Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fast old guys
Quote | Reply
Some 72 yr old guy just broke 3 hrs for the marathon! A 92 yr old guy ran 5:40. And for some other older, but not old guys, 7 guys ran 32:00 or better, one going sub-30, at the national masters 10k champs.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast old guys [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that the guy who ran 5:40 is 93. Amazing. The 72 year old guy regular runs 35-36 minute 10k races too. He is incredible.

Speaking of fast marathons ... How about in Berlin where a 2:04:55 was run yesterday for a new world best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a young pup of 48 I guess I don't have any excuses for getting faster.

Regarding age and 10-k speed, I'm curious to find out how much someone is "expected" to slow with age.

For example my personal best is/was 33:20 for a 10-k at age 30. What should I expect to run at age 48? Anybody know?
Last edited by: beatnic_tx: Sep 29, 03 19:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently visited a recommended Podiatrist who proceeded to tell that at my age (33) that I couldn't possibly expect to continue running fast. He didn't even know how fast I could/had run but just stereotyped since I look young. He was a runner himself that kept bragging about how fast he "used" to be, nearly running a 3 hr marathon (20 yrs ago) . . . Yawn . . .

I reported the fact that I would need to slow down due to my age to one of my running buddies. He is 45 and runs a 15:30 5K . . . we had a good laugh.

One last story. In the past I lived in the Midwest and always ran the Bix 7. I remember running in the early/mid 90's when Bill Rodgers was making a strong showing for his age. I remember running along and about 3 miles into the race the crowd starts cheering and the next thing I know Bix Billy passes me in his rather unique running style looking like he is all of 70 years old.

OK, one more story. A different time I was in a half marathon that Steve Scott was in when making his master's showing sometime in the 90's. I don't remember how it happened, but he and I were running together the last mile of the race. The race finished on approx a 400 yard crowd lined section of street. I thought myself pretty fast, usually managing to run 60 flat at the end of a 5k on the track so figured what the hell and tried to burry him the last 1/4 mile. Short story, he beat me like a red headed step child. We had a good laugh afterwards, hey I had to try it. Sad thing is that most spectators didn't even know who he was, only that I got out kicked by "some old guy".
Quote Reply
Re:"expected" slowdown [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can easily blow through 1/2 day of work playing with this:

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/...tics/wavalookup.html

just see what your age grade is now and then advance the years, keeping the grade constant and see what kind of slowdown is "permitted". It's not that significant up until the 40's at 5k or longer.

Quote Reply
Re: Fast old guys [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also amazing is that the 93 year-old guy took up running a few years ago. I can't remember exactly, but I think he stopped running when he started feeling old 30 or so years ago, then took it up again when he was 89.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Fast old guys [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-ZNEWS,00.html
Last edited by: dts: Sep 30, 03 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: Re:"expected" slowdown [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what a depressing site. according to it, I should be running a 16:49 for 5k at age 43, less than a minute slower than my PB at 24. I can do sub-20 with a month or so of dedicated training, but sub-17 is as far away as the moon..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply