Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 14 edition
Quote | Reply
I hope the Canadian wimmens had a good Thanksgiving!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 14 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals had been 10k swim (almost, and fine with what I did), under 40 mi running (did more than that due to stress), and get back on the bike (DONE!)

M - 8 mi run (speedwork, quarters) + 3000 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 2000 yd swim
W - 9 mi run + 30 min. stairmaster
T - 20 mi bike + 6 mi run
F - 9 mi run + 35 min. stair master
S - 1:28 stairmaster + 4500 yd swim
S - 9 mi run (speed 7 x 1 mi, 1 min recoveries. 2 @ 7:13, 7:08, 7:05, last at 6:58)

totals 9500 yd swim, 20 mi bike, 50 mi run, 2:33 stairmaster, some walking miles

Rough week with food... 5/7 good days (the 2 bad ones contributed to the extra running miles).
Goals for this week: at least 10k swim, ride 2x, run 40 ish miles. Get back on track with food. Humph.
On the good side of things, I randomly found an AWESOME Christmas present for my mom :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 14, 13 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope everyone had a great week!

Last week
I got 60.7 miles running, including a 20 miler w/ last 10 at MP. Now 2 weeks until marathon. I HATE taper. sigh.
no bike, but I didn't really expect to get on my bike.
2 swims.

TC- After swimming consistently all summer, 2-3 x week, this week I had the first time drop. I'm so excited. I was really questioning if it was worth it. I want to work up to 10-15 K a week. still a guppy, but moving in the right direction

This week
40 miles running
3 x swim
no bike

Happy training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was OK. It was a recovery week for me... as I had beat myself up pretty good that weekend. I finally felt decent come Thursday, and did a morning workout that morning. Prior to that I still felt too wiped out for any morning workouts, so I only did some easy short evening ones. :)
Friday woke up with a full blown cold! Ugh! NOOOOOOO!!!! Husband and I are signed up for a CX race on Saturday.
Husband spends so much time working on my CX bike on Friday night that I felt I HAD to race on Saturday. There was a really low turnout, only 4 of us gals, so auto podium as long as I finish. Was miserable during the race... but took 4th. Horrid low back pain during the last two laps.
Took a lie down with my outdoor blanket while husband raced.
Did nothing on Sunday but watch movies. Back pain was pretty bad.
Tried making thin sandwich buns for my breakfast sandwiches on Sunday night. They came out just OK... a little thin and tough... I don't think my dough rose enough (It's never really that warm in our house, so I googled what to do better next time).
Anyway, since I was sick and tired and cranky all weekend, I ate like crap.
Got on the scale this morning and ugh. I hope it's off a little. :P

This week's task - determine new eating strategy... last year when I lived away from home during the week it was MUCH easier to control this. It will be OK. I just have to realize I'm MUCH smaller than the husband and I can't just eat like he does, we are just different sexes, sizes, and have different needs.
I tend to overeat. Which is why though I wasn't trying to lose weight, I was still tracking all my food because if left to my own devices, I will overeat all the time and at every meal. It's like I don't know when to stop.

Still have a cold today. Employing my secret weapon of chicken broth with red pepper flakes.
Goals for this week are to - kick the cold, ease back into training.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 14 edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
TC- After swimming consistently all summer, 2-3 x week, this week I had the first time drop. I'm so excited. I was really questioning if it was worth it. I want to work up to 10-15 K a week. still a guppy, but moving in the right direction

Congrats!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 14 edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I tend to overeat. Which is why though I wasn't trying to lose weight, I was still tracking all my food because if left to my own devices, I will overeat all the time and at every meal. It's like I don't know when to stop.

The best advice I've ever come across is "being hungry is like being in love." (meaning you absolutely positively know it). I try to think... is my stomach still growling? Am I eating ice cream because I am hungry, because I want a bowl of ice cream (which is also okay), or because I am upset over something (in which case, re-evaluate)?

I don't know if that helps but I thought I'd throw it out there. Hope you feel better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good but stressful week. Didn't get to any SS due to work and being out of town, but going back Wed. Got in 4 runs including a nice trail one with the dog in the Okanagan Sun. Ate too much, but am down ~6lbs since 3 weeks ago, so it's going in the right direction. The more I got outside and in the sun especially, the better I felt. I am debating taking some Vit D - I don't drink milk regularly so I am pretty sure I don't get enough of it. When the weather is very grey & rainy and I don't get outside at lunch, I find I get very lethargic and crave comfort foods. Worth a try I guess.

This week:
- XC race on Sat
- SSx2 (2nd session will be after my XC race so I might be a bit tired :-))
- 2 more runs and maybe a ride to work one day.
- try to get out at lunch 3 days this week... even if it's just a walk.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK week. Missed a couple of runs. Wasn't feeling well for one of them and the other was bad timing. I am seeing a trainer at my club, have some free sessions, and she kicked my ass Thursday. I had to leave work early so I wasn't able to run before the session which I like to do. She kicked my ass so hard I wasn't able to do my run afterwards :-(

Anywhoo... I did a 10k on Saturday that was fun. I had 0 plans to try and do anything other than run as hard as I could for as long as I could and see what happened. There was no pacing plan, just run hard. I didn't get a PR but I was 10 minutes faster than a 10k I did a year ago so not back. Here is how I wrote it up on my blog:

Mile 0 - 1 = What??? That's cray cray! I'll never hold this!
Mile 1 - 2 = Ok, this is good. Hold this plz
Mile 2 - 3 = Um, pace isn't going in the correct direction but still overall I'm cool.
Mile 3 - 4 = Crap. PR is slipping away
Mile 4 - 5 = Ruh roh. Hill.
Mile 5 - 6 = C'mon dammit! Ruuuunnnn!!!!!
Last .2 = I'm given her all she's got, Captain!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Oct 14, 13 21:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taper weeks are always a toss up for me - whether they're going to be miserably whiny & mean or just so-so with exhaustion. Luckily this one was just exhaustion as my body bounced back a bit from a couple of brutal high-volume months in the water.

Swim the Suck 10mile on Saturday - another fabulous event. The weather was great, the temperatures perfect (water around 74* was almost too warm). A good bit of rough water at the start & at the finish kept everyone honest & sucked away my will to live for a bit, but it made pushing through gratifying. GREAT rhythym in the middle with the gorge walls on either side, the sun shining down & a good tempo set by my pilot. Passing & putting distance in on the group that comprised about 8th through 17th or so. For awhile we were pulling in the front group but I faded a bit towards the end as the water got rough again & I was running out of gas. Need to be more strict on the early feedings & push a bit harder early on. Conceded a position down the stretch to someone that dropped 45+ minutes off his total time from last year - I can't be mad at that!!! And I honestly couldn't answer his charge, he had the benefit of chasing me down whereas I was just desperately trying to hold him off. Stings a little being out-touched by :10 in a 10mile race...but I'm absolutely not disappointed & thrilled for both of us. We kept each other honest & made it hurt to get where we were, so that's a win. My whole group turned up great results, including an overall win & some really solid times. Couldn't be happier with the day.

3:28:53, 7th overall, 4th female

Now....it's amazing to know the only reason that I have to go to the pool for a bit is to coach - I don't have to swim. Got the latest addition to the body canvas last night & can fully say that I believe I'm done adding. This one HURT, but was so very worth it. Safe House Tattoo Studio here in Nashville, Chipper Harbin, bleeping amazing.N (at some point I may even figure out how to post a picture...until then it's visible on my twitter account @allisonrware)

"You are not but a drop in the ocean, you are the entire ocean in one drop." Rumi (http://www.strategystream.com/...ocean-in-the-drop-2/)
"I have one small drop of knowing in my soul. Let it dissolve in your ocean." Rumi

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 14 edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

HUGE CONGRATS. You're my swimming hero. I'm super impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Started strong this week with the run (45 min, including 5 min warm up and 10 min cooldown) and bike (1 solid hour), but wasn't in a good headspace for the rest of the week. Saturday came around and I had a blast watching the Kona coverage with the team and then went to a concert and pulled my neck.

The last two days have been insane pain, with every little turn of my head aching, but I knew I'd feel better if I got through today's 30 min ride (which was easy once I found a position that didn't hurt my neck - zero aero).

Back at work after 3 weeks off, so really happy to have structure to my days - I do better fitting all the things in when I'm busy.

Looking forward to getting all the workouts in this week, leading up to Sunday's 10k run. It's a costume race, but I'll be jog/walk alternating and just getting in a good workout - I'm terrified of racing at this point and hurting myself... any more. Back to ice packs and advil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I give my husband a subtle "hungry or bored?" when he makes his (3+) nightly wanderings to the kitchen. His reactions have slowly improved from angry grumbles and grabbing a handful of chips anyway to resigned nodding and returning to his chair.

I think I'm going to start a new thread - I know we have a LOT of food/diet issues and perspectives among the womens and I'd love to hear plans/perspectives/theories/pros/cons.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to last week's racers (JenSW) and Aware. Way to represent the Womens.

Last week was a horrible attempt at training for me. I will blame two things - my parents visit and a cold.

Last week's goals were:
2 swims - done but only because it was before my parents arrived.
3 rides - only 1.5 done. On Thursday, I kept coughing and couldnt breath so I stopped after the warmup.
3 runs - got 1 in and it was a poor attempt. Not sure if it could actually be called running but I tried.
1 strength- nope

And since last week was so amazing, my coach is just going to have me repeat. All works are exactly the same, except for the swims.

This week's goals are
2 swims
3 rides
3 runs
1 strength

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:

Now....it's amazing to know the only reason that I have to go to the pool for a bit is to coach - I don't have to swim. Got the latest addition to the body canvas last night & can fully say that I believe I'm done adding. This one HURT, but was so very worth it. Safe House Tattoo Studio here in Nashville, Chipper Harbin, bleeping amazing.N (at some point I may even figure out how to post a picture...until then it's visible on my twitter account @allisonrware)

Congratulations!! Here you go:

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 14 edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! I need you to move in with me so you can ask me the same thing....whaddaya think?

I DO think I'll make a sign for the fridge though....maybe the pantry too...and the wine holder...and the countertop....

or maybe I can just work on my willpower.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha! Maybe when I need to escape our little apartment with the two of us and 3 cats ^_~

Fun little motivation signs can be a nice way of reminding... or just stocking the right things (I don't keep ice cream, candy, or cookies in the house).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW - beautiful!!! Amazing work on the swim!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some awesome successes in The Womens last week! Congrats to all!

Last week's goals:
Run x 3 - WIN with 4, including an awesome trail run on Saturday
Swim x 4 - FAIL. 2 only.
Bike x 2 - WIN, including my first ride ever on a tandem bike!
Core/strength x 4 - WIN
Canoe x 1 - WIN

A rather impromptu camping trip happened from Saturday to yesterday at Pinery Provincial Park. We had amazing weather other than some showers on Saturday evening (still mild temperatures), ate way too much, hiked 7 out of the 9 trails at the park, rented and rode a tandem bike around the multi-use trail (slightly terrifying!), and finally got the canoe that was given to us two weeks ago into the water.

That right there? That's a girl who couldn't be any happier.

As the icing on the cake, we got to see two incredible Lake Huron sunsets.

Best. Thanksgiving. Ever. CAMPSGIVING!

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 2
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 3
Shake the idiot cold that I seem to have caught

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote:
Taper weeks are always a toss up for me - whether they're going to be miserably whiny & mean or just so-so with exhaustion. Luckily this one was just exhaustion as my body bounced back a bit from a couple of brutal high-volume months in the water.

Swim the Suck 10mile on Saturday - another fabulous event. The weather was great, the temperatures perfect (water around 74* was almost too warm). A good bit of rough water at the start & at the finish kept everyone honest & sucked away my will to live for a bit, but it made pushing through gratifying. GREAT rhythym in the middle with the gorge walls on either side, the sun shining down & a good tempo set by my pilot. Passing & putting distance in on the group that comprised about 8th through 17th or so. For awhile we were pulling in the front group but I faded a bit towards the end as the water got rough again & I was running out of gas. Need to be more strict on the early feedings & push a bit harder early on. Conceded a position down the stretch to someone that dropped 45+ minutes off his total time from last year - I can't be mad at that!!! And I honestly couldn't answer his charge, he had the benefit of chasing me down whereas I was just desperately trying to hold him off. Stings a little being out-touched by :10 in a 10mile race...but I'm absolutely not disappointed & thrilled for both of us. We kept each other honest & made it hurt to get where we were, so that's a win. My whole group turned up great results, including an overall win & some really solid times. Couldn't be happier with the day.

Congrats! I know you did that last year too (didn't trackieclm do it too?) - is that a PR for you?
What do you do for feedings for that distance?

In Reply To:
Now....it's amazing to know the only reason that I have to go to the pool for a bit is to coach - I don't have to swim.
I know the tattoo will keep you out of the water for a bit, right, but I laughed at this because I know you love to swim so I read this and thought "that'll last about 2 days" ;-)

Psyched for you; awesome job!

Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 16, 13 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 14 edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gorgeous pictures!

Quote Reply