Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

River Roux Triathlon. Any Reviews?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a late season HIM in the Southeast. Right now the plan is to do Rev3 in Venice FL, but I'm looking for alternative options. I'll be driving from Alabama, and to get there it will take almost 8 hours of driving.

I found the River Roux triathlon and it's almost 2 hours closer. Has anyone done it? Is it worth the drive? How is the course, roads, marking, competition?
Quote Reply
Re: River Roux Triathlon. Any Reviews? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it last year--doing it again this year. It's actually a pretty tough course. Punchy hills on the bike that seemingly never let you take advantage of downhills and tons of wind made for some slow times. The run course is different this year so I can't comment on that other than that it will be pancake flat. Small, local race feel. I thought it was fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are brave enough to log onto BT you can go to the Louisiana tab and ask. There are a handful of folks on there that did the race last year. I live about an hour from the race site and word is that it is a well put on race and worth the money.
The swim course is in a very nice oxbow lake, two loops. The bike course is pretty good for Louisiana standards. The run meanders through the town of New Roads and at times you have to get on the side walk as they don't close the roads.
You can also try the Baton Rouge tri club website. A few of their members are actually part of the race direction crew.

trav

Quote | Reply
I worked it last year, from the timing aspect of it, and I loved every min of it. Great race, wetsuit legal, temps aren't going to kill you and, the bike course will give you a run for your money! I wish I was going back this year but I will be at another race that weekend.

It is so close to Baton Rouge making it a really good venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't raced it, but I just registered for this year's race about a week ago. There are a few brief race reports on BT; it sounds like it'll be fun, but I just hope it won't be too warm that time of year.
Quote Reply
Re: River Roux Triathlon. Any Reviews? [31CapeHorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
31CapeHorn wrote:
Did it last year--doing it again this year. It's actually a pretty tough course. Punchy hills on the bike that seemingly never let you take advantage of downhills and tons of wind made for some slow times. The run course is different this year so I can't comment on that other than that it will be pancake flat. Small, local race feel. I thought it was fun.

Awesome, I'm glad it sounds like a good option. I prefer hilly courses (just did Louisville), so that doesn't bother me. This actually sounds like my ideal race. Wetsuit swim, hilly bike, and flat run.

How are the roads and marking? I train on county roads/chip seal, so most anything will be better. What about aid stations?

As long as it is a good marked course, ample stations, and accurate timing it sounds perfect. I like smaller races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in charge of the bike course last year and ride the area on regular basis. I would call it hilly, but for most people its nothing more big rollers. The largest hill is the bridge over the Mississippi rive you cross out and back. The roads are mostly in very good shape and low traffic. It's a great value, very nice course, and the race directors do a good job with all aspects of it. We have a group swiming and riding the course this sunday if anyone is in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm part of the race organization, a local nonprofit called Rocketkidz Foundation.
Here is what's up this year:
1. Largely same awesome bike course - don't expect flat, even here in louisiana. The course is rolling through West Feliciana Parish (lots of plantation homes here), a geographically unique area in Louisiana with deep ravines and sand based hills - and the only place in louisiana where we have chipmunks. You ride over the mighty Mississip and back on the new James Audubon Mississippi River bridge (The bridge has the second longest cable span in the Western Hemisphere ). 56 mile single loop course.
2. The run course will be multilap and shady course in the small town of New Roads - better for spectators and runners (Early November is our fall but folks found the single loop run near the levee kinda hot last year).
3. Finish area at The Mill will have live music this year and great finish area.
4. Same, single loop swim in False River (an oxbow lake formed by the Mississippi's past wanderings).

We have a team of awesome volunteers that put our events - this is our second year doing this one. Come visit, race, party and chill. October and Early November are our two best months of weather around here - what many of you up north get in spring and early fall. It's green, temps are perfect and hurricane season is over. If you have any more questions let me know.

Cheers
Susan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roads are 95% really great - a few very brief rough patches on Sage Hill Rd that are easily avoidable and you'll need to watch expansion joints on the bridge (which we CLEARLY MARK AND CONE OFF). Most of the course is great asphalt and new cement highway (near the bridge). We picked some of the best roads around here on purpose.

Hand ups on the bike course and plenty of aid stations on the run. The usual, water/powerade, gels, fruit.

RunFar out of Dallas does our timing - they are insanely good at what they do and provide first class timing for our events.

Awards are Louisiana theme and Tin Roof is a local brewer that provides post race refreshments. We also do good post race grub.

Finishers gear and medals are top notch.
Quote Reply
Re: River Roux Triathlon. Any Reviews? [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it today as my first 70.3. Patchy hills, lots of wind, cold start. Warmed up throughout the day, felt awesome in the sun. Really pretty scenery on the bike. Whole event was well done. Great swag. Lots of food And beer (great selection after). Home town feel in small
New Roads, but everyone was really nice and helpful. Great show of sportsmanship and help on the route. I was blown away. Olympic distance is an option too. Gave a discount to those who were scheduled for New Orleans Half Ironman that was cancelled a week ago. I loved the race.
Quote Reply
Re: River Roux Triathlon. Any Reviews? [jcall2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Participated for the first time today, albeit it not my best performance, but it was a great venue. Good swim conditions, 70 degree water and calm. Bike was hilly, but all of my training was on flat roads for NEw Orleans. Run was a three loop spectator friendly flat course. I will definitely participate again. Temp at race start was around 45 degrees.
Quote Reply