Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How did you find your coach?
Quote | Reply
Hi there.
Like many people, I'm a bit of a lurker and not needed to post until now as this forum almost always has a heap of answers pre-written. Just search.

Anyway, I live in China and race occasionally when I can, but train consistently. What I don't do (yet) is have the right structure in my training. I use training peaks, cycle with power, run with hr, and swim with my 910xt. So I'd fit right in here with all my gadgets...

What I'm wondering is those of you with a coach, or with experience in this area, how did you find your coach?

I'm thinking email and online sharing is enough for me. I don't need a coach that is local or even in the same country. I can do the "set and forget" training plan for a few weeks and then check in with the coach?

What kind of setup options have worked for some of you?

I'm not flush with money, so would like to avoid big monthly fees, but not really sure what to expect? I guess you get what you pay for...

Be great to hear some of your experiences.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: How did you find your coach? [Alleged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine stalked me, showed up at workouts and begged me until I finally caved in....seriously!

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right here on ST. I noticed a few guys that kept being recommended by folks that went pretty quick.

Desert Dude was an easy decision.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After experience with an online coaching service I decided I wanted a local coach who was actually personally interested in my results. I literally googled "city" triathlon coaches. Then I googled "city" endurance coaches. I looked into the results as extensively as Al Gore's wonderful invention allowed and picked one. I have time before my big races next year so I like to give coaches 2-3 months to see how we work out.

I started with my current coach recently and I'm a fan so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one I currently use I met through my sons. They were at a tri camp last summer and he seemed to work great with them. We chatted some and he gave me his contact info. He had great online recommendations & results. Earlier this year I wanted to do some 70.3's and 26.2's. I hired him in March this year and do not regret it. We see each other face to face about 1-2x a week but converse by text & email almost daily. He emails me a weekly plan and at the end of the week I give him a summary. The main thing I needed was some one to report my progress to, and critique my results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alleged wrote:
Hi there.
Like many people, I'm a bit of a lurker and not needed to post until now as this forum almost always has a heap of answers pre-written. Just search.

Anyway, I live in China and race occasionally when I can, but train consistently. What I don't do (yet) is have the right structure in my training. I use training peaks, cycle with power, run with hr, and swim with my 910xt. So I'd fit right in here with all my gadgets...

What I'm wondering is those of you with a coach, or with experience in this area, how did you find your coach?

I'm thinking email and online sharing is enough for me. I don't need a coach that is local or even in the same country. I can do the "set and forget" training plan for a few weeks and then check in with the coach?

What kind of setup options have worked for some of you?

I'm not flush with money, so would like to avoid big monthly fees, but not really sure what to expect? I guess you get what you pay for...

Be great to hear some of your experiences.

Cheers!

no offense, but you are missing out on what a coach can bring to the table

a coach is someone who offers insight on both the physiological and psychological demands of training. Communication is key, and schedules ought not to be set in stone because so many things can change. You'd be much better off learning about the art and science behind endurance training and paying for a canned program rather than getting minimal level coaching service that doesn't offer much more above that.

One thing to remember is that unless if you are trying to go pro, coaching is a luxury. Make do with what you have rather than making compromises just so that you have a "coach." An analogy would be it's much better to have a well-running 5-yr old Honda Civic than to get the 20-yr old Benz just so that you can tell others that you drive a Benz. You may find that you won't too much input and may very well find all you need to learn from slowtwitch and the wattage forum.

As for me (bike racer only), i met my current coach via a cycling forum we hang out. His rates are reasonable enough, though i couldn't afford it a year ago when i was in grad school. We started when i asked him a few questions about training, only to get 20+ emails go back and forth. He helped me set up a schedule for 5 weeks, and it was only with his help that i was able to scavenge something out of my racing season. The approach to workout and training was just not something i'd have voluntarily done, but i now realize how effective it was. I basically paid a very low fee for those weeks ($50). A few months later, we upgraded to regular consulting, which is a program reviewed monthly, and with a monthly phone call. During race season, i upgraded to full-service, which is unlimited contact and weekly review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We met at a race. We both DNS'd the same race due to injuries. Misery loves company. I was coached for two years. That was some time back. Now I know enough to train on my own.

If you want a hands-on coach, seek out a local tri club. That'd be your best bet.

If you just want a program and someone to motivate you to get it all done, there are a ton of coaches you can find here and elsewhere online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a recommendation for my online coach from a good friend.

We only have email contact since he's in CA and I'm in MI. I get my personalized schedule and report back with how I'm doing and my files from WKO+ so he can see what/how I'm doing.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me Francois was my professor back at College, when I started doing triathlons and reading ST I made the connection that it was the same person. I talked to him and this is my 2nd year working with him.
I communicate mostly via email/chat since he is super responsive and I haven't have the need of talking to him.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you find your coach? [tvmendoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met my coach through my LBS. He was doing some beginner workshops at the shop on pace line riding, heart rate training and transition practice. It was all very helpful when I was first starting out. I worked with him for about a year. He had some issues with timeliness, reliability and follow-up, so didn't continue with him.

Currently self-coached, but get a lot of input and encouragement from other local fellow AGers and club members.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desert Dude here on ST recommended Ex-Cyclist here on ST.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you find your coach? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much to everyone that replied.

In response to "echappist", you could be right in that I might need a bit more of a canned program, but I am also looking for someone that can tweak it along the way as I (hopefully) improve.

All good stuff. I've purchased and am in the process of reading the Triathlete's Training Bible, as well as The Power Meter Handbook.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach is a local guy and a friend. I finally caved in and hired him. Training has been much more consistent and methodical, as well as the benefits of being able to tap into his experience and bounce things off of him. http://c4endurance.com/

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darkhorse Tri Coaching, found him right here on ST from a race report. This is my 2nd year to work with him and I have improved in every aspect of the sport. He answers e-mail and text and sends my workouts weekly. He customizes my workout for my ability, looks at the downloaded info to check for progress and keeps me accountable to the workouts.

Http://darkhorsemultisport.blogspot.com :Riding the Awesome Train with Darkhorse Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: How did you find your coach? [C Rose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious to the ranges people are paying for local and higher end coaches per month and what that gets you. I saw a few on-line in the $300+/month range, that were not all access, but more like monthly or quarterly feedback. Still self coached, making gains, but getting closer to the plunge to have a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew Brian (desert dude) from the Tucson running/tri community before even getting into tris. Found out he was getting into full time coaching this past fall, and made the connection. Based on his postings here, I knew he was a no frills, get the work done kind of coach. A lot of his philosophies matched up to mine, too. For example, I'm a big believer in lots of easy running, multiple days a week. He is too.

Since working with him, I've seen my bike power go up 132%, my run speed increase 6 minutes/mile, and my 100y swim time come down :35 seconds. It's like magic! Ok, so those aren't real, but we've definitely seem some results.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found mine through a friend. His rates were reasonable, and having just moved across the country, I needed someone to add some structure to my workouts since I lost my training group. He has done much more than that. In a year, I have dropped ~6 minutes on my olympic tri pr, running and biking consistently faster. We communicate almost daily. His name is Martin Spierings: tricoachmartin.com.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: How did you find your coach? [wiemers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pay is very reasonable for it to be customized for me!! Also the access is great, response is very quick from text or e-mail. Like I mentioned before the biggest thing is the accountability, he sees every workout I do which makes me do the work.

Http://darkhorsemultisport.blogspot.com :Riding the Awesome Train with Darkhorse Coaching
Last edited by: C Rose: Aug 15, 13 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: How did you find your coach? [tvmendoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall, you took my probability and statistics class and I kicked you out of the class and told you to go run because
you were clearly bored out of your mind ;-)
And that's how you started triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you find your coach? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just found this. 4 years late but thanks for the plug!

http://www.tricoachmartin.com
Quote Reply