Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I left Charlotte for greener pastures several years ago. I haven't looked back yet. By the time I left I was relegated to either riding the "Booty Loop" (3 miles done in a frequency of n+1) or driving 45 minutes south to Mint Hill. All the roads in the Davidson area, Steele Creek, Reedy Creek, Albermarle cty, etc were covered with commercial traffic or soccer moms in urban assault vehicles or NASCAR wannabes...ya can have it.

good luck in aiken.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steveperx,
I was on a group ride this weekend and saw one of those dually pickups,
those things really need a mooring pass. I've seen smaller houses.

In regards to said boat, er truck. The reason I noticed this vehicle is that it stopped in front of the group I was with. And because of the action by the riders I can see why motorists would sooner see cyclists in ditches.
This is not to say I condone any action at all!. Some of the group was riding in a cross wind out at what should be the yellow line(country rode, mostly farm country). The guys were taking a good half of the road surface making it less than easy for cars/trucks/whatever get around.
Our truck captain came around us at a good rate of speed with horns blaring taking the starch out of those in the middle of the road. THis is where I try to make a point. Had nothing been done by the group we probably would have been okay but there is that old single finger salute which tends to excite some people. This is where the truck stops.
Now a normal thinking human would not get out of a safe vehicle in a pack of 20 or so lycra clad wolves but at this point brains were in peoples shorts. Fortunately, there were a few calm, level headed people that after about five minutes clamed the driver down, (the south shall rise again does come to mind), and et the riders rolling. You find out who your friewnds are after something like this happens. a of us had to chase back to the group because they left without us while still in peace keeping mode.
The point I am trying to make I guess is that, we expect respect on the road, but some aren't willing to return the favor. Until we as riders react to our own inconsiderations we will continue to see this escalate.

F.Y.I. I have been hit by cars 4 times in the last 6 years, it's no fun, I'm still recovery from one 3 years ago, none of the accidents were my fault.
My first reactions in all were darn that bumper is huge (this was the buick skylark), ooh this is going to hurt (usually does) and after all faculties have returened, what were you thiinking (to the motorist) and please be more careful I have a wife and kids.

Reprimand other riders when you see them doing something stupid, carry your cell phone and call the police when threatened (evenif screamed at)
and just be responsible because them dually's are huge and you never know who is driving.

Thank you for the rant and grumpy guy is just a nick name.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A member of our bike club posted the following on our e-mail list:

Here's a response I received from emailing Clear Channel about their stupid DJs. It's pretty lame but at least they responded.

Rick

September 29, 2003

Thank you for your e-mail message regarding recent Bob and Madison morning show broadcasts on G105.

Our morning show includes a good deal of animated banter, between callers and on-air personalities, that can be both humorous and caustic. The intention is always to entertain our listeners. During a couple of shows this week, time was spent by callers and on-air personalities discussing driving and cyclists. During this discussion, comments were made which at the time we felt were humorous in nature. In retrospect we feel that the some of the comments were inappropriate, and for that we sincerely
apologize.

Be assured that G105 does not advocate harm to cyclists. Again, thank you for your message and please feel free to write or phone me in the event I can be of service.

Best regards,

Ken Spitzer

Regional Vice President

G105-FM Radio

Phone: 919-878-1500

Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [grumpyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
we expect respect on the road, but some aren't willing to return the favor. Until we as riders react to our own inconsiderations we will continue to see this escalate
This is an excellent point, and one that bears repeating. It's easy for us to get angry about the stupid things these deejays said on the radio show and how they egg-on callers who advocate violence against cyclists. However, these issues wouldn't come up nearly as often if there weren't some pretty inattentive and inconsiderate cyclists out there.

That being said, I refuse to lose sight of the fact that whether it's the motorist or the cyclist who's inattentive or inconsiderate, when the worst happens (i.e., a collision), it's the cyclist who loses every time. To that end, advocating that you should use your 2-ton pick-up to force the < 200 lb bike + rider off the road, or slam open your car door into the cyclist as you drive past is way, way, way over the line (to quote Joey from "Friends", 'You're so far over the line... the line is a dot to you).

-->Steve

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply

Prev Next