rules and customs that make no sense and sometimes can cause harm.

On a Micro level lot's of religious people are really good folk because they live the good principles taught by their religion. On the flip side again hypocracy where the religious see themselves on some sort of pedestal. And like in my family religion has actually distanced us so far we may as well not be family.

Well my friend if you're deeply religious and get guidance and well being from it ...God bless you. For me I simply cannot be forced into something I don't see any sense in.

To me if you're going to immerse yourself so fully into a religion that it will run the very way you think and act throughout your life, that religion needs to be beyond reproach. No homo Monks, no Priests who fondle choir boys, no ridiculous practices that cause segregation, no I am better than thou attitude, no killing in the name of God, no prejudging other humans, no human figure heads with no life credentials to be worshipped, no getting rich off the donations by religious leaders, and the list is never ending etc, etc.

If religion is about GOD and not man made it should be 100% proof. A direct line to the creator if he cares enough about us little amoeba in the first place. Not the farce that are religions which segregate mankind and that are causing all the strife that they do. In light of what is I'd say best to keep an opened mind, and try and simply do what's obviously right, then to get caught in a web of nonsense just for the sake of some virtual comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: God my attitude SUCKS [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some how religion connected.

That's what I was assuming. Anytime "men" are involved in something, religion will some how be connected to it. That's not a hard connection to make. We could make the argument that religion is somehow connected to baseball, football, MTV, XBOX, or anything else in varying degrees.

We have the same discussion in the LR involving Abortion. People cannot understand how a religious person could be against abortion without it being a religious issue. No amount of convincing seems to suffice.

On the flip side again hypocracy where the religious see themselves on some sort of pedestal.

Looking at the most horrific world events ... they occur when one group views themselves as "higher" or "more worthy" than another group, and then proceeeds to try and push the "inferior group" off the face of the Earth. That happens whether there is religion or not.

For me I simply cannot be forced into something I don't see any sense in.

I would not push the issue. You know the deal, you've made a choice. God doesn't take away your ability to choose, I have no right to (or even attempt to). We'll still be friends.

No homo Monks, no Priests who fondle choir boys, no ridiculous practices that cause segregation, no I am better than thou attitude, no killing in the name of God, no prejudging other humans, no human figure heads with no life credentials to be worshipped, no getting rich off the donations by religious leaders, and the list is never ending etc, etc.

None of that is even necessary. If this is what you are viewing as "religion" then I suppose you have a point. I agree those are man made.

I try and keep it simple. I believe Christ is the Son of God. Christ commands me to love God with all my heart and to love my neighbors as I love myself (<-- very, very difficult), and that's what i try to do. All else is really secondary, or tertiary, or quaternary, etc. =)

As for the divisions among religions. I don't get caught up in. Buddha never claimed to be deity. Musslims worship the God of Abraham, as do Jews & Christians. Concentrating on the differences only detracts. Like my sig line says ... why worry and stress over things I can't change?

Later, K'roo. RyanB.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That's what I was assuming. Anytime "men" are involved in something, religion will some how be connected to it. That's not a hard connection to make. We could make the argument that religion is somehow connected to baseball, football, MTV, XBOX, or anything else in varying degrees."

Ryan,

That's kind of stretching the generalization to the max so it becomes meaningless.

Let's keep it to when individuals do things as an individual or group on purpose declaring their religion or representing their religious sect with the action itself being tied into their religious cause. Muslim terrorists being the most obvious though all sorts of countless examples can be given, modern time and olden times.

Even in your aphable tone I do detect a little my religion is the true one as compared to theirs. The Muslim terrorists probably have even more conviction than you. So much so they are willing to blow themselves up to kill others and go to heaven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even in your aphable tone I do detect a little my religion is the true one as compared to theirs.

I am convinced that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. That is my belief. Does that mean that the other religions are false? No. There are some religions that I do not believe are legit and I won't mention them as to avoid the debate.

I look at Musslims and Jews and see that we all follow the same God. We differ on views of the Messiah. It is not up to me to sort it all out. That's basically the approach I take.

That's kind of stretching the generalization to the max so it becomes meaningless.

Yeah ... I stretched it intentionally. It what happens when one is used to being sarcastic.

One could make the argument that religion is tied to anything and everything that one has an opinion on. We'd just be disputing "to what degree".

Blaming all the ills of the world on religion makes about as much sense as when certain creation groups try and blame all the ills of the world on evolution. Sure, certain folks will use "competition for survival" to justify any means or actions ... but that's hardly evolution's fault.

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Aug 18, 05 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muslim terrorists being the most obvious though all sorts of countless examples can be given, modern time and olden times.

I realize this. I am saying that when compared to worldwide poverty (something like 2/3's of the world's people live in poverty, AFAIK), worldwide AIDS, oppression, murderous dictators, etc that Muslim terrorists, clinic bombers, and others like them are not comparable in magnitude.

Let's keep it to when individuals do things as an individual or group on purpose declaring their religion or representing their religious sect with the action itself being tied into their religious cause.

On a global scale, I'd bet religious people (as a group) do more good than bad. Perhaps even so on their (as a group) worst day. Think about every church, in every community, spread across the whole world.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: God my attitude SUCKS [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"maybe I just cant be happy"

probably that's not true. either way, hope you don't mind, i moved your thread to the lavender room since those who wanted to turn it into a religious debate hijacked it from you. in other words, the thread as it now is resides in the room inhabited by those who like the sort of debate this has become.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: God my attitude SUCKS [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"maybe I just cant be happy"

probably that's not true. either way, hope you don't mind, i moved your thread to the lavender room since those who wanted to turn it into a religious debate hijacked it from you. in other words, the thread as it now is resides in the room inhabited by those who like the sort of debate this has become.
I am happy that you moved this post...and certainly not that again it seems all folks here can fight about anything.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: God my attitude SUCKS [Jay Rideout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"References: None. I've left a path of destruction behind me"

Precisely! Dead men tell no tales. And most of the jerkoffs who were dumb enough to do the shit I was doing are long since dead...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and certainly not that again it seems all folks here can fight about anything.

I would caution against interpreting a discussion as a fight. I certainly view discussions on the internet the same as would if we were sitting in my back yard grilling steak and drinking a few Coronas. We're friends that have differences of opinions, and sometimes the discussions can even get heated, but we're friends before, during, and after the discussions.

Differences of opinions is what makes the world go 'round. I certainly make it a point to have friends of diverse opinions ... if not life would be boring.

In discussions I don't want to make a statement and hear "Yup" and "I agree" and "Yeah, I know", and the discussion to be over. No one learns anything new or broadens their horizons with such discussions.

I think it's cool that so many folks can be so different and yet be friends.

Example: I have argued many things with Ken. I consider Ken to be one of my favorite ST people. Every discussion in interesting and makes you think about your own ideas and consider the different view.

Honestly, in real life, I don't get the same type of discussion. In real life most of my discussions are sports-based and rather trivial.

I certainly appreciate the differing opinions that get expressed here.

I mentioned this before a long time ago ... but the way ST'ers talk to each other reminds me of brothers or teammates. That is appealing to me. I like good banter that is accompanied with thought. Some websites are so polite and PC that they are too vanilla to really enjoy. This site is full of panache.

True, there is nothing we won't debate. We're good like that.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup..."were good like that"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Religion, politics, sex and preferences in the female form invariably invoke heated debate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"I look at Musslims and Jews and see that we all follow the same God. We differ on views of the Messiah. It is not up to me to sort it all out. That's basically the approach I take."

Funny how those religions are supposed to believe in the same God but yet have so many differences, not only in the Messiah but instructions on do's and dont's. Each person will claim their religion is the true and correct, I wonder which one God favors? My Mom claims her Methodist faith is the real deal because Catholic worship is all wrong because Mother Mary is a vehicle to the Messiah and should not be worshipped ...those ridiculous Catholics. Funny? ...in the past this disagreement has brought about blood letting ie recently Northern Ireland and all the way back into the medieval times there would be many such records in history ..just like Suni and Shi'it. Even different sects of the same religion have caused such human segregation and conflict and we haven't even touched on inter religion conflicts yet.

Yes you have a good pragmatic approach, it's just a shame that the rest of mankind in general as a whole is not able and never will be able to adopt the same approach. Man would as such not have to be enduring and have endured all through history the pain and suffering as a result of a different approach.

All the ills in the World are not caused by religion, but if we were somehow able to rub out all religious based conflicts, presently just a few that come to mind that are on going...Israel-Palestine, Northern Ireland (though that's almost resolved thank God), and our all time hit list Muslim Terror and there's plenty more where that came from, the World would be so-so much better off. Notice how these religious based conflicts tend to drag on seemingly with no end in sight because it's all inside the heads of man and that's not easy to rid of. Also we would be minus a few Genocide attempts even in recent times and other major human inflicted tragedies by religious groups, amongst or between different religious factions, against certain religious groups ...you get the pic?

Doesn't it say somewhere in the bible that a WWIII will be started in the Middle East ...religious based conflict no doubt. Me I don't really pay it any mind since I really doubt that God wrote the Bible himself.

And yes Religious groups as a whole do pool their resources to help fellow man. But as I said we don't need religion to do such things. For example in the huge Tsunami disastour religious groups weren't the only ones to contribute to the victim's situation. Ditto the recent drive to help the impovrished on the African continent. We don't need religion in order to form charitable help. And yes we don't need religion to go to war either or to cause suffering to fellow man but it would certainly help a great deal if one major reason to segregate and differentiate was to be removed (though it never will) and undying fanaticism which motivates some to harm others. Instead if all this energy were used to concentrate on positives for themselves and others. ...if only .

For all these reasons and more, for myself I see religion in it's institutional form as the biggest self-hoax to mankind. So as a thinking individual I prefer to maintain my good senses and use the judgement that the creator so generously endowed us homosapiens with instead of following zombie like what other men have created for me. I really-really have no big vacuum that needs that kind of 'spiritual' fullfilment. I accept I'm just an amoeba on the face of this very tiny planet in an infinite universe and just live and do according to what seems right. No big dillusions of going to heaven etc. If there is life after death I've lived my life not always by rules but by the basic premis not to harm those which are not a threat. I have compassion and will help those around me when I can. With the risk of blowing my own trumpet I can say that me and many like me have in fact a lot more compassion than many religious devout folk I see. And I'm not just refering to terorrists but everyday people we come into contact with. If this is not good enough and I need some religion to rubber stamp my way to avoid hell so be it. (which rubber stamp has the the most value anyway?) If there is no life after death ...dust to dust.

Well you and very many have a totally different perspective and I do respect that, to each his own and God bless! And I do sincerely respect and appreciate the respect you've shown here by not preaching. Man them preachy types it's an insult to one's intelligence, people coming along on their soap box telling us what we lack.

In the meantime in conclusion I can say that I have more than used up my liberty in ST here, in verbosing on this topic. Anything else I say will likely be a repetition anyway. So I reckon going back to talking training, bikes and babes would be more enlightening and light hearted. This stuff is heavy going isn't it?

Cheers,

Geoff

my Mom chose that name for me because it means the Peaceful Shepherd. Poor Mom when I turned out to be a kick boxer and street fighter in my younger days I think she has never recovered from her disappointment.
Last edited by: kangaroo: Aug 18, 05 23:20
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Religion, politics, sex and preferences in the female form invariably invoke heated debate.
That is all well and good...do that when the time is proper (I know I enjoy debate)...but my post went from saying sorry for being a dick...to you all acting like dicks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but my post went from saying sorry for being a dick...to you all acting like dicks.

I would hate to look through all the ST threads and see what percentage of threads start out great and then deteriorate into something completely different.

We all should make an effort to start unique threads when the discussion branches or discuss it through PM. I know I use the search function quite a bit ... and it can be frustrating to be looking for one thing and find a bunch of drivel.

Anyway, I'm out like a fastball to Hank Aaron.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: God my attitude SUCKS [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No actually it's a pretty lame nick which I got because I grew up in OZ came back home with an Aussie accent which everyone thought was funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well RC I did give my honest 2 cents worth on your original post and I wasn't one of those who expressed or implied you were lame like some others. So some people recommended religion and I gave my reasons why IMO this is not a solution. And may I add now that there are just as many who get into religion in the hope of finding some sort of inner peace who are unsuccesful as many as those who claim bliss. (still related to your topic here) Then it just deviated from there into a for religion and not for religion debate. I don't know about other dudes here, but rather than viewing it as some sort of dick headed discussion, I would have thought it a pretty profound life topic worthy of people expressing their opinions for others to consider.

If you're expecting that internet forum threads don't naturally deviate from the original topic ..that could be another form of dick-ness right here.

BTW I do hope you get over your recessed state of being real soon. At your age life is like an oyster full of opportunities. For starters you live in the land of opportunity, the home of the brave and land of the free and that really is no shit if you make relative comparisons. Secondly you have your health or you wouldn't be doing Tris and thirdly you've got a reasonable brain I'm assuming from your posts which are legible and you must be a handsome devil to boot, I am really assuming period. -:) So Dude compared to so many what's there to be down about?

Unlike you still a young stud I'm a chronologically old 50 but can run, jump, fuck, fight, push a pram and ride my bike and I ain't complainin!
Last edited by: kangaroo: Aug 19, 05 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roo...I dont think you were the one who was "fighting".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez RC and I thought I was the one intoxicating people with the exhuberence of my verbosity ... reminescent of the long windedness of people in my age category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not untill you can claim that you bitch about politics for a living...with three or four other guys, every day for hours while reading every news paper printed in a major city and 90 mile radius on the table...oh, and if you have shorts on one testical must hand just slightly out the leg of the shorts...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"oh, and if you have shorts on one testical must hand just slightly out the leg of the shorts... "

????

BTW a couple of weeks ago I was watching one of the programmes in a series of documentaries on Discovery about our Homosapien behaviour and it's causes, and in particular the cause of behavioural patterns between the two Genders. One topic was TESTICLES comparison of Chimpanzees, Humans and Gorillas. Which species has smallest, medium and largest and why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One topic was TESTICLES comparison of Chimpanzees, Humans and Gorillas. Which species has smallest, medium and largest and why?

Oh that's definately a new thread. Go ahead and do the honors.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well TripleThreat, you don't exactly sound like you're bursting with anticipation but since you responded I'll answer.

On the theme of relationships between male amd female of any species, if you watch National Geographic and Discovery as much as I do, it becomes apparent that there are three main objectives motivating behaviour. One is that each male will do his utmost to carry on his lineage. Second is that the best and strongest genes get passed on. And third that the young are best cared for.

The above chimp, man and gorilla thing has to do with the first objective; ie the male needing to carry on his lineage. The Gorilla female is strictly a one man woman ..strictly. So the male Gorilla being the biggest has the smallest nuts cuz it's pretty sure his sperm will get the post.

The chimp female will let anything that comes along have a go. Hence the male chimp has huge bollocks in order to produce huge amounts of sperm so that he can distribute more and have a chance that he has offspring.

The human femme is in between but by no means faithful as a gender. In fact a case study done by this team of scientists on Discovery did a wide sample DNA testing and the results were astonishing. Needless to say many hubbies out there, proud fathers have no inkling that their sons and daughters are not all theirs. BTW we've got medium size nuts.

Well I found this documentary series fascinating.

Another test they did on one of the big College campuses was to get two aphable people. One really hunky young guy with a really pleasant disposition and one sweet curvy pretty but wholesome girl. Each was filmed walking around the campus and basically approaching individuals of the opposite sex and saying, " I couldn't help but notice you around campus. I find you extremely attractive. I hope you don't mind if I extend this invitation, but would you like to sleep with me tonight?"

The reactions may be easier to guess but the reasons for ....???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a different set of expectations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next