Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giving up lap swimming in favor of ows only - chlorine allergy?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone given up lap swimming in public pools in favor of ows only? I posted this in the Tri Forum, but wanted to broaden the net.

I had been dealing with IBS type symptoms for the better part of this year. After a battery of tests and an eliminative diet to rule things out, I was sure that it was just something I just inherited from my Dad's side of the family.

I had been lap swimming at my local gym during last November 2012 through the middle of July 2013. I used the indoor pool until the outdoor one opened in May. I swam twice a week, averaging 35 minutes a session. I occasionally ingested the pool water when I didn't fully rotate my head or had to split the lane with someone else. I noticed slight bloating and an overall feeling like I had been "run over by a truck" every time I finished my laps, showered and biked home.

Once the weather was warm enough for ows, about June in W. WA, I headed to a local lake twice a week. I occasionally went back to my gym for lap swimming, but it was rare. By August, I was no longer at my gym pool, but exclusively at the lake. I noticed when I finished my swim route (averaged about 45 min), I didn't have as severe bloating in my gut, and I didn't feel so hammered like from the lap pool. My symptoms gradually lessened over time.

I kept ows up until last week thanks to my DeSoto wetsuit. But now that's it nearly October, I'm considering hanging up ows until next spring and stick to my gym pool.

Last night was the first time I'd been in a lap pool for nearly two months. I did a 15 minute weight workout (low weight, high reps) before my swim to warm up. Once I got in the pool and began doing laps, I felt a lot smoother and more powerful (most likely due to the non-stop ows at the lake). Although, within a few minutes of starting, I was having difficulty breathing compared to swimming in the lake. I occasionally ingested the pool water because of the breathing difficulty (so gross!) The water felt too warm and very heavy. The atmosphere of chlorine was like a thick blanket covering me head to toe.

I finished my 25 minute session, got out, showered, stretched and biked home. I really hated that session, and wished I had gone to the lake even in the cold and rain. As soon as I got home, I felt uncomfortable in my gut that steadily grew worse as the evening wore on. I heard a lot of noise and gurgling coming from my intestines. It was like all the IBS like symptoms had returned. I felt so wiped out, parts of my arms and legs felt itchy. I also noticed a burning sensation when I pissed, like I had a urinary tract infection. The next day at work, I felt horrible. I felt like I was coming down with the flu - achy, itchy eyes, rumbling and bloating in my gut, having bowel movements, but feeling like my colon didn't completely evacuate. It's still painful to pee. Even though I drink enough filtered water so that my urine is almost clear and has a heavy volume, it hurts to urinate.

Could this be an allergic reaction to chlorine? If so, has anyone experienced something similar? I'm going to test this and not lap swim until further notice. Weather permitting, I'll head out to the lake with my wetsuit and neoprene skullcap for ows. If my symptoms improve over time, then it might be the evidence I need to know that chlorine is a problem for me.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up lap swimming in favor of ows only - chlorine allergy? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have issues with chlorine in pools too - in fact it bugs the heck out of me that we continue to put something toxic like chlorine in our public pools; yes it helps "sanitise" the water but there are personal health side effects to that - and there are OTHER solutions to sanitising a pool....but that's my little rant.

I love swimming, always have, but since the age of 15 I often suffer hayfever like symptoms after a chlorine pool swim with the occasional sore gut after ingesting the water. I ALWAYS shower and wash my hair after a swim which only helps a little (mind you there are more anti-chlorine specific hair and body washes out there which may help if you google it). Alas no good lakes within a short driving distance of me but at least the pool closest is quite large with lots of good air flowing through the facility.

Drink lots of pure water generally especially if the pool is on the warm side (blergh i hate warm pools too); do you have neoprene hoodie/boots to help extend your swim season in the lake? And then skip the pool over the 3 worst months of Winter and do swim specific weight/movement exercises (consider it your "off-season" from swimming)? Also you can try and look for a pool with little to no chlorine to compare - there is a list here - http://piscinasana.wikidot.com/united-states ; not sure if you live near any of them....
Last edited by: cherelli: Sep 28, 13 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up lap swimming in favor of ows only - chlorine allergy? [cherelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input. I have a hunch there are many ill side effects to ingesting and bathing in chlorine that we know little about. I just think of what chlorine does to my swim shorts over time, then thought about what it may be doing to my insides. I recently read that heavy use of chlorine can even kill the good bacteria in the gut.

Thanks for that list of reduced chlorinated pools. However, there are none that are close enough to me to justify the occasional lap swimming I normally would do in winter.

I was already considering the neoprene hoodie and boots. Is this what you use? If so, what brand?

Even if the chlorine wasn't an issue, I would rather ows in a lake than be in a lap pool. Swimming laps reminds me of running on a treadmill or biking on a trainer. I don't like either of those. I would rather run and bike in the most miserable weather (except ice and snow) than spend any time indoors on a run/bike trainer breathing stale air.

I'll do specific weight/movement exercises (alas, indoors) to target those "swim muscles" during my off-season. Then, when the weather is more conducive, I'll head out to the lake. For my area, and with my wetsuit (and hoodie/booties when I get them), I can ows in my local lakes April-Sept.

Thanks again for sharing. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up lap swimming in favor of ows only - chlorine allergy? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure where you're from and whether your lakes freeze over in the winter, but I have a couple girlfriends who swam up to Christmas in the ocean off western canada. Not my idea of fun!

I would guess that the water temp would be about 40-42F. They wore neoprene gloves, hoodie and booties (and of course a wetsuit).

I also know a couple people who swim in the ocean here year round NO WETSUIT. I think they're crazy, but they say that they're used to it.

With some extra prep you might be able to lake swim more of the year.

Also, in your post in the main forum I mentioned using a snorkel as a way to avoid swallowing water. Between that and nose plugs you might be fine in the pool if freezing isn't your thing.

You've had a rough go of it with injuries (me too), so hopefully you can find an easy fix for this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Allegra for allergies and Flovent and ProAir for EIA. It is aggravated by many factors, but the pool is certainly one. I use Pro Air 1 puff 20 minutes prior to swimming and rinse off immediately after getting out. That seems to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried swimming in any of those pools where they have the saline instead of chlorine?

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up lap swimming in favor of ows only - chlorine allergy? [kellydomara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kellydomara wrote:
Have you tried swimming in any of those pools where they have the saline instead of chlorine?

No I haven't. I found some, but they are too far away to justify trying them out. I'll just don more wetsuit accessories and swim in my local lake until it becomes too cold. After that, I'll hit the gym for exercises that will strengthen the swim muscles. Then get in the lake again next spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chlorine pools should not have a strong "chlorine" odor. The odor is from chloramines that form when urea and other chemicals react with the chlorine. Urea comes from - yes you guessed it - urine. If your pool smells strongly of "chlorine", and you have a hard time breathing, and it irritates your orifices, then most likely than not, your pool is dirty from too much pee. Find a cleaner pool. Chlorine itself should not be causing a strong chemical smell or breathing problems. Good luck.
Quote Reply