Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I think you may want to read about this woman...
Quote | Reply
I rarely post over here but this blog piece written by Ultra-athlete Stacey Shand is worth the effort..She is one amazing woman.

http://raceystacey.wordpress.com/...ery-to-seek-answers/

---
Quote Reply
Re: I think you may want to read about this woman... [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's an inspiration. Thank you!

I understand the feeling of being sweaty all the time. It's a good feeling.
Last edited by: TriBeer: Sep 11, 13 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: I think you may want to read about this woman... [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thanks for sharing. She's amazing and I feel like a big fat slug now :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - she looks & sounds so 'ordinary' and is anything but..

Have you ever thought about nominating as a WITSUP ambassador 'coz you do a pretty good job highlighting the womens ??!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article. There are some amazing women running races like these. There isn't nearly enough recognition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stacey is 100% BADASS. She's also incredibly humble, warm, and has a great outlook on life. Truly an amazing human being.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I think you may want to read about this woman... [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
Wow - she looks & sounds so 'ordinary' and is anything but..

Have you ever thought about nominating as a WITSUP ambassador 'coz you do a pretty good job highlighting the womens ??!

---

Thank's,I actually met Stef down in Wanaka this year while I was pimping Challenge Penticton and she is one funny woman!I have been asked by a couple of race organizers to use what pull I have to highlight the Ultra-women in both Ultra-tris and Ultra-running and that is something I will be approaching Stef and the WITSUP crowd with in the new year.

Hopefully they will be responsive to my ideas.

For those who didn't catch my thread about WITSUP a while ago,take the time to check the website out.I read it pretty much every day.

www.witsup.com

----
Last edited by: Nick Mallett: Sep 11, 13 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's a pretty amazing read, that's for sure. I particularly appreciated her honesty about how her activities do impact her family, as I often get a similar reaction from people who don't get that it's part of who I am... so to NOT is akin to not breathing. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reading (and commenting) on my blog!
And thanks for sharing the link, Nick! :-)

It's true, I'm pretty ordinary. I just have a fascination with very non-ordinary moments-as they truly make me feel alive. It's also an awesome way to see the world (from the waters, the mountains, the back roads on a bike, or running the backcountry trails). It all comes at a price-I can't downplay that-but I do think that it makes me a better human overall, which is why it's worth it.

Awhile back, I found this quote-and it really describes the moments I search for in my life. I find this moment through the sports I do:
“It’s when my brain switches off to everything else and only that moment exists. It’s probably the moment you feel most alive, but you’re not thinking about life. All you can think about is being…right there…right then. A little bit of it’s the elation afterwards, but most of it is just that real body and mind coming together, everything focused on that one task. I think that’s where it’s at.” ~M. Smith-Gobat (Climber)
Last edited by: raceystacey: Sep 11, 13 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: I think you may want to read about this woman... [raceystacey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raceystacey wrote:
Thanks for reading (and commenting) on my blog!
And thanks for sharing the link, Nick! :-)

It's true, I'm pretty ordinary. I just have a fascination with very non-ordinary moments-as they truly make me feel alive. It's also an awesome way to see the world (from the waters, the mountains, the back roads on a bike, or running the backcountry trails). It all comes at a price-I can't downplay that-but I do think that it makes me a better human overall, which is why it's worth it.

Awhile back, I found this quote-and it really describes the moments I search for in my life. I find this moment through the sports I do:
“It’s when my brain switches off to everything else and only that moment exists. It’s probably the moment you feel most alive, but you’re not thinking about life. All you can think about is being…right there…right then. A little bit of it’s the elation afterwards, but most of it is just that real body and mind coming together, everything focused on that one task. I think that’s where it’s at.” ~M. Smith-Gobat (Climber)

That's a great quote, Stacey!

It's funny, I was thinking along very similar lines yesterday as I was contemplating my 'best' moments, which inevitably happen through sport. Interestingly, finish lines rarely feature & the images that are seared in my memory are those when I've been out training by myself and there's been a perfect moment of me, my physical being and the time and place I inhabit at that point.

I remember a moment I was nearing the summit of Mt Hotham on my bike and I turned to glance back over my shoulder - looking back over the bowl of the valley beneath me, the vast folds of the Victorian alps beyond and just beneath the cloud cover, I felt like I'd ridden to the roof of the world - and I had it all to myself in that instant. It was magic!

There was another great thread on the womens a while ago that touched on some of those questions of why we do what we do - fascinating stuff:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4456287
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read. Thanks!

And, welcome Stacey to the Womens!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I think you may want to read about this woman... [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's sharing these moments, these inspirations, the things that we look for & notice that few people probably think to (or get to) that make our sport(s) and our people so amazing.

Swimming last weekend in Lake Michigan towards Chicago was yet another of such moments for me. I'll never grow tired of seeing sunrises on race days or beautiful vistas while pushing hard for some goal or another.

We may live ordinary lives & be "every day" in a lot of our lives, but we all have extraordinary moments if we're willing to see them. Great job, Stacey, at being awesome & thanks for the reminder Cat!

AW
Quote Reply