Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Depo Provera Injection - Thoughts on it?
Quote | Reply
Hi! I recently had my IUD removed and decided to go back to the oral birth control method. Needless to say, my blood pressure went through the roof and I am now left with minimal ideal choices for myself. I'm wondering if any of you female athletes have tried Depo Provera Injection and what your thoughts are on it.

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Re: Depo Provera Injection - Thoughts on it? [Jyanda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your blood pressure went up in response to the pill, you may have an even worse response to the injection. Sounds like hormone based contraceptives may be out for you.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Depo Provera Injection - Thoughts on it? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They told me its not the same hormones. That I should be fine. Yikes! I'm somewhat hesitant to do it, but I'm signed up for Thursday.
In Reply To:

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Re: Depo Provera Injection - Thoughts on it? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, it is the estrogen component that causes hypertension, not the progesterone component. Depo is just the latter.

Some people love it, some hate it. The only downfall is that if you hate it, it's stuck around for a few months.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it for several years, several years ago and had no problems with it.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Depo Provera Injection - Thoughts on it? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your feedback. Most if the stuff I found in the Internet research was from the people who were not happy with it. I'm sure there are more good then bad. People usually don't comment if they didn't have problems. I'm going to give it a try I guess.
In Reply To:

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is always a risk and benefit decision. Many like the fact that they don't have a cycle and it is VERY effective contraception, but weight gain is more of an issue than with OCPs or with IUD, mood is a little more likely to be affected, and it is not as predictably reversible when it come to fertility as the IUD or pills. I am a gynecologist and am not a big fan, except for the very effective part. It is also associated with bone loss when used over long periods of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Depo Provera Injection - Thoughts on it? [Purple1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! It probably won't be long term. Maybe a year at the most. I had the shot today. Fingers crossed I don't get one of those horrible rare side effects.

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that you've had the shot, but I'm another person that used it for years and loved it. The only *possible* side effect that I would mention is that sometimes I would feel a little down if I let it get too long in between shots. Sometimes I would get the shot a week early and I would feel a lot better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on depo for years when I was in the military, then the military medical community recommended people who were on it for a long time (I think over 5 years) should transition off it because of the loss of bone density that was related to long term depo use. I went off it and it took me about a year before my period came back even being on the pill. now I use the nuva ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been on it for 20 years! Clearly love it. No periods. I get a dexascan every 3 years to monitor my bone density. At first I bled a lot but it eventually went away. Hang in there!
Quote Reply