Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

marathon 1st timer question
Quote | Reply
I'm running my first marathon tomorrow... and I was wondering if their are rules about receiving food/drink from spectators...... i.e. my husband... can he hand me bananas and water along the route?
Quote Reply
Re: marathon 1st timer question [azulfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that it would be fine for someone to hand you stuff in 99.9% of the races out there, maybe 100%. In NYC, people handed out hard candy and more to strangers. Can't see why it would be a problem...saw someone on a bike handing stuff to someone at a marathon a couple of weeks ago. If you weren't told it was prohibited, I'd go for it...
Quote Reply
Re: marathon 1st timer question [azulfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'ts been a couple decades since I checked the rulebook, but I think outside aid is prohibited. I also think it's only enforced for the elete athletes. After the first few thousand people go by, folks are on the honor system. I wouldn't sweat it if you wanted a personal hand-off along the way. Good luck on your first marathon!

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply
Re: marathon 1st timer question [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year's Detroit Marathon had an unofficial aid station called the O'Brien Third Annual 22-Mile-Marker It Ain't No Joke Free Beer and Smokes Marathon Party

http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0310/01/a02-286096.htm

Sounds like fun.
Quote Reply