Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Planning the fall races with hip degeneration
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I cancelled all my spring races due to my hip which an MRI shows full thickness cartiledge loss, labral tear and some partial muscle tearing all, I suspect, that has been there for quite some time. The MD suggests joint injections etc then probable arthroscopy. If I have surgery now, it will be a slippery slope at my age(54). I can't undo this degeneration as I have really gotten my miles out of all my joints. I figure I am headed for a hip resurfacing soon so I want to get a few more miles out of these joints before I do:) I am on Mobic and doing OK. I can't run 2 days in a row, and I have been running 30-60 min doing 4 min run/1 min walk with that. I bought some Hokas(fabulous). I have signed up for the Army Ten-miler in Oct and a oly tri a few weeks before that.
So I have really scaled back the running and am doing much more riding as this is painfree. Running doesn't hurt when I do it but it sure can catch up with me the night after. I find I can only do 3 times a week running and I haven't done any bricks lately. I strength train 3+ days a weeks specific to my hip and stretch with focus on hip flexors etc.
I want to believe I can do these races this fall esp the Army one. I figure I can get only one long run a week followed by a day of no impact. The other 2 runs probably need to be less than an hour.
Tell me your opinions. If I had caught this way long ago, I may have done things differently but I didn't. I had hip pain for quite a while and the MRI shows multiple sites of remodeling from previous injuries. Oh well. As long as I can keep the pain down, I would like to do what I can before I have to "have something done".
What do you guys think I can get away with? Stupid or OK as the pain allows. Oh, I have lost almost 10 pounds since I started this rehab and want to get about 10 more off this summer. That is going OK.
Thanks all!
C
Quote Reply
Re: Planning the fall races with hip degeneration [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cayenne,
I can't offer much advice, and have plenty of empathy to share. I've been dealing with various hip and low back issues for more than a year now, and have had to cancel/change many race plans.

I'm going through the hoops now to get my insurance to cover an MRI, so there are a range of diagnostic possibilities that I've been trying to educate myself about. Here's a link to a good review of the literature on labral tears:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2697339/

At our age, I think the key is figuring out what we want out of life. At this point, for me, the pain and disruption caused to my family life is not worth what I get out of racing. So I am preparing myself to say goodbye to that for awhile. Your decision could be different.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply