Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why should I care about NASA and the space program?
Quote | Reply
Where's the "...giant leap for mankind"? We are spending billions of $ sending astronauts and rovers to space and what are we getting in return? I admit, I'm still amazed that we can actually do it, but just because we can does that mean we should?

I'm not being critical just to be critical, I really want to know how sending our astronauts to the space station or rovers to Mars is benefitting us here on earth. I want to get fired up about space travel, but it just seems like all those billions of $ could be better spent here. Am I missing something here? I'm sure I am.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [Lieutenant_Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need to make space travel a viable self-sustaining enterprise through commercialization and/or developing new resources (moonwater, methane on Europa, whatever) in hand with the technology necessary to make use of those resources with a net positive effect. I agree with you, all we're doing right now is saying "look at us." Hubble etc have been good. The Mars landers have given us some useful info about what might compose Mars (what can be mined/extracted down the road). The Chinese are looking at space as a resource to be used, I guarantee that.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [Lieutenant_Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are being perfectly rational. I just happen to disagree.

Most scientific discoveries that have benefited our lives were not made by pursuing a practical objective. It was through accident and exploration. It's a gamble to explore space. We may find something that changes our concept of life here on this planet. Or we may find nothing at all. Ever. If we find benefits to space exploration, they may not materialize for decades or longer.

But without our willingness to explore and to try to understand the universe we live in, we leave ourselves open to stagnating as a society and as a species. With stagnation follows decline.

I know that doesn't put food in peoples mouths.

That's my rose colored view of things anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't until after I woke up a little that I realized that I was basically repeating a post that was put up yesterday. That's what I get for posting at 0630, prior to finishing my first cup of joe.

At this point in time, is it prudent for us to be spending the money on space travel? We're struggling to pay for the war on terror, social security, medicare, etc, etc. I realize that if we cut the NASA budget to $0 today, it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket for those other issues, but we gotta start somewhere.

I agree that many of the greatest discoveries occurred by "accident", especially in the medical field. So from that standpoint, I can see the argument for continuing space travel. But at this point I want something more tangible. Tell me what may be on the horizon, so that I will have more faith that we are not wasting our time. I guess that kind of a contradiction, huh. Guess what I'm really saying is "Tell me what it is you think you will discover by accident." HMmmmm.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The integrated circuit.

The Global Positioning Satelite constellation.

Inertial Navigation.

A significant amount of laser technology.

The communications satelite.

Satelite telephone.

Satelite Internet technology.

Significant fiber optic technology.

Significant aerodynamic, materials engineering, electronic and mechnical engineering reasearch and devleopment spun off into the civilian sector.

Laptop computers.

Personal Data Assistants.

Cell phone communications technology (in part).

Expanded computer memory capability.

Increased computer processing speed capability.

Increased understanding of hazardous material and quarantine procedures.

Reduction in cost of delivering commercial paylods to orbit by 80% or more.

Space based surveillance of areas of interest to national and international security.

Increased understanding of medical issues related to life support.

But other than that, yeah, the space program has pretty much been a waste.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you the Hubble telescope has proven its worth ($7-8 billion?) 100 times over, in terms of learning about physics and the Universe ... Unless you are a Creationist and believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and God Spoke and that caused the Big Bang, so why study it? in which case the telescope is worthless ;-)

Seriously, I was thinking about this while I was biking yesterday and watching the Blue Angels practice right over where I live. There is a big airshow here on Saturday. It got me thinking, that's 3.1 million + gallons of jet fuel they use every year (heard that on the local news) and us taxpayers pay for it I think its cool. Their purpose is to inspire awe, show people what jets are capabale of and promote the Navy and military and all that: I am so impressed and thinks its totally cool. On an emotional level, I like Nasa just because its cool, too. The space shuttle has flown missions that have broght back tons of valuable info. and insights, but down deep I like it just because its amazing what we can do that I am in awe of it ... And I am a pacifist pinko, by the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that Tom. Sometimes people don't take the "scientific" look.

Here's one I didn't see on your list:

Pajamas for kids that don't burst into flames. But that isn't really important, is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But other than that, yeah, the space program has pretty much been a waste.

I'll assume that was a rhetorical statement and not directed specifically at me, as my original post said nothing of the sort.

I also wasn't very specific in my original post. I'm all for the satellite technology for communications, surveillance, and hell maybe even to some respect national defense, as well as GPS, I do own a Garmin.

My bigger beef I guess is with the manned missions and missions to Mars and such. Cool? Hell yes! I was amazed as a kid and continue to be amazed, I mean who didn't want to be an astronaut when they were a kid.

It appears that a lot of the things you mentioned are by-products of the space program and weren't directly related to the mission. I doubt we created NASA to develop laptops, PDA's...

Increased understanding of medical issues related to life support. can you expand on this one a little?

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a few:

DIGITAL IMAGING BREAST BIOPSY SYSTEM - The LORAD Stereo Guide Breast Biopsy system incorporates advanced Charge Coupled Devices (CCDs) as part of a digital camera system. The resulting device images breast tissue more clearly and efficiently. Known as stereotactic large-core needle biopsy, this nonsurgical system developed with Space Telescope Technology is less traumatic and greatly reduces the pain, scarring, radiation exposure, time, and money associated with surgical biopsies.

BREAST CANCER DETECTION - A solar cell sensor is positioned directly beneath x-ray film, and determines exactly when film has received sufficient radiation and has been exposed to optimum density. Associated electronic equipment then sends a signal to cut off the x-ray source. Reduction of mammography x-ray exposure reduces radiation hazard and doubles the number of patient exams per machine.

LASER ANGIOPLASTY - Laser angioplasty with a "cool" type of laser, caller an excimer laser, does not damage blood vessel walls and offers precise non-surgical cleanings of clogged arteries with extraordinary precision and fewer complications than in balloon angioplasty.

ULTRASOUND SKIN DAMAGE ASSESSMENT - Advanced instrument using NASA ultrasound technology enables immediate assessment of burn damage depth, improving patient treatment, and may save lives in serious burn cases.

HUMAN TISSUE STIMULATOR - Employing NASA satellite technology, the device is implanted in the body to help patient control chronic pain and involuntary motion disorders through electrical stimulation of targeted nerve centers or particular areas of the brain.

COOL SUIT - Custom-made suit derived from space suits circulates coolant through tubes to lower patient's body/ temperature, producing dramatic improvement of symptoms of multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, spina bifida and other conditions.

PROGRAMMABLE PACEMAKER - Incorporating multiple NASA technologies, the system consists of the implant and a physician's computer console containing the programming and a data printer. Communicates through wireless telemetry signals.

OCULAR SCREENING - NASA image processing techniques are used to detect eye problems in very young children. An electronic flash from a 35-millimeter camera sends light into the child's eyes, and a photorefractor analyzes the retinal reflexes, producing an image of each eye.

AUTOMATED URINALYSIS - NASA fluid dynamics studies helped development of system that automatically extracts and transfers sediment from urine sample to an analyzer microscope, replacing the manual centrifuge method.

MEDICAL GAS ANALYZER - Astronaut-monitoring technology used to develop system to monitor operating rooms for analysis of anesthetic gasses and measurement of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen concentrations to assure proper breathing environment for surgery patients.

VOICE-CONTROLLED WHEELCHAIR - NASA teleoperator and robot technology used to develop chair and manipulator that respond to 35 one-word voice commands utilizing a minicomputer to help patient perform daily tasks, like picking up packages, opening doors, and turning on appliances.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Arteriosclerosis detection, ultrasound scanners, automatic insulin pump, portable x-ray device, invisible braces, dental arch wire, palate surgery technology, clean room apparel, implantable heart aid, MRI, bone analyzer, and cataract surgery tools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that space, although a friendly place right now, will become the future battleground for information and controlling that information. If we lose our technical expertise in space, we will lose our future. Think about our lives without all those things mentioned above. I personally cannot, although our lives would be much less complicated. Your life depends on our space exploration in the army? Pretty important if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's all pretty impressive stuff. Thanks for posting it. Doesn't appear that one of those innovations is directly attributable to the space travel/exploration itself. All collateral developments that arose from the technology used in space travel/exploration. Which is great, I'm happy that those developments came about, as was mentioned previously many medical innovations have come about by "accident" or not directly related to medical research.

I will definitely say that my attitude toward NASA and the space program is more positive than it was 5 hours ago when I posted my original question. Still not sure about the manned missions and travel to Mars and such though.

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [s98swim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a bona-fide no shitter. You are 100% right. Since the beginning of history, the guy who holds the high ground wins.

Space is the new high ground.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You people miss the biggest one of all: Tang.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As other have already mentioned many things have evolved directly or inderctly form teh space program. In fact I believe is it's NASA's policy that ANY technology or result from the program can be exploited by any private American company. Also I believe I saw somewhere, maybe on their website, they actively look for domestic partners to develop products.

No we likely aren't going to slap a Saturn V rocket into our VW Micro bus, but maybe much of teh vehicle is offshoot of studies, experminets etc etc from teh program.

"but it just seems like all those billions of $ could be better spent here."

Watching a show on one of the science channels the other day I was shocked to here this. "America and Europe spend roughly 12 Billion dollars a year on perfume. Thats only slightly less that NASA's yearly budget" Are we spending billions on the space program, sure, but are we spending an obscene amount, not IMHO.

From the actual estimated line item 2005 budget, line item 252, "space flight and supporting budgets" 15,325 millions or 15.3 billion dollars. I'm assuming most of this is NASA. In perspective this is only .64% of the national budget. Just flipping thru line items it would also appear that this is one of the smallest line items in the budget.

Frankly I'd like to see someone point out another government agency that we get as much out of for so little.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The below is from http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html:

Some of the most frequently asked questions about the U.S. space program are "Why go into space when we have so many problems here on Earth?" and "What does the space program do for me?" These are legitimate questions and unfortunately not enough people have been made aware of the vast benefits the space program provides that increase the quality of our daily lives. Applications on Earth of technology needed for space flight have produced thousands of "spinoffs" that contribute to improving national security, the economy, productivity and lifestyle. It is almost impossible to find an area of everyday life that has not been improved by these spinoffs. Collectively, these secondary applications represent a substantial return on the national investment in aerospace research. We should be spending more.

Out of a $2.4 trillion budget, less than 0.8% is spent on the entire space program! That's less than 1 penny for every dollar spent. The average American spends more of their budget on their cable bill, eating out or entertainment than this yet the benefits of space flight are remarkable. It has been conservatively estimated by U.S. space experts that for every dollar the U.S. spends on R and D in the space program, it receives $7 back in the form of corporate and personal income taxes from increased jobs and economic growth. Besides the obvious jobs created in the aerospace industry, thousands more are created by many other companies applying NASA technology in nonspace related areas that affect us daily. One cannot even begin to place a dollar value on the lives saved and improved lifestyles of the less fortunate. Space technology benefits everyone and a rising technological tide does raise all boats.

One small example is the Hubble Space Telescope. Much maligned at first because of its flawed optics, it still produced better photographs than anything here on Earth. Once fixed, it has produced even more startling scientific data which we have only begun to understand and apply. One of the many spinoffs from the Hubble telescope is the use of its Charge Coupled Device (CCD) chips for digital imaging breast biopsies. The resulting device images breast tissue more clearly and efficiently than other existing technologies. The CCD chips are so advanced that they can detect the minute differences between a malignant or benign tumor without the need for a surgical biopsy. This saves the patient weeks of recovery time and the cost for this procedure is hundreds of dollars vs. thousands for a surgical biopsy. With over 500,000 women needing biopsies a year the economic benefit, per year, is tremendous and it greatly reduces the pain, scarring, radiation exposure, time, and money associated with surgical biopsies.

Below is a "small" sampling of the many other ways that space technology has improved our lives and benefited mankind. It is truly a remarkable list and not nearly complete but I believe you will begin to appreciate the answers to "Why do we go in space" and "What does the space program do for me?" So the next time you hear these questions being asked, you will be able to explain it.

Computer Technology

GROUND PROCESSING SCHEDULING SYSTEM - Computer-based scheduling system that uses artificial intelligence to manage thousands of overlapping activities involved in launch preparations of NASA's Space Shuttles. The NASA technology was licensed to a new company which developed commercial applications that provide real-time planning and optimization of manufacturing operations, integrated supply chains, and customer orders.uu

SEMICONDUCTOR CUBING - NASA initiative led to the Memory Short Stack, a three-dimensional semiconductor package in which dozens of integrated circuits are stacked one atop another to form a cube, offering faster computer processing speeds, higher levels of integration, lower power requirements than conventional chip sets, and dramatic reduction in the size and weight of memory-intensive systems, such as medical imaging devices.

STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS - This NASA program, originally created for spacecraft design, has been employed in a broad array of non-aerospace applications, such as the automobile industry, manufacture of machine tools, and hardware designs.

WINDOWS VISUAL NEWS READER (Win Vn) - Software program developed to support payload technical documentation at Kennedy Space Center, allowing the exchange of technical information among a large group of users. WinVn is an enabling technology product that provides countless people with Internet access otherwise beyond their grasp, and it was optimized for organizations that have direct Internet access.

AIR QUALITY MONITOR - Utilizing a NASA-developed, advanced analytical technique software package, an air quality monitor system was created, capable of separating the various gases in bulk smokestack exhaust streams and determining the amount of individual gases present within the stream for compliance with smokestack emission standards.

VIRTUAL REALITY - NASA-developed research allows a user, with assistance from advanced technology devices, to figuratively project oneself into a computer-generated environment, matching the user's head motion, and, when coupled with a stereo viewing device and appropriate software, creates a telepresence experience.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Advanced keyboards, Customer Service Software, Database Management System, Laser Surveying, Aircraft controls, Lightweight Compact Disc, Expert System Software, Microcomputers, and Design Graphics.

Consumer/Home/Recreation

ENRICHED BABY FOOD - A microalgae-based, vegetable-like oil called Formulaid developed from NASA-sponsored research on long duration space travel, contains two essential fatty acids found in human milk but not in most baby formulas, believed to be important for infants' mental and visual development.

WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM - NASA-developed municipal-size water treatment system for developing nations, called the Regenerable Biocide Delivery Unit, uses iodine rather than chlorine to kill bacteria.

SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES - A modified version of a dual ion beam bonding process developed by NASA involves coating the lenses with a film of diamond-like carbon that not only provides scratch resistance, but also decreases surface friction, reducing water spots.

POOL PURIFICATION - Space technology designed to sterilize water on long-duration spacecraft applied to swimming pool purification led to a system that uses two silver-copper alloy electrodes that generate silver and copper ions when an electric current passes through them to kill bacteria and algae without chemicals.

RIBBED SWIMSUIT - NASA-developed riblets applied to competition swimsuits resulted in flume testing of 10 to 15 percent faster speeds than any other world class swim-suit due to the small, barely visible grooves that reduce friction and aerodynamic drag by modifying the turbulent airflow next to the skin.

GOLF BALL AERODYNAMICS - A recently designed golf ball, which has 500 dimples arranged in a pattern of 60 spherical triangles, employs NASA aerodynamics technology to create a more symmetrical ball surface, sustaining initial velocity longer and producing a more stable ball flight for better accuracy and distance.

PORTABLE COOLERS/WARMERS - Based on a NASA-inspired space cooling system employing thermoelectric technology, the portable cooler/warmer plugs into the cigarette lighters of autos, recreational vehicles, boats, or motel outlets. Utilizes one or two miniaturized modules delivering the cooling power of a 10-pound block of ice and the heating power of up to 125 degrees Fahrenheit.

SPORTS TRAINING - Space-developed cardio-muscular conditioner helps athletes increase muscular strength and cardiovascular fitness through kinetic exercise.

ATHLETIC SHOES - Moon Boot material encapsulated in running shoe midsoles improve shock absorption and provides superior stability and motion control.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Dustbuster, shock-absorbing helmets, home security systems, smoke detectors, flat panel televisions, high-density batteries, trash compactors, food packaging and freeze-dried technology, cool sportswear, sports bras, hair styling appliances, fogless ski goggles, self-adjusting sunglasses, composite golf clubs, hang gliders, art preservation, and quartz crystal timing equipment.

Environmental and Resource Management

MICROSPHERES - The first commercial products manufactured in orbit are tiny microspheres whose precise dimensions permit their use as reference standards for extremely accurate calibration of instruments in research and industrial laboratories. They are sold for applications in environmental control, medical research, and manufacturing.

SOLAR ENERGY - NASA-pioneered photovoltaic power system for spacecraft applications was applied to programs to expand terrestrial applications as a viable alternative energy source in areas where no conventional power source exists.

WEATHER FORECASTING AID - Space Shuttle environmental control technology led to the development of the Barorator which continuously measures the atmospheric pressure and calculates the instantaneous rate of change.

FOREST MANAGEMENT - A NASA-initiated satellite scanning system monitors and maps forestation by detecting radiation reflected and emitted from trees.

SENSORS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL - NASA development of an instrument for use in space life support research led to commercial development of a system to monitor an industrial process stream to assure that the effluent water's pH level is in compliance with environmental regulations.

WIND MONITOR - Development of Jimsphere wind measurement balloon for space launches allows for making high resolution measurements of the wind profile for meteorological studies and predictions.

TELEMETRY SYSTEMS - A spinoff company formed to commercialize NASA high-data-rate telemetry technology, manufactures a high-speed processing system for commercial communications applications.

PLANT RESEARCH - NASA research on future moon and Mars bases is investigating using plants for food, oxygen, and water to reduce the need for outside supplies. This research utilizes Hydroponics (liquid nutrient solutions) instead of soil to support plant growth and finds applications for vegetable production on Earth.

FIRE RESISTANT MATERIAL - Materials include chemically-treated fabric for sheets, uniforms for hazardous material handlers, crew's clothing, furniture, interior walls of submersibles and auto racer and refueler suits.

RADIATION INSULATION - Aluminized polymer film is highly effective radiation barrier for both manned and unmanned spacecraft. Variations of this space-devised material are also used as an energy conservation technique for homes and offices. The materials are placed between wall studs and exterior facing before siding or between roof support and roof sheathing. The radiant barrier blocks 95% of radiant energy. Successful retrofit installations include schools and shrink wrap ovens.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Whale identification method, environmental analysis, noise abatement, pollution measuring devices, pollution control devices, smokestack monitor, radioactive leak detector, earthquake prediction system, sewage treatment, energy saving air conditioning, and air purification.

Health and Medicine

DIGITAL IMAGING BREAST BIOPSY SYSTEM - The LORAD Stereo Guide Breast Biopsy system incorporates advanced Charge Coupled Devices (CCDs) as part of a digital camera system. The resulting device images breast tissue more clearly and efficiently. Known as stereotactic large-core needle biopsy, this nonsurgical system developed with Space Telescope Technology is less traumatic and greatly reduces the pain, scarring, radiation exposure, time, and money associated with surgical biopsies.

BREAST CANCER DETECTION - A solar cell sensor is positioned directly beneath x-ray film, and determines exactly when film has received sufficient radiation and has been exposed to optimum density. Associated electronic equipment then sends a signal to cut off the x-ray source. Reduction of mammography x-ray exposure reduces radiation hazard and doubles the number of patient exams per machine.

LASER ANGIOPLASTY - Laser angioplasty with a "cool" type of laser, caller an excimer laser, does not damage blood vessel walls and offers precise non-surgical cleanings of clogged arteries with extraordinary precision and fewer complications than in balloon angioplasty.

ULTRASOUND SKIN DAMAGE ASSESSMENT - Advanced instrument using NASA ultrasound technology enables immediate assessment of burn damage depth, improving patient treatment, and may save lives in serious burn cases.

HUMAN TISSUE STIMULATOR - Employing NASA satellite technology, the device is implanted in the body to help patient control chronic pain and involuntary motion disorders through electrical stimulation of targeted nerve centers or particular areas of the brain.

COOL SUIT - Custom-made suit derived from space suits circulates coolant through tubes to lower patient's body/ temperature, producing dramatic improvement of symptoms of multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, spina bifida and other conditions.

PROGRAMMABLE PACEMAKER - Incorporating multiple NASA technologies, the system consists of the implant and a physician's computer console containing the programming and a data printer. Communicates through wireless telemetry signals.

OCULAR SCREENING - NASA image processing techniques are used to detect eye problems in very young children. An electronic flash from a 35-millimeter camera sends light into the child's eyes, and a photorefractor analyzes the retinal reflexes, producing an image of each eye.

AUTOMATED URINALYSIS - NASA fluid dynamics studies helped development of system that automatically extracts and transfers sediment from urine sample to an analyzer microscope, replacing the manual centrifuge method.

MEDICAL GAS ANALYZER - Astronaut-monitoring technology used to develop system to monitor operating rooms for analysis of anesthetic gasses and measurement of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen concentrations to assure proper breathing environment for surgery patients.

VOICE-CONTROLLED WHEELCHAIR - NASA teleoperator and robot technology used to develop chair and manipulator that respond to 35 one-word voice commands utilizing a minicomputer to help patient perform daily tasks, like picking up packages, opening doors, and turning on appliances.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Arteriosclerosis detection, ultrasound scanners, automatic insulin pump, portable x-ray device, invisible braces, dental arch wire, palate surgery technology, clean room apparel, implantable heart aid, MRI, bone analyzer, and cataract surgery tools.

Industrial Productivity/Manufacturing Technology

MAGNETIC LIQUIDS - Based on the NASA-developed ferrofluid concept involving synthetic fluids that can be positioned and controlled by magnetic force, the ferrofluidic seal was initially applied in a zero-leakage, nonwearing seal for the rotating shaft of a system used to make semiconductor chips, solving a persistent problem‹contamination due to leaking seals.

WELDING SENSOR SYSTEM - Laser-based automated welder for industrial use incorporates a laser sensor system originally designed for Space Shuttle External Tank to track the seam where two pieces of metal are to be joined, measures gaps and minute misfits, and automatically corrects the welding torch distance and height.

MICROLASERS - Based on a concept for optical communications over interplanetary distances, microlasers were developed for the commercial market to transmit communication signals and to drill, cut, or melt materials.

MAGNETIC BEARING SYSTEM - Bearings developed from Space Shuttle designs support moving machinery without physical contact, permitting motion without friction or wear, and are now used in electric power generation, petroleum refining, machine tool operation, and natural gas pipelines.

ENGINE LUBRICANT - A NASA-developed plasma-sprayed coating is used to coat valves in a new, ten-inch-long, four-cylinder rotary engine, eliminating the need for lubricating the rotorcam, which has no crankshaft, flywheel, distributor, or water pump.

INTERACTIVE COMPUTER TRAINING - Known as Interactive Multimedia Training (IMT), originally developed to train astronauts and space operations personnel, now utilized by the commercial sector to train new employees and upgrade worker skills, using a computer system that engages all the senses, including text, video, animation, voice, sounds, and music.

HIGH-PRESSURE WATERSTRIPPING - Technology developed for preparing Space Shuttle solid rocket boosters first evolved into the U.S. Air Force's Large Aircraft Robotic Paint Stripping (LARPS) system, and now used in the commercial airline industry, where the waterjet processing reduces coating removal time by 90 percent, using only water at ultra-high pressures up to 55,000 psi.

ADVANCED WELDING TORCH - Based on the Variable Polarity Plasma Arc welding technology, a handheld torch originally developed for joining light alloys used in NASA's External Tank, is now used by major appliance manufacturers for sheet metal welding.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Gasoline vapor recovery, self-locking fasteners, machine tool software, laser wire stripper, lubricant coating process, wireless communications, engine coatings, and engine design.

Public Safety

RADIATION HAZARD DETECTOR - NASA technology has made commercially available new, inexpensive, conveniently carried device for protection of people exposed to potentially dangerous levels of microwave radiation. Weighing only 4 ounces and about the size of a cigarette pack, it can be carried in a shirt pocket or clipped to a belt. Unit sounds an audible alarm when microwave radiation reaches a preset level.

EMERGENCY RESPONSE ROBOT - Remotely-operated robot reduces human injury levels by performing hazardous tasks that would otherwise be handled by humans.

PERSONAL ALARM SYSTEM - Pen-sized ultrasonic transmitter used by prison guards, teachers, the elderly, and disabled to call for help is based on space telemetry technology. Pen transmits a silent signal to receiver that will display the exact location of the emergency.

EMERGENCY RESCUE CUTTERS - Lightweight cutters for freeing accident victims from wreckage developed using NASA pyrotechnic technology.

FIREMAN'S AIR TANKS - Lighter-weight firefighter's air tanks have been developed. New back-pack system weighs only 20 lbs. for 30 minute air supply, 13 lbs. less than conventional firefighting tanks. They are pressurized at 4,500 psia (twice current tanks). A warning device tells the fireman when he or she is running out of air.

PERSONAL STORM WARNING SYSTEM - Lightning detector gives 30-minute warning to golfers, boaters, homeowners, business owners, and private pilots.

SELF-RIGHTING LIFE RAFT - Developed for the Apollo program, fully inflates in 12 seconds and protects lives during extremely adverse weather conditions with self-righting and gravity compensation features.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Storm warning services (Doppler radar), firefighters' radios, lead poison detection, fire detector, flame detector, corrosion protection coating, protective clothing, and robotic hands.

Transportation

STUDLESS WINTER TIRES - Viking Lander parachute shroud material is adapted and used to manufacture radial tires, increasing the tire material's chainlike molecular structure to five times the strength of steel should increase tread life by 10,000 miles.

BETTER BRAKES - New, high-temperature composite space materials provide for better brake linings. Applications includes trucks, industrial equipment and passenger cars.

TOLLBOOTH PURIFICATION - A laminar airflow technique used in NASA clean rooms for contamination-free assembly of space equipment is used at tollbooths on bridges and turnpikes to decrease the toll collector's inhalation of exhaust fumes.

WEIGHT SAVING TECHNOLOGY - NASA research on composite materials is used to achieve a 30-percent weight reduction in a twin-turbine helicopter, resulting in a substantial increase in aircraft performance.

IMPROVED AIRCRAFT ENGINE - Multiple NASA developed technological advancements resulted in a cleaner, quieter, more economical commercial aircraft engine known as the high bypass turbofan, featuring a 10-percent reduction in fuel consumption, lower noise levels, and emission reductions of oxides of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and unburned hydrocarbons.

ADVANCED LUBRICANTS - An environmental-friendly lubricant designed to support the Space Shuttle Mobile Launcher Platform led to the development of three commercial lubricants for railroad track maintenance, for electric power company corrosion prevention, and as a hydraulic fluid with an oxidation life of 10,000 hours.

ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM - The Flywheel Energy Storage system, derived from two NASA-sponsored energy storage studies, is a chemical-free, mechanical battery that harnesses the energy of a rapidly spinning wheel and stores it as electricity with 50 times the capacity of a lead-acid battery, very useful for electric vehicles.

NEW WING DESIGN FOR CORPORATE JETS - NASA-developed computer programs resulted in an advanced, lighter, more aerodynamically-efficient new wing for Gulfstream business aircraft.

AIDS TO SCHOOL BUS DESIGN - Manufacturer uses three separate NASA-developed technologies originally developed for aviation and space use in their design and testing of a new school bus chassis. These technologies are a structural analysis computer program infrared stress measurement system, and a ride quality meter system.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Safer bridges, emission testing, airline wheelchairs, electric car, auto design, methane-powered vehicles, windshear prediction, and aircraft design analysis.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cooler still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I get it. Lot's of good shit spins off of the space program. I have officially cried "Uncle". I still say that noone has presented anything all that beneficial that has come from the actual space travel itself, the manned flights not the satellites, I understand their importance.

This is why I tend to stay out of the Lavender Room. Too many smart people on this forum, I'll get my ass handed to me for sure. But at least I learned something from this thread, and that was my original intent anyway.

Dan Hollingsworth

Last edited by: Lieutenant_Dan: Jul 30, 05 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my eyesight back. Wavefront lasik uses the same image correction mathematics that was developed to correct the flawed Hubble optics.

one of my friends got the coolest off the planet.

We know the moon isn't made of cheese.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by astrotri [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: astrotri: Jul 31, 05 9:40
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone has suggested the space program is a waste. The issue is the continuance of the manned space program in its present form of sending men into the same low earth orbits, filing their time with high school science experiments, literally in many cases.

The idea of manned space flight powered by chemical fuel is just silly any longer. Were NASA able to develop technology, presumably nuclear technology, that allows much greater power generation per pound of payload, the entire equation changes. I am not seeing much of an effort in this direction, presumably because they simply don't know how to do it. The sail propulsion technology is the only interesting exception of which I am aware.

I would be interested to see a description of what we have learned or developed as a result of the ISS. Like Skylab, I have expected it to be a total loss since the inception of the project.

On the other hand, if we can drop a nuclear reactor on the moon or Mars and develop robots to do infrastructure construction prior to human arrival, my opinion would change dramatically.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I care about NASA and the space program? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone at NASA intends to just continue the same manned low Earth orbit flights for very long anyway. They've stated their goal of phasing out the Shuttle by 2010 in favor of new flight technology that will expand their mission capabilities. They've stated their goal of getting manned flights to Mars. They've stated their goal of continued exploration of our galaxy with unmanned missions. I think the average American spends somewhere around $60 a year on space travel out of an average tax burden somewhere around 8 or 9K. I don't think that's too bad.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if it feels like I or others were trying to b*tch slap you, I certainly wasn't. And I'm only hear to learn too, and hear the opinions of others.

I'd have to do further research but I guess the claim could be made that all of the research and scientific experiments that go on during space missions are benefits we derive from the travel. If nothing else though, we've learned that we can go to outer space and return safely, I can't speculate what the long-term benefits from that are though.
Quote Reply