Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short IM Taper....with Lance?
Quote | Reply
Ok no Lance...But I do have a question about short or a shorter IM taper...if were talking about that kinda thing today.

To put it mildly my IM training has been...less than stellar. To top things off I recently got the flu and have been set back another week.

Question is since I'm really not getting in the "big volume" weeks I should be would I be better served by pushing a bit later into the schedule and having a shorter taper of say 10-14 days rather than 3 weeks or so?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Short IM Taper....with Lance? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should come to Madison Sat AM and ride the course...worry about your taper when you get there...

Oh...Lance may be there...picking up glass and tacks in the road...what a hero

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Jul 28, 05 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Short IM Taper....with Lance? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to but not sure I'll be up to it yet...first day back on solid foods...well solid foods that stayed that way. Did the course two weeks ago and plan on doing it again on the 27th.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would help if you mentioned the IM event...

I'm no expert, but have found little/no taper is ONLY good for folks who train/race that way all year round. A friend is a 9:30 IMer and usually rides the course 3 days prior and runs 1/2 the day before. Could perhaps be faster, but he claims he's past his potential at this point.....

Sounds like you might be be trying to finish at this point...so might as well jockeying up all your stats and let the coaches mingle.
Quote Reply
Re: Short IM Taper....with Lance? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing IMWI.

Stats...Hmmm

Several 2.0-2.5 Hr runs, none stellar but not bad. Consistancy is the issue really. Might get a couple in then miss a couple etc. Typically on the low end 20 miles a week, high end around 40 or so.

Biking is the big issue. Only a couple 100 milers and not real consistantly at that. Typical week has been around 125 on the low end to 170 on the high end.

Swimming not to worried about.

Recently did the sweat fest at Racine. Felt comfortable with the distance but purposefully screwed off in the run as to not kill myself or end with a long recovery or in the med tent.

Unfortunately ended up getting the flu the night after the race and am only today feeling up to keeping down solid food.

I was thinking that rather than do a couple of more weeks of harder stuff I'd keep the harder/longer stuff going up until a week or prior the race. I'd cut my long run stuff back as it seems ot take longer for me to recovery from that but continue the long rides and harder rides.

Since I don't have much of a "built up" fatuigue level I was thinking it woudln't take much to shed what little I built in these last 4-5 weeks or so.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL...sounds like you're better prepared than 1/2 the people who show up. Is this your 1st?

My advice...which is free, is to jump right into the final 7 weeks of an IM plan. Here's Huddle's 6 week...

Quote Reply
Re: Short IM Taper....with Lance? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No not my first.

I guess I feel "underprepared" compared to my last one. By this time in the plan I had several 100+ bikes more than a couple 120+ and Similar but a bit longer runs.

I barely broke the "slowtwitch club" 13hr cut off. That was IMFL an easier course than IMWI.

The plan you show is similar to what I had but a bit heavier on everything. Probably about the same amount of time just more days though. It does have a smaller taper than what I was going to do though.

Thanks for the info.

~Matt
Quote Reply