Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [The_Aesthete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Aesthete wrote:
logella wrote:
It's not the cross-training that makes me sad. It's the lack of knowledge of the the history of US cycling. Read up on Heiden and Team 7-Eleven.

Ah....I see. I've been sucked into the Euro cycling lore, but it's true, I haven't spent much time on US cycling. Any good reading to suggest (other than google's hits)?

Hearts of Lions by Peter Nye.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art Longsjo of Mass. was the first olympian to compete in both summer and winter games in the same year, 1956. he was a cyclist and skater.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Longsjo

Quote | Reply
watched a 30 minute bio on Clara Hughes on the olympic channel last weekend. Highly recommend it. Such a wonderful person in addition to being a great cyclist and skater. There was something special about that great smile and obvious joy as she carried and waved the flag during the opening ceremony in Vancouver, after the battles with depression and eating disorders.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunch of the Cdn national team skaters, including WR holders, are pretty competent cyclists and when they show up the local rides put a hurting pace on that keeps even the Cat1/2 guys honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Hearts of Lions by Peter Nye.
. This. +1.
Art Longsjo was a bad-ass, tragic story.

XC skate skiing is very similar to speed skating.
Davis Phinney ski'd competitively at end of his cycling career, for factory XC team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.theartofreallyliving.com/new-page/

I went to elementary school with John K Coyle. Silver medalist in short track speed skating at the Lillehammer Olympics, and world class track cyclist.

He trained under Mike Walden and with the Wolverine Sports Club.

Amazing guy. If you have the time, read his blog. Maybe start with the 8 part series on his trip to the World Championships in Morrocco as a teenager.

Quote Reply

Prev Next