Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Cranks vs. Power - Tap
Quote | Reply
Ok - got a gear question here:

Right now, I have a bike which is set up with PowerCranks. For those of you who do not know what these are, they are a medieval-like torture device which cause extreme pain in the exercised legs. :'-( What they actually are, is a pedal system which has its cranks free from each other. I.e. if you push down on the left crank, it does NOT push the righ one up. This basically forces you to turn the pedal 360 degrees around the bottom bracket. This does two things:
(1) Makes you pedal the 360 degrees - circles and not just "try" to thereby rounding out your pedal-stroke; and
(2) Builds up your hip flexors which might show added benefits in running.

My coach doesn't see any benefit - although he hasn't used them nor has he done any research on them. He does suggest that I sell them and pick up some sort of power-meter instead (like a Power-Tap or SRM).

My question isn't which power meter should I use, it's does anyone see more benefit to training with PCs or with a power meter?

Thanks in advance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks vs. Power - Tap [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a coach, don't have power cranks and I have no idea if you should use a power meter or not. I just think that a coach who is not willing to try a new idea (especially one that does have a lot of testimonials, if not scientific study) is not a very good coach. To me a good coach is someone who is willing to take your input as well and not be so rigid in their approach. That is my opinion. My best coaches in other sports have been those that are willing to work with the athlete, not just dictate. Sure there are times when a coach needs to lay down the law but I don't think this is one of those times.

Although if you do decide to sell your power cranks send me an email. I might be interested for a good price. Thought about trying them - my biking and running sure can't get any worse.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get a powertap, or an ergomo (www.ergomo-usa.com), keep the powercranks, write down improvements and tell your coach you do see a value in the PC...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have power cranks, but would descibe myself as a cautiously optimistic user-basically jury still out. But-I agree with the comment about the coach being closed minded. I know a well respected coach that thinks power cranks are the most valuable training tool out there and he does not sell them or otherwise have a financial interest.
Quote Reply