Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking MTB info
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know any MTB forum where I can post some MTB questions? A lot of inof here at slowtwitch for tri/road riding, but what about fat tires? If anyone here has some knowledge I'll fire off some questions.

What is the best tire for all-around riding? From asphalt to hard pack trails and mud when wet. Changing tires is a pain in the but depending what I do. Using Ritchey speedmax now.

What minimum tools do I need for long rides? I heard of guys taking extra stuff (cables, chain tools, etc) due to more probability of breakage from trails.

Is green slime worth it? Want to stay light. Adventure race is priority in December.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking MTB info [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a while since I've hit the trails, but a suggestion for a forum is on Mountain Bike Mag's site http://forums.mountainbike.com/mb/ . They seem a helpful bunch.

Where I'm at is either rocks/mud or hardpacked (sometimes not) sand and I prefer a semi-slick. But they aren't so great in mud. Tools wise, I am a minimalist - allen key's chain break, tubes/patches/co2. Oh, but I ride with well stocked friends. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mtbr.com has an extensive message board that ranges from saving weight to training programs to general tech info.

Good luck.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, they don't work too good for the road, but I like the IRC Mythos a lot for all around riding. I had been using the Hutchinson Pythons, but they wear too quickly and they don't grip worth a damn in corners. The Mythos would probably be okay on the road if wear is not your concern. The knobs are moderate, so the noise/resistance isn't awful.

No opinion on slime. I would guess that it's messy if you do have to change your tire/tube.

For 3+ hour rides, I bring the same as for shorter rides:

2-3 tubes - because its easier to change than to patch
1 Set Allen wrenches - can adjust almost anything with 6 wrenches
tire patch kit - just in case
pump
tire wrenches
large trash bag(impromptu raincoat or shelter)
small first aid kit (I take a lot of abuse from people for this, but every single one of them has had to ask me for it at one time or another.)

Leatherman Wave (Do not leave home without it!) or a chain tool +. A chain tool is always a good idea. I'm no superman, but I have popped links open on my MTB.

EXTRA POWERBARS!!! - always stuff a couple in your bag. You'll need them eventually.

This is all stuffed in my camelbak, so storage space is not a problem.

If you check everything out before a ride, then this is probably all you need. The types of things that will break cables, derailleurs, etc, are probably going to end your ride anyway. You're more likely to trash your derailleur by getting a branch caught in your wheel than you are to snap a cable by grabbing the brakes too hard. In the eleven or so years I've been mountain biking, I've damaged more parts on me than on my bike. The only two certainties in mountain biking are flats and crashes.

Definitely check out mtbreview.com.

And have fun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply