Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000
Quote | Reply
What is your opinion on the top 5 triathlon bikes for under $2000 and where should you buy them? I am in the market and $2000 is my max.

My top four in no particular order:
Cervelo P2k
Felt s22
felt s25
Guru cron'alum
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000 [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good used bikes always available. I'm on a softride rocket tt7, ultegra/da, with da pedals and cateye computer for 2200. Bike had 400 miles on it when i took delivery.....just a thought
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In order from best to worst.
1. The one that fits you.
2. The one that fits you.
3. The one that fits you.
4. The one that fits you.
5. The one that fits you.

Notice a trend? Don;t compare bikes: Compare fit.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyrocket, Rode the PK2 and the Felt s22 and thought both were good bikes. The decision for me came down to the Javelin Arcole and the QR Caliente both of which I thought were better than the Pk2 and s22 (for me) but the Javelin is out of your $2000 price ceiling. I ended up getting the Caliente which retails for around $2100. The Caliente is very good bike and I picked it straight up against a bike (the Javelin) that was $500 more. Very smooth ride, stiff and great component spec (DuraAce f/r durailure (sp?), Ultegra brakes, Truvative Elita crank, cheesy (Profile Design) base/aero bar which I swapped out for an upcharge). All of the bikes you listed are good bikes, look at fit first and bike second. To me, the Caliente (and the Javelin) fit perfect and then I was able to make a choice between these two. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When discussing bikes in this price range, how come nobody ever mentions the Yaqui Manzanita? I just ordered one (today in fact) after researching bikes extensively in the sub $2K price range. And the biggest reason I got the Manzanita was fit -- I knew if anybody could dial in my fit, Ves could. At $1595, I think it's almost a steal.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000 [EaganMNTri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eagan:

Since I would be Maple Grove tri-guy, I was curious where you wound up getting your bike? I think I know but I just wanted to ask how you feel about the service and fitting.

ars
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000 [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to mention the Manzanita as well.

Let Ves work his magic!
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000 [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far,

The felt s22:ultegra/dura ace $1850
Cervelo P2k:ultegra $1999
Yaqui Manzanita $1795 105 components
Guru Crono'alum $1999
Quintana Roo Caliente $2150(maybe get it for cheaper)?
Anymore suggestions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking at 2003 models, check out the S22 and see if you can't get one for cheaper. There is a local shop here that had a few going for $1450 because the new 2004's are out. IMO, I like the 03' S22 better than the 04' S25 (which was supposed to be the same 'grade' bike).

At $1450, the 03' S22 is a great deal!
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000 [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Drinyth on this, the 2003 Felt S22s can now be had for a subtantial discount. (Several dealers in the Chicago area have started to do so now that the 2004s are dribbling out.) I owned a 2003 and liked it a lot before moving up to my 2004 DA 650. The 2004 S22 will have the Shimano DA and other upgrades, but the Ultegra on the 2003 S22 is pretty sweet and overall the 2003 S22 is a nice machine. If you don't want the 2003 S22 or can't find it in a size that fits you (and correct fit is CRITICAL -- don't buy anything that is not the right fit just to save some cash, it is not worth it) the 2004 S22 would get my vote in your price range and even over bikes that cost a bit more. Dave
Last edited by: dnovo: Sep 27, 03 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000 [dnovo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that the 04 S22 was going to retail for around $2300 compared to the 03 S22 which retailed at $1700. I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems to make sense seeing that the 04 upgraded it's drivetrain to DA. They have a new bike for 04 called the S25 which seems to be the replacement for the 03 S22. It's rumored to retail at $1700 - same price as the 03 S22 retailed for, but has some downgrades to the 03, IMO (105 front derailleurs, el cheapo break calipers, etc.).

If you don't mind the colors or the mentality of buying last years model, I think the 03 S22 is a better bike than the 04 S25. And it should be cheaper to boot since they are closeoiut models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the S22 allso comes with the Profile Carbon-X aero bars (a very nice upgrade indeed.)

As for my top bike under $2000

It would almost have to be a BP-2 Stealth (or other companies equivalent) with Ultegra and some E-bay upgrades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to add the 2004 Quintana Roo Tequilo to the list. I was out at Inside Out yesterday and they had one out on the sales floor. QR has upgraded it from a Kilo with better derailleurs, to a real P2K competitor. It now has a bladed seat tube with cut-out and rear facing dropouts, a full carbon fork, and a funky "transfer-type" paint job. It's a lot like the Caliente frame, sans the carbon stays. Not sure what the MSRP is, but I would assume it is somewhere between the Kilo and Caliente.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Triathlon bikes for under $2000 [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tequilo has been out for several years? Not sure if you thought it was new, but it kind of sounded like you did from your post. *shrug*

I considered the Tequilo when I got my 03 S22. But for the same price, my S22 had a complete Ultegra drivetrain (vs 105 in the front), 105 brakes (vs. cheapo Taiwanese calipers), and a carbon crank to boot. That and I thought the 03 Tequilo was just ugly (sorry to those that have the bike :) ).

I think the P2k is quite an upgrade to both of those bikes, though, IMO. Quite a bit more pricey though, to boot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'll have to add the 2004 Quintana Roo Tequilo to the list."

from what i've seen so far among 2004 bikes the tequilo is one of the real stars. ABG is going to sell a lot of these bikes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Mr. Empfield alluded to, the 2004 Tequilo is very different from the 2003 and older versions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are the latest unscientific results for finding the tri-bike for $2000 and under

The felt s22:ultegra/dura ace $1850

Cervelo P2k:ultegra $1999

Quintana Roo Caliente $1999(if you shop around)

Quintano Roo Tequilo 2004(price?)

Felt s25 2004 ($1600)

Yaqui Manzanita $1795 105 components
So how would you rank these for under $2000 and why?

Guru Crono'alum(I am going to take this one off, I saw one this weekend and it seemed really heavy.
Quote Reply