Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wear a two piece. Mainly its a fit issue. I have a really short torso (even more short than most traditionally size for women) and I can not get a good fit with a one piece. As I typically race long course races, I like having the option of switching shorts after the bike when transitioning to the run. And you mentioned wearing different brands. I also usually do this. I have yet to find a pair of shorts (from our team's uniform supplier) that are as nice as my desotos. I tend to wear my team jersey with my desotos.

I would love an option of a short sleeve jersey. I tend to train in short sleeves for added sun protection so it would be great to race in short sleeves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will always wear a 2 piece. Because it's easier to use the bathroom, even if it's only before and after the race if it's a short one.
Even if you made the most amazing looking one piece in the universe, I still won't wear it because I don't want to have to completely undress in the porta-potty.

AND, I prefer a built in bra - I don't have a 'crowded balcony' and I hate layers. So If it's one and done, great. I don't want to have to wear a tri top PLUS a sports bra. Ugh. That's just 'too much' going on. I feel for the larger chested ladies who have to do this. Must be a bummer.

I think one person put it well - there's no consensus.
Women come in far too many different shapes and sizes! It's wonderful on one hand, because variety is the spice of life... but it makes it TOUGH to create a clothing line.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. During my shop days, it seemed shelf bra's were unpopular even with "crowded balcony's"... it seems women just prefer to use what they like and works for them.

As for the "there's no consensus"... that was me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I was trying to convey that I like the shelf bra and prefer something built in to nothing. Not sure if that was clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer 2 pieces but I know some women who don't. Personally I think if shorts that worked for women were everywhere, there would be less women wanting a one piece tri suit. Whatever you do do not build in a bra. Let women pick the bra that works for them. And there is a trend towards cute but very functional women's gear (SOAS, Coeur and a couple others) so it seems more are going to same brand top/bottom.

I've recently started wearing (men's) bibs more and love them, I would love for women's specific bibs to be available, cycling and tri. I wouldn't race in them but I'd wear them a lot for training.

When I first started tris I wore a one pieced. But now I think even the most fit people look ridiculous in them. Especially if they aren't all one color. For some reason I don't think it looks bad on the ITU people, but on everyone else it makes me cringe.

I might be up for a sleeved top, mostly to keep sun off the shoulders, but I don't know I'd wear it in WTC non wetsuit legal races, having it pushed up over the shoulders seems uncomfy for the swim.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Jan 27, 14 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duh... not sure what I was reading!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta love the lack of consensus - although there do seem to be trends!

I have worn both one piece and two. Lately more two piece because I am a mix and matcher (gasp!) AND I like the build in's - so if my one pieces don't have built in's I will often train in those, but race in a two piece that does have a 'jog bra' style top. don't care about ease of bathroom because getting sweaty spandex back on a sweaty body doesn't work anyway, so I just let it fly (gasp x 2!)

I would consider a cap sleeve option for sun and warmth. I admit, I think watching people run in bike jerseys looks weird, so unless it was designed really well I would opt for sleeveless.

styling matters to me because I hate looking like the brick shit-house I am - so anything that reduces that (black) is helpful!

Got the deSoto full back cooling sleeves last year and loved them for a non-humid race - suffered in a humid race (on the run) due to lack of evaporation - should have thought it through better! overall was super happy with the purchase!

Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer a 2 piece tri suit for all distances. Ideally any tri top would not have a built in bra. I could go without a sports bra and no one would notice. Support is not an issue. The problem that I've found with built in sports bras is that they are too short/tight at the top of the shoulders. The best tri and running shorts have a low and thicker waist band (SOAS tri shorts and Lululemon speed shorts). The only one piece tri suit that I've worn and liked was made by Kiwami. It's a unisex suit and not the most flattering (on me) but it was a great suit to wear for an Ironman. It felt like I wasn't wearing anything at all.. Wonderful fabric.
I would not wear any tri top with sleeves. But then again, I live in Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1pc swimsuit for racing through HIM; 2 pc for full IM. However... I'm now post baby and thinking of trying a 1 pc option... always sleeveless unless training temps require more.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Last edited by: KT-tri: Jan 30, 14 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two piece always, sleeveless and preferably racer-back style and longer so I don't get the "tramp stamp" sunburn lines, for all distances.

I have seen very few one-pieces that I thought looked good, even on people with great bodies, and I know I'm going to have to hit the port-a-potty before, during, and/or right after a race of any distance.

After a couple of years of trial and error, I found some shorts that work well for me even for IM distance and I'll be wearing those until they're no longer fit to be worn in public. (Unfortunately, the company has a "new and improved??" version that I really don't like, so once I recover from an injury and drop the weight I've gained since I got hurt, I'll be in the market.) I alternate tops among a couple of clubs I belong to. I prefer the built-in shelf bra (lighter, dries faster) but none of my "official" tops have one since most of the women in my groups prefer not to have them. I'm in Houston with high temps and high humidity - I prefer a good sunscreen to more fabric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wear one piece for sprint, shorts and something else for HIM and change for each leg of an IM (swimsuit, bibs/jersey, running shorts, new top). I would wear 2 piece but for teh flab factor and i like to have my shoulders covered here in the tropics to protect from the sun. winter time is when we drag out our sleeveless stuff.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
try the DeSoto one piece - they fit AWESOME

LOVE the compression but the chafing in the groin area killed it for me. i'm going to try it again in a sprint (and loss of weight) but i read the same complaint from a skinny girl too so not sure if that will do it.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
Hello all,

Let me preface this by saying that I've got no concrete numbers/details, but it seems that women tend to prefer the two piece option for tri clothing instead of a one-piece racing suit (of course there's exceptions). Is this accurate? Is it a matter of convenience? Fit? Versatility (picking one brand for short, and a different one for the top)... I'm trying to gather some information and figured this is a good forum.

Also, with the trend we're starting to see of short sleeved options for tri tops/suits, is this something you (as a woman triathlete) see adopting? or will you continue to opt for the sleeveless options?

Thanks!
2-piece sleeveless only, when racing.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep revising what I do, but at moment this is what I am doing:
I would love to just race in tri shorts and a jogbra but my issue is sunburn. It's too hard to sunscreen my back by myself and you never know if volunteers will be there to put sunscreen on you.
So I do the swim (with a swimskin/wetsuit) in trishorts/jogbra, then slip on a bike jersey that zips up from the bottom. No pulling it over my head!! Quick and easy,
This is faster than trying to make sure I don't miss spots on my back with sunscreen. I do longer events (20+ Ironmans, 9x Kona) so ten extra seconds in transition typically is not crucial. I can't go from being inside all winter to suddenly having the sun beating down on my back for 5-12 hours.
I also like extra long jogbras that go well down onto my ribs so that I am not always yanking them down. Swimmers shoulders here.
I should confess, the last I looked I am the only one in my AG in my next 70.3 (Panama) so it does take the pressure off of fast transitions.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would love to just race in tri shorts and a jogbra but my issue is sunburn. It's too hard to sunscreen my back by myself and you never know if volunteers will be there to put sunscreen on you.

I do this, with this: http://www.amazon.com/...inuous/dp/B0063A432W

It's nice to get a cool spray in transition, but expect a lot of wolf whistles if you race long in just your sports bra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an one piece as my first tri suit - Zoot. I chose it because of price and reasonable shipping costs to my country. Figured out that if I will get an incorrect size the money I lose isn't that big. After 2 seasons I definitely prefer a two piece, but probably I will discontinue tris because ofknee problems. Last year I bought a tri top but did not manage to buy separate shorts yet.
I prefer the two piece because:
easy to put on and take off, also easier for bathroom breaks
can get a light colored top and dark colored bottom - I do not want to go all black in hot weather but I look horrible in sky blue one piece sausage skin.
hope for a wider choice with longer inseam for the shorts
can get a different size shorts and top

And please - do not have the in built in bras for all the tops, they are really ridiculous! I have a C cup and the bra does not provide any support at all. At the same time the lower seam runs exactly across my breasts, really ugly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
Hello all,

Let me preface this by saying that I've got no concrete numbers/details, but it seems that women tend to prefer the two piece option for tri clothing instead of a one-piece racing suit (of course there's exceptions). Is this accurate? Is it a matter of convenience? Fit? Versatility (picking one brand for short, and a different one for the top)... I'm trying to gather some information and figured this is a good forum.

Also, with the trend we're starting to see of short sleeved options for tri tops/suits, is this something you (as a woman triathlete) see adopting? or will you continue to opt for the sleeveless options?

Thanks!

One piece for sprints & Olympic distance, 2 piece for HIM & IM - always sleeveless.

I don't like sleeves at the best of times so I don't see wanting to wear them while racing, however, I'm thinking of picking up DeSoto arm coolers to wear for some of the really hot days.

Forward is a pace!
I get to represent Betty Designs for the 2014 season
http://www.bettydesigns.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next