Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I just realized something...
Quote | Reply
I'll preface this by saying I'm the "traditional" american male. Love pro sports like football, baseball, basketball. And when PSU college football is on, I'm either at the game or glued to a TV.

Anyway, I heard a clip on ESPN radio the other day talking about the failure of women's pro sports leagues in various sports. And, that is when I realized that I am much more intrigued by watching the women's pro triathlon results than the men's. At first I thought it had to be the skimpy outfits, but I don't think that is it. I don't know what it is... but when my TIVO captures the ITU races on Friday nights, I always watch the women's race and then delete it without watching the men's. When Lori Bowden is racing, I'm totally rooting for her and could care less about the men's race (ok, I admit this has male hormones factoring into the equation). Is the competition better? Anybody else like this? Could this be the first truely successful female commercialized sport?

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude...It's the skimpy outfits!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Is the competition better?"

I don't think so. At olympic distance, it's pretty much Lindquist and then everybody else. At IM, it's pretty much Badmann and everybody else. The men's races seem to be more open.

"Anybody else like this?"

I like watching Badman race, because she races like Larsen, and like Helreigel and Zack used to. She throws down the gauntlet on the bike and doesn't let up. But I don't care much about any of the other women's races.

"Could this be the first truely successful female commercialized sport?"

It's still a pretty small player. Women's golf and women's tennis are much more lucrative, if that is how you define success.
Last edited by: john: Sep 25, 03 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with TriPA on this one...

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dude...It's the skimpy outfits! "

Have you not noticed that they're not as skimpy as they used to be. Those one piece bicycle leg tri suits are downright ugly, especially on the women.
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Have you not noticed that they're not as skimpy as they used to be. Those one piece bicycle leg tri suits are downright ugly, especially on the women."

That and the briefs with the little "sports bras" look pretty bad on the men. :)
Last edited by: Drinyth: Sep 25, 03 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The babe factor must have something to do with it. I like watching womens volleyball too (it's exciting as well). I once saw women's volleyball Team USA in the airport. Wow! That got me searching ESPN.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be the first to be drawn to the skimpy outfits, especially when combined with hard bodies-but watching the ITU races at St. Anthony's this year convinced me that it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a pig. I found the women's races much more competitive and enjoyable to watch. Do admit that could be due to my bias from the fact that there are a lot more American woman in the lead pack. Kemper tanked the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's because the women look like they are working hard, and that makes it more interesting. The guys usually have that "I'm just out doing my 8 hours of training...OH?!? Am I in Hawaii?" look on their faces as they cruise along.

I don't think it's the skimpy outfits. Half the time you can't even tell the men from the women, since they all dress the same(men's sports bra indeed!)

I think there might also be something to the idea that seeing finely tuned female athletes competing in such a grueling event is more amazing and noteworthy than seeing men do it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch women's sports as much, if not more, than men's. However, I find that many women's team sports are not that exciting. I watch it because I'm a woman and I've been involved in team sports just about my whole life. I love seeing the US and Canadian women's teams compete at a new level. For example, I watched the Canadian women's World Cup qualifying soccer match the other night against Argentina. I have to admit that it was a bit boring. The women do not control the ball as well as the men at this level.

However, I find women's triathlon races as exciting as the men's. I think their ability is more on par with the men at that level. When you see a women finish an Ironman in 8:30 to 9:00 hours, it seems just as wonderful and exciting as seeing a man finish in 8:00 to 8:30. It doesn't seem like a sub-par performance like it does in many team sports.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally prefer the women's races too. For ITU, I think it helps that there's a smaller group dominating. You're not always saying, "who's that?" which is what the men's races often feel like. Not to mention the US domination which probably helps keep us in the states more interested (compared to the men where we're MIA).

In IM, I think we're seeing some of the finest women's IM's ever (excluding PNF, of course, who I believe should have been on the cover of the current Triathlete magazine as the greatest triathlete ever), while the men seem to be in a lull (no men have gone under 8:15 in kona since LVL in '96). Lori set one of the few sub 9's ever last year, Natascha has complete dominance in Hawaii, last year setting a bike pace that only a few men beat.

or maybe it's just the skimpy outfits. though I really hate Lindquist's speedo swim suit with the silver sides.
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think their ability is more on par with the men at that level. When you see a women finish an Ironman in 8:30 to 9:00 hours, it seems just as wonderful and exciting as seeing a man finish in 8:00 to 8:30. It doesn't seem like a sub-par performance like it does in many team sports. I'm assuming you mean seeing the women finish in 9:00 to 9:30. The women's record is 8:50, and there have only been~10 times under 9:00. I agree with you, though. Women are much more competitive w/men in endurance sports. It's really impressive when you see the top woman go top 15 overall, even occasionally top 10.
I prefer to watch the women race, but I prefer to watch the men's race, if that makes sense. On any given day there are usually more men capable of the overall victory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy, You must not be hanging out at the Y much lately. I mean I understand with a new kid and all. It's definitely the skimpy outfits!
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Womens beach volleyball is the best sport on TV.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [Jerry in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah man, you must be right. It probably has something to do with the layoff from my social life, if you know what I mean. A new baby can throw a wrench in things....

And, there isn't a whole lot to look at at the Y!

How's your traing going?

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will preface this by saying that when I read this post I wasn't going to touch it with a ten foot pole. However, I am feeling brave now, so I throw in my 2 cents and take my abuse. Largely, I don't find the female athletic form particularly physically attractive. My personal aesthetic tastes in feminine beauty run toward a more "average" or heavier disposition. It is unlikely Kate Winslet, Thora Birch or Christina Richi will be seen in a triathlon any time soon. I could make an exception for an Anna Kournikova, but, by in large, female athletes are just that: Athletes. There performances are impressive, their aesthetic impact on me personally is little different from the men. It is all about form follows function. I prefer (from an aesthitic perspective) women built for comfort rather than speed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! Now I have the song "Baby Got Back" in my head!

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom I agree with you 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the reason I am more interested in the women pro race most of the time is that many of the women seem more willing to commit everything they have to the race. (Kona--Moss '82, Ingraham '96) Look at Lindquist--maybe she is just clumsy (Lifetime last year and the 2000 Oly trials), but I think she is just willing to go harder than anybody.

On the skimpy outfit vein of this thread--EVERYTIME I watch tri at my in-laws house (they Tivo it for me) my father in-law says, "these chicks ain't got no t*t's"
He seems to forget that he said the same thing last time I was there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to disagree with you Tom. I find the hard body female triathletes very attractive. Nothing like having one pass you on the run to give you some motivation to pick it up a notch. I remember one lovely lady passing me on the Donner Lake tri in August. She was in her late 30's and was amazing...both speed and physical attributes. I chatted with her after the race (she dusted me) and she was very pleasant as well.

Overall I would prefer to watch the women race because they don't seem as afraid to show emotion (good or bad). Guys sometimes try to look tough (game face) throughout the race. I know I am guilty of that but sometimes I am just trying to keep from collapsing or puking! To all you tri-studettes out there...keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!
Quote Reply
Re: I just realized something... [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No diminishing the athletic credibility of female triathletes at all levels, or their athletiscism. I should point out that at Ironman Canada one year ('99 was it) Lori Bowden would have likely won the race overall had the run been three miles longer. I think the original theme of the post was "Is the reason I watch the women's pro ITU race becasue I find the competitors physically attractive?" I like watching the women's ITU races on OLN. But it isn;t becasue I find them physically attractive. It is because I am interested in the sport and I like to watch the good racing. If I want to appreciate women from a strictly aesthetic perspective (admittedly sexist, but I am chronically male and heterosexual) I put in my "Titanic" DVD and select the scene where Leonardo DeCaprio sketches Kate Winslett. Or when she tries to jump off the back of the ship. Or when she first gets out of the carriage at the beginning of the movie, or when she is soaking wet during the part where....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>If I want to appreciate women from a strictly aesthetic perspective<<

Well, it's nice to know that us curvy women are still appreciated.

As to watching racing.....I'll watch Steve Larsen or Natasha ride the bike. The sex of the rider doesn't matter when you can ride like they do. As for watching other racing....I'd rather do than watch. ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply