Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rowing Machines [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another high level rower chiming in:

concept2 is definitely the standard and is probably the easiest to find, both used, as well as replacement parts.

oartec makes probably the best erg i've ever used - it is much more technique driven, it is basically a concept2 on sliders. i'd imagine more expensive.

i'd advise you to look for a Model C if you can find it - D & E are really just fancier monitors, and slightly more comfortable handles. you can upgrade either of those parts, if you want, but no offense - i don't suspect you'll use it enough to appreciate the difference.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
i'd advise you to look for a Model C if you can find it - D & E are really just fancier monitors, and slightly more comfortable handles. you can upgrade either of those parts, if you want, but no offense - i don't suspect you'll use it enough to appreciate the difference.
No, C2 definitely changed the flywheel, etc., for the Model D forward (Model C is 22 year old design), but your right about it not making a diff unless you're using it a lot/racing CRASH-B. And the Model C will be a lot less $ if you can find them.

For Sale: Model C with PM2 monitor. $350 Used only to prep for a CRASH-B podium appearance. Local pickup only.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Feb 28, 14 21:15
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmy d wrote:
I'm not a rower, but I was shown the ropes by a Crash B World Champ. I will attest to what you said. One can put a serious hurt on with a hard set. I find a hard effort on the Concept 2 more painful than most run, bike and swim time trials I've done. Muscles burn, throat dries, lungs crawl up the throat looking for an escape and the vomit waits to attack like an inside linebacker. It's a lot of fun.

Try being 165lbs and pulling a 6:10 2k as a junior in HS. If I could have lost 6 pounds it would have met the current Sr National team standards for lightweight men. I'm not sure I could have lost 6 pounds, but it is pretty scary that as a 16 year old I was pulling those times. Oh those were the days...
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 7:11 at about that weight in my early thirties. I did the same about two years ago at 46. I can't imagine taking another minute off my time. 6:10? Holy hell. I do sets at about 7:30, but I really haven't had the desire to go into that zone that feels like slow death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimmy d wrote:
I did 7:11 at about that weight in my early thirties. I did the same about two years ago at 46. I can't imagine taking another minute off my time. 6:10? Holy hell. I do sets at about 7:30, but I really haven't had the desire to go into that zone that feels like slow death.

A hard 2k is one of the most painful things I've ever subjected my body to... Honestly there were times I got to 1200-1400m and just had to stop because I was going to puke. 6k tests are also brutal but in a more mental way. I've only done a few as the standard when I was rowing was 5k at the junior level.

The toughest part of a 2k is getting up to to the split you need quickly. If you shoot for 1:32-1:33 500s you will end up closer to a 6:12 as the first 15 seconds you need to build the speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Concept2 VO2 max estimator has you at 78!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your SPM rate when you are at 1:33/500? Do you vary it or do you tend to stay at a given rate? That is way out of my league, obviously. I can imagine opening with that kind of speed and then lasting about ten strokes before conceding and going back to my own reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will vary greatly, but around 34spm.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimmy d wrote:
What is your SPM rate when you are at 1:33/500? Do you vary it or do you tend to stay at a given rate? That is way out of my league, obviously. I can imagine opening with that kind of speed and then lasting about ten strokes before conceding and going back to my own reality.

33-36spm. I haven't done a 2k test in a long time though. I absolutely HATE the rowing machine now. Probably because I spent 5 years of my life on one.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [LegendRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LegendRider wrote:
The Concept2 VO2 max estimator has you at 78!!!

Sure when I was 17... It was probably a bit higher (low 80's) later that year as I put on a little bit of weight later in that summer while training for worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
II usually settle at 26-27 SPM. I may screw up the courage to try the higher stroke rate for the 2000, but then I can imagine it will burn a hole in my lungs and my soul.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used a concept 2 for many years before i took up cycling. i would not recommend it for you. when you slide forward your knee will be flexed and in front of the toes, this is a dangerous position for the knee with a lot of shear forces if you push off forcefully. i would check with an experienced professional before taking the plunge.

Quote | Reply
timeforacompact wrote:
i used a concept 2 for many years before i took up cycling. i would not recommend it for you. when you slide forward your knee will be flexed and in front of the toes, this is a dangerous position for the knee with a lot of shear forces if you push off forcefully. i would check with an experienced professional before taking the plunge.

If you are doing this your technique is poor.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
another high level rower chiming in:

concept2 is definitely the standard and is probably the easiest to find, both used, as well as replacement parts.

oartec makes probably the best erg i've ever used - it is much more technique driven, it is basically a concept2 on sliders. i'd imagine more expensive.

Concept 2 is most durable rower I have ever used. I used it at the gym and then decided to get one for myself at home. I am using it for the last 3 years and never encountered a single problem with it. It's expensive but delivers great value in the long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe a concept 2 ski erg might be better on your knee? It's hard. Kayak or canoe is also an option maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5HJ2QV2zg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for concept two. I bought one on craigslist, used it for three years till I moved, and sold it for the same price. If you get a good price on a used one, even if it doesn't work out, you wont lose any money,.

As far as form, watch a few videos or something first. I have a tear in my meniscus too, but its too small for surgery. I don't notice it on the rower, but I have been rowing for years. I would talk to your doctor or PT first though.

As far as these 2k times everyone is posting, now I'm all jacked up and want to try the new ergs that my gyp just got. My best time from high school was 6:39, that was almost 20 years ago at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former competitive rower, Concept 2 is the only choice IMHO. C2 has decades of making rowing machines and all the USA rowing tests are done on C2 (or they used to be). there is even a World Indoor Rowing Championships on Concept 2 rowers of course (CRASH-Bs)

Bit of trivia: Charles River All Star Has-Been's (is how they got the name).
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my Model C since around 97. Used it sporadically for most of the time but still have several million meters on it. Been on it seriously again for the last year or so when I developed a hip injury from cycling.

I also just got the skierg. It will probably be easier on your knee(s) as the most you do is a 1/4 to 1/3 squat on the drive. It will also help with your swimming strength as it uses many or most of the same muscles.

Like the rower, it's a beast of a workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about a vasa with a swim rowing attachment. get a swim machine too..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you try before you buy. I have a torn meniscus like you; I hopped on a C2 the other day at the gym to warm up before lifting and about 6 minutes in, I got that dreaded pop in the knee.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [openwheel11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was into Rowing for a few years before I started Triathlon. Tough, tough workouts - superb cardio and most muscle groups working hard.

Concept 2 has great online support too - tracking your workouts & times.

As has been said, the 2000m still gives me shudders - I got to 6:48 I think, and that was just hell. On the other end of the spectrum, I used to do the odd 21km and even did one 42km - also hell in a different way.

I'll go back to it when I'm no longer allowed to run.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another one to chime in - what is it about rowers switching to triathlon?
Reeling from the 6:10 as a junior at 165, that is going some...

My perspective: 19 years of rowing, got down to a 5:54, rowed seriously until 38. Still can bang out a 6:10 most days of the week. I just try not to row or erg any more.

If you have the cash for a personal machine, and don't mind noise and not great storage, Rowperfect. Significantly the best machine I've used.
Otherwise, the C2 is a safe and sensible bet. They are indestructible. We have in the club I work for machines from 2006 which get used day in, day out by big strong guys working at serious pace. They are still ticking well.
Within C2, I'd rank:
Model D/E with slides: much lighter on bodies and brain.
Standard model D/E
Dynamic: way down the back, at the back of the boatshed with a bullet in it. The worst product C2 has made.

Other stuff:
Oartec - new machine looks really good, and the old ones were good. Not sure how exactly scores compare to C2.
WaterRower: the monitor is meaningless. However, for exercise, it's solid enough and less loud than anything else.
Other stuff: avoid, generally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered the Vasa Kayak Erg? I personally use their SwimErg and have had huge success building up swim specific power. Vasa's Erg are top quality. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_oJTgWSNz0
https://vasatrainer.com/...ng-ergo/#prettyPhoto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mixed rowing and running for years, rowing much more when I had never ending calf strains. I always retained my runnig fitness even after a 3 month break once - came back and within a week as was running well again.
Concept 2 is the one to get. You can always sell them second hand for probably 2/3rd of what you originally paid.Dont think you will be able to fold it away as that is much harder than it seems and in my view it needs to be out all the time to make best use of it. Saying that I often used to take it onto the patio.

I had a couple of coached sessions which really helped with technique having never rowed on the water. I concentrated on distance really, I never broke 7:00 for 2K - only 1 second in the Crash b's in Boston.

Lots of 20 strokes per minute workouts that really build strength and endurance. I had to stop when I started taking anti-depressants and they made me give up much too easily when it got a bit too hard. I would hold 2:00 per 500m on the clock and when it flipped to 2:03 occasionally I would give up. I could probably go back to it again as I have become much more accustomed to them after 10 years of taking the tablets.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 years experience using/training athletes on the Concept 2 rowing ergometer. You will be very happy to the quality, durability. Concept 2 get high grades across the board. It's a great American success story. Do you guys know that Emily Dreissigacker just competed as a biathlete in the 2018 Winter Olympics? Amazing family.

As far as having a meniscus tear and embarking on a rowing machine regimen, eh, like others have said, I'd be careful with that. Make sure you complete a couple of 5' sessions at moderate effort to see if you're going to hold up. And then build up from there. Keep in touch with this board as you go. There are many ex rowers/current rowers who can and are willing to help.

Others have mentioned Oartec and Rowperfects, which I have also have experience with, but save your money. I have nothing against them, but for what you're trying to accomplish, you simply don't need them. These machines are more for simulating what it feels like to row in a boat which it doesn't sound like you'll be doing anytime soon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next