Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobic heart rates for base training: What the heck?
Quote | Reply
I am one of these guys who believes in base training before Ironman and in the low heart rate, longer duration theory of training. I have tried it and it works for me. Here is my question: I am almost 42 and I have 24 years of expereince as an endurance athlete. I have had some injuries and illnesses over the years but no heart problems and am 100% absolutely as healthy as a race horse right now. So, Ihave read all the theories on computing your lower aerobic heart rate limit, and I have had several laboratory VO2 max tests. But let me ask you guys, how do you compute your lower heart rate limit and how succesful have you been at it?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobic heart rates for base training: What the heck? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Let me preface anything that follows with the fact I have never been laboratory tested for HRs...That being said, I just recently (last 5-6 weeks) went back to training with a Heart Rate Monitor...I can tell from my biking TTs (not in a Tri) that my LT is in the 165-170 BPM range...My running is about 5 BPM higher...How do I know this? I don't for sure, but based on the tables from the Triathletes Training Bible, when you compare HRs to perceived exerction to the pace table, they correlate remarkably! I use the Karnovum (sp?) formula for my training HRs (((max HR - rest HR) x training zone percent) + resting heart rate)...It seems to work for me...At 44, my max heart rate is above the recommended 220-age...Since training zones are just that, "zones", I don't thinks it's terribly critical to be dead nuts on....
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobic heart rates for base training: What the heck? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/vnews/markallen/1011626750/
This is what 'The Grip' has to say on the subject, and I'm not inclined to doubt his word as the two times I raced him it looked like the only thing that would stop him winning was kryptonite.
Enjoy.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently been reading a lot of Gordo Byrn's stuff, and I'm inclined to adopt his philosophy of keeping it simple and JFT (just f-ing train). He has a lot of good info on his website:

http://www.byrn.org/

In particular, you should read the "Four Pillars" and "Beyond the Four Pillars" articles in the Gordo Tips section- heck, you should read everything in the Endurance Essential section for that matter. To paraphrase/summarize, Gordo's current thinking is that for the average IM AG'er all training should be done in the aerobic threshold zone. Aerobic threshold (AeT) is defined qualitatively as the point where your breathing first starts deepening (somewhere near the top of Friel zone 1). He mentions some "testing" to help identify this point, but prefers the simpler method of feeling the right zone to train in by sensing the change in breathing. I feel like I've been a slave to my HRM lately, and I find this methodology a bit refreshing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of Occam's Razor -- the simplest explanation is usually the best.

From the Gordo Byrn school (as influenced by Molina, Allen, Lydiard, Hellemans,...):

"My preferred evaluation method is to apply subjective perception. Start training at an easy pace and slowly increase the intensity of exercise. AeT is determined by noting the heart rate where you feel the first deepening of your breath. This deepening is caused by the body increasing its demand for oxygen to metabolize an increase in blood lactate.

"Many coaches and athletes prefer a more scientific approach to AeT determination. My view is that this takes away from one of the key benefits of AeT training, that being, having our athletes dial into their bodies. A flexible approach to determination is useful because AeT will often move 5-10 bpm based on an athlete’s daily recovery situation."

You know what? I've done "lab tests" and the above method works and is more accurate. Lydiard defined his "Maximum Steady State" as a pace that leaves you "pleasantly tired" after a long workout, but sufficiently easy that you can go out again the next day and do the same workout.

Lydiard's protocol is to run 45 minutes away from your house at what you think is the right pace; turn around and run back with an even split. Was it a little hard to hold pace? Back off a little and try it again a couple days later. Was the return trip pretty easy? Try it a little harder the very next day. [you can do the same thing on the bike, but ride 90 min out and 90 min back].

It is very simple to find the right pace if you just dial into that zone that is harder than easy, but easier than hard -- tempered by the fact that you have to be able to do it day after day. If you're going too hard, you'll know it after a few days.

Some days, my zone is 158 on the run; other days it tops out at 152. On the bike, I'm weak right now and 148 is a little too hard. After a few weeks, you'll just "know" where AeT is at all times.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobic heart rates for base training: What the heck? [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo -- couldn't agree more.

Have three high end HRM's, haven't used any of them in >3 years. Your body will tell you one helluva lot if you simply 'listen'.
Quote Reply