Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone boat? Have a boat? [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record,

I am a newbie boat owner. Moved into a home with a deeded boat slip and took the plunge. I had very little experience with boats. After about two months of researching we purchased a 1998 Four Winns 21 foot deck boat with the same Volvo engine in the Larson. We have been pleased with the Boat we primarily use it for spinning around the lake, pulling the kids in tubes and a little water skiing. The biggest drawback to our model boat was that windshield only covers the captains chair and does not block wind for the other passengers.

The best benefit of the boat has been the quality time I get with the kids. Its isolated one on one time, w/o all of lifes distractions. For that the boat is priceless.

The boat we purchased had extensive service records and was traded in on a new boat last fall. The boat dealer had the boat on its lot for a year, I offered a low ball price that he countered with, I stuck with my price and gave the sales rep my name and number. Two weeks later they agreed on my initial offer.

In summary, do research, I went to the Charlotte boat show and it was time well spent. We saw more boats in 5 hours then we thought possible. From the boat show you can determine the options you are interested in an help prevent having any buyers remorse.

Good Luck,

RF
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone boat? Have a boat? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friggin graphics all look the same on these things. You like the Malibu? I'm going to buy a combo boat this fall for wakeboarding/skiing--ski boats suck for wakeboarding, and wakeboard boats + slalom skiers are high comedy. Combos seem like best of both worlds, I just wonder about the ease/durability of the variable ballast sacks.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't read all the replies yet......but DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes, your life will be over.

I'm up the Land of 10,000 lakes and had a boat for a few years. Great fun, love the water, enjoy entertaining, etc.

However...I didn't care for:

The maintenance

cost of ownership

shitty weathered weekends

Lake traffic

DNR police

Friends ditching early leaving me with clean-up

The lists goes on....

Sounds like your mind is made up, but I'd rather invest in a cabin and head for the beach vacation each year instead.....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone boat? Have a boat? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Malibu model is a combo boat, but I will have to tell you it is weighted toward the wakeboard user. If you are an avid skier you will be disappointed with the wake (no matter what the dealer tells you).

Quote | Reply
We've got the 1100 jetski for skiing, so its not a huge deal on the ski side. Besides, after you've wakeboarded, who wants to go back to skiing?

How quick is the fillup on the ballast bags?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone boat? Have a boat? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, you are talking to an old school skier here so the wake is important. Unfortunately, my kids who wakeboard have more clout.

Maybe 3 minutes on the bags.

It also has "the wedge." Between the 2 of them, you can make tsunami sized waves.

Quote | Reply
I have three boats- two whitewater kayaks and sea kayak. Boats with motors are for slugs.;-)

I like a boat that's fun, relatively cheap and gives me a workout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like I side with your kids. Thanks for the info--I'll look into one for BB.

Quote Reply

Prev Next