Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5 more weeks-help me run!
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I think I have posted before about my degenerating hip but as a brief recap-it is on life support and I have no doubt I will have to have some kind of surgery in the next year or so. I am 55.
Anyway-I have 2 races coming up. An oly tri in 3 weeks and then the Army Ten miler in 5. I am doing all the stuff I know to decrease the pain esp after I run/walk(foam roller, stretch, TENS, ice, anti inflammatories). I have lost 20+ pounds since my MRI in April and I weigh less than what I did in jr high school(137 at 5'6").
So, what I need help with is how to structure my last few runs/walks. I am doing 4/1 to save my hip. I run 3 times a week-45-60 min x2 then a long run which is 90-120 min max. My speed is slow(probably 13 min mile or slower). I don't care about speed obviously. I just want to finish these 2 races and then really scale it back. I have an appointment with one of the best hip MD the day after the last race.. Should I try to get at least 1 more 2 hour run(probably 8.5 miles) or just be happy with 90 min, then really just gut check at the 10 miler? I have pain the first 20 min of the run then it dies down and feels pretty good. It is the next day at work on concrete floors that it really bothers.
I realize running is not helpful-my hip is already damaged and I also know that this will probably be the last running events I do. Maybe I can buy some time with injections then for sure a hip resurfacing or replacement both means no running. I am sad.
Cycling /swimming does not hurt....Thank the good Lord. I have really been getting the miles in on the bike to compensate for decreased running. I run in Hokas that have been a blessing. I have shortenend my stride and land more mid foot now.
Any suggestions to realize my goals the next 5 weeks?
C
Quote Reply
Re: 5 more weeks-help me run! [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would be tempted to stop running, only walk and wear your Hokas on the concrete floors.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: 5 more weeks-help me run! [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walking actually hurts more than running-doesn't make sense. I really doubt I could walk the total distances that I am able to run slowly. I really am going to probably pull the plug on running after these 2 races-just want to be able to get them done!
Any suggestions on things I can add? I had to stop massage and acupuncture due to cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is coming from someone who has struggled with serious hip and back issues for more than a year and a half. My suggestion is to stop running before you screw things up so badly that you can't swim or bike. Focus on what you can do--there are a lot of great aquabike races (usually as part of of a tri) out there.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree with Tri3. Honestly bail on the races and stop running for now. Ride, swim, heck even water running, yoga.... I'm almost in the same boat and it's been very slow and frustrating. 1 step forward, 2 back.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: 5 more weeks-help me run! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
This is coming from someone who has struggled with serious hip and back issues for more than a year and a half. My suggestion is to stop running before you screw things up so badly that you can't swim or bike. Focus on what you can do--there are a lot of great aquabike races (usually as part of of a tri) out there.

You are so lucky to have aquabike races, as far as I know there are none in Europe. Definitely none in my home country and neighboring countries. I'd definitely go for these if it were an option.
Quote Reply