Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NCAA Get Real? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you guys think of this?

Instead of trying to decide if the "Seminoles" or the "Blue Devils" or the "Deamon Deacons" are offensive, why not just do away with nicknames/mascots in the NCAA?

Do we really need the "Tar Hills", when everyone knows who UNC is? Isn't USC just fine being USC, do we really need the "Trojans"?

What's wrong with just having Illinois v. Indiana, instead of the "Fightin' Illini v. The Hoosiers"?

Again, do we really need the Huskers, The Sooner, The Longhorns ... wouldn't folks buy just as much merchandise and enjoy the game just as much if it were just "Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas"?

--------------------

I like the mascots, but at some point too much emphasis is being made on the offensiveness and the harm that poor Ralphie, Uga, and other animal mascots suffer (<--sarcasm).

At some point, is having mascots just "not worth all the crap that comes with it"?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it's never going to get to the logical extreme. That's why they call it an extreme. But let's assume there are only twenty organizations with differing standards... and those standards are not going to be limited to mascot names, there will be other requirements, too... even that becomes unworkable. I just think this is a ridiculous issue for the NCAA to be spearheading.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Get Real? [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok but seriously, what's a hokie?

muwahahaha.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Get Real? [nyladigm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's what comes right before the Pokie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude... you got me. But surely it offends somebody! We should ban any team using it as a mascot from post-season play.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a turkey, I don't get it, but it's a turkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, see...there you go. All you have to do is make up some weird name and adopt it as your mascot and nobody gets offended. Unless its some inside joke about someone that gets out? But that'll never happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, no one really seems to get bent out of shape by the South Carolina Gamecocks referring to themselves (and on merchandise) simply as "The Cocks".

I personally think Morehead State should change its offensive name (More ... head) ... or get a more clever mascot, because we all know what their fans mean when they chant "More head. More head. More head."

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Get Real? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has alway been a frustrating situation to me. FSU has always had the OK of the seminole nation. I've heard that they donate to their charitable causes. So that makes sense, if the people directly affected don't care what right do unaffected people have to complain. The Illini quandry is that no Illini descendants exist so they can not approve of the symbol or school nickname. Doesn't that beg the question of who exactly should be offended? And if no living people have a direct claim to being offended..........

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in college, we had an IM team calledthe BFA, named after our beloved IM director, the Big Fucking Asshole. We told anyone who asked that it meant Ben Franklin Admirers.

a couple of years ago, a Colorado school with a large Indian (Native american) population had an IM team call themselves "The Fighting Whities", on the back of the shirts it read "How do you like it?"

What I can't stand is that stupid FSU war chant the idiot Atlanta Brave fans copied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Get Real? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the Fighting Whities. I thought it was hilarious. Of course, I am the type that like the Fighting Irish too. I am white and half Irish.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Get Real? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FSU Seminoles have been removed from the NCAA's list. Reasons sited were the long-standing, respectful and beneficial relationship between the Seminole tribe and Florida State University.

FSU was very upset that the word "hostile" was interpreted from "Seminole".

The article was in an Illinois newspaper, focusing on the fact that Illinois's situation is different than FSU.

Illinois may need to drop its "fightin'" part of the title, but they are determined to keep the "Illini" as their nickname. I personally want to see Chief Illiniwek gone. The stupid dancing around at halftime offends me ... for no other reason than it's dumb. Chief, fold you arms, stand at the end of the endzone, and look brave, strong, and wise.

=======================
Quote Reply

Prev Next