Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Law students/Recent law grads: MPRE exam
Quote | Reply
In order to receive my license to practice in Colorado, I have to re-take the MPRE. It's been 11 years since I took any sort of exam, let alone a bar exam. When I did, I think I took a short PMBR review course for the MPRE. What's the current wisdom on good review courses/materials? Maybe I just need to get the study aids from the website?
Quote Reply
Re: Law students/Recent law grads: MPRE exam [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing fungent to offer here. But, I just wanted to say the following: Fuck I hated the LSAT. I hated the LSAT more than I hated the entirety of law school.

Okay, I'm cleansed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the study aids should be sufficient. when i took the mpre in colorado, i just borrowed my friends old bar/bri materials and went for it on my own. no trouble passing.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard the review class is a waste. I borrowed the study book (it was old law), and still passed. In MN, Ethics 2000 is the new law, but it really didn't matter for the MPRE...

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy:

I took it last year here when I moved in from Texas. Study aids from the website, including the practice tests were all I used. It should be plenty.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your major problem with the MRPE will be that only a completely amoral person, or a practicing lawyer, could fail it. Since you have spent a lot of time in the latter category, you could be in trouble. ;-)

I followed two rules when taking legal ethics tests, and they generally answer most questions. First, don't commingle funds. Second, if you are doing it for your client, you are probably not violating the rules.

If you really want to study up, you need to go through the conflicts rules fairly carefully. The Rules of Professional Conduct don't always provide the same answer as either common sense, or generally accepted practice, would provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Law students/Recent law grads: MPRE exam [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my approach was simpler: wwjd?

jesus wouldn't sleep with a client.

jesus wouldn't commingle funds.

jesus would screen himself from potential conflicts of interests.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Law students/Recent law grads: MPRE exam [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with your analysis in interpreting the ethics rules is that there are plenty of things that are immoral that are not unethical. And, general rules of morality do not help you resolve ethics questions when avoiding even the appearance of a conflict might mean that you end up abandoning clients in particular situations, which can be a violation of your duties to your clients.
Quote Reply
Re: Law students/Recent law grads: MPRE exam [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the extent I'm worried at all (and I'm not really), I am a little concerned that my "practical, real world knowledge" may not by in complete accord with the rules. Plus, when any of those tough conflict issues arose in my practice, I always was able to call the firm general counsel whose job it was to answer those kind of questions.

It was a pain in the ass to prepare and file my bar application without a secretary and it's going to be a pain in the ass to take this test without my general counsel:) I'm pretty sure I'll manage somehow . . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Plus, when any of those tough conflict issues arose in my practice, I always was able to call the firm general counsel whose job it was to answer those kind of questions. <<

Exactly! And, I might add, able to call the general counsel or the committee Secretary..... ;-)

Good luck on the test and the bar application. This is an area (conflicts and bar admissions) that I deal with regularly.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Law students/Recent law grads: MPRE exam [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I found that the answer was usually the one that was the second most "honorable." In other words, if the question asks what duty you have in a given ethical dilemma, usually you can eliminate two answers immediately, because they are clearly unethical. However, the other two answers both seem right and ethical, but one usually imposes a fairly strict burden on you. That's USUALLY the one you can eliminate, because the rules only require you to be ethical... not a saint (I just KNOW I'm gonna get a bunch of lawyer jokes about this...).

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Law students/Recent law grads: MPRE exam [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's why the mpre is so stupid. most questions boil down to two answers with "yes, because...." or "no, because..." do i really need to know teh specifics? isn't enough that i know i can or can't do something?

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter took MPRE last year and used the study aids and sample tests. Passed it .
Asked her about the review course and feedback she got was not real helpful.

fal7
Quote Reply
Amy, I PM'd you. NM. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply