Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacement transponder key options for Toyota?
Quote | Reply
Well poop. So far the dealers all have the same price for a back up key to my 2010 4Runner. $80 for a bare bones transponder replacement key and $100 to program it. The key FOB with remote key is $200 alone. Anyway, have been reading some forums on buying blanks and programming through a series of steps, but no one has reported back with success. Also they don't note who is cutting the new key.

Wondering if anyone has had a positive experience bypassing a dealer for a back up key. I still have the master key, just want a back up. Thanks for any leads.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement transponder key options for Toyota? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you not get 2 keys when you bought it?

How about a valet key? If all you need is a backup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hardware stores that cut keys - sometimes they can also do the programming - - - try a few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Well poop. So far the dealers all have the same price for a back up key to my 2010 4Runner. $80 for a bare bones transponder replacement key and $100 to program it. The key FOB with remote key is $200 alone. Anyway, have been reading some forums on buying blanks and programming through a series of steps, but no one has reported back with success. Also they don't note who is cutting the new key.

Wondering if anyone has had a positive experience bypassing a dealer for a back up key. I still have the master key, just want a back up. Thanks for any leads.

I just did this with my car. It only came with one key and no remotes. I bought 2 remotes off of Amazon($30/ea). They came with instructions for programming. It worked like a charm. I bought a key blank off of Amazon(<$10) as well. That can only be programmed with the mini-comp. Check with a couple of locksmiths in your area, they typically have the hardware to program the key and obviously can cut it. You can also check with Home Depot/Lowes I've been in some stores that say they can cut and program transponder keys.

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just hope you find something and post it.

I"ve been looking on and off for a couple of years, for a 2005 Toyota, and it seems the only good way to go is to bite the wallet and have the dealer to it
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement transponder key options for Toyota? [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As luck would have it a stroke of luck passed my way. A conference call with one of those types who lives for hearing themselves yak non-stop. She didn't take a breath for 90 minutes.....babblerabble for the win! So I put her on speaker and started calling locksmiths. Finally found one who has the computer to key the transponder and blanks to cut. $75 + tax. I can live with that, but the dealer pricing was ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been rolling the ghetto key for about four years now. Just a regular car key to open the doors and work the ignition. I just can't bring myself to pay to replace it.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garry wrote:

I"ve been looking on and off for a couple of years, for a 2005 Toyota, and it seems the only good way to go is to bite the wallet and have the dealer to it

Here's a key for a corolla. <$4

http://www.amazon.com/...ponder/dp/B003S87D4W

Call a locksmith to see what they charge for cutting and programming.

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dealer will cut a regular (non security key) for $9. Bought the key fob on ebay and programmed it myself. But you need to check the year sometimes you can sometimes you cant. My other car if you had 2 you could program a third. If you did not have 2 you had to go to a dealer.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement transponder key options for Toyota? [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edwinj wrote:
Garry wrote:

Here's a key for a corolla. <$4

http://www.amazon.com/...ponder/dp/B003S87D4W

Thanks !!
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement transponder key options for Toyota? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been rolling the ghetto key for about four years now. Just a regular car key to open the doors and work the ignition. I just can't bring myself to pay to replace it.

Same here. One remote got stolen and the other got ran over. When the second one got destroyed I called the dealer and the total bill was going to be something like 180$. I said "It's a key" and their response was basically that I had to have it so I had to pay it. I basically responded, "You mean people don't realize they don't need to turn the alarm on and can unlock the door manually"? Which I've been doing for the last several years.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Replacement transponder key options for Toyota? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

Same here. One remote got stolen and the other got ran over. When the second one got destroyed I called the dealer and the total bill was going to be something like 180$. I said "It's a key" and their response was basically that I had to have it so I had to pay it. I basically responded, "You mean people don't realize they don't need to turn the alarm on and can unlock the door manually"? Which I've been doing for the last several years.

~Matt

are you talking about the little remote thing? that locks/unlocks? totally different. I talking about the little chip in the actual key. I can get a key copied anywhere it will unlock the doors, but that's it. Won't work the ignition without that little chip in the key. I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you talking about the little remote thing? that locks/unlocks? totally different.

Yes. I have no experience with the chip key ones.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garry wrote:
edwinj wrote:
Garry wrote:

Thanks !!

Did you end up calling a locksmith to take care of this, Garry?

I've been trying to get a replacement transponder key made, but I'm still not sure which route to take.

So I was wondering how your trip to the locksmith went? What did the final cost come out to?

I was reading up on transponder key programming a bit to help with my decision: https://unitedlocksmith.net/...nder-key-programming

I'm in no rush right now, so I want to hear other peoples opinions before I decide to go with either the locksmith or the dealership.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement transponder key options for Toyota? [DennisNorman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ace hardware copied my Benz for $6 and cut it for 4. I bought the blanks on amazon.
I was looking at $500. I do not need a remote on the chip key and it has worked well.
Quote Reply