Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roth Bike Rental
Quote | Reply
Only thread on this subject I could find was from 2009 and had 0 replies...

Anyone ever rent a tri bike for Challenge Roth? I am flying from the states to do the race, then traveling around for a while after that. I have quickly discovered that traveling with my bike is an utter pain the a$$.

My options currently are:

1) Pay $200 to get bike there on airplane. Store it for 10EUR a day for 2ish weeks at airport, fly back with it (two itineraries so $400).
2) Pay $200 to get it there. Ship it back via Fedex for $500-$600.

Neither are very attractive options for my wallet, so if it's at all possible to rent a bike there I would be interested. Anyone done this or know of bike shops in that area that could help??

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [mcnnr27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike are you looking at? I know a few triathletes and bike shops in the Nuremberg-Erlangen area (some 30-40km away), tell me a bit more of your intended set-up and I can see if someone can help you out...

Also, where are you flying into? Frankfurt, Munich, Nurenberg?

Cheers,

Edit: German umlauts didn't display properly

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Last edited by: wickert: May 18, 13 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Roth. What size of bike would you need? I might get you in contact with some LBS.
Or I could do you a favour (store your bike at my house) if you can do me a favour (send me a pm if interested).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: May 18, 13 3:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you thought about the possibility to leave the bike at another sports guys place. Would only make sense to find someone living airport area. Maybe you can ask on triathlon-szene.de

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [wickert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wickert wrote:
What kind of bike are you looking at? I know a few triathletes and bike shops in the Nürnberg-Erlangen area (some 30-40km away), tell me a bit more of your intended set-up and I can see if someone can help you out...

Also, where are you flying into? Frankfurt, Munich, Nürnberg?

Cheers,

Awesome, thanks! I'm on a pretty stock 56cm 2012 Cervelo P2, so probably as similar to that as possible I guess. I could travel with my wheels, saddle, and helmet.

Flying into Frankfurt, but then out of Nuremberg so let's just pretend Nuremberg.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Have you thought about the possibility to leave the bike at another sports guys place. Would only make sense to find someone living airport area. Maybe you can ask on triathlon-szene.de

Not a bad idea, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bavarian_Frank is your go-to man.

@Frank: do you know whether Radsport Buchstaller rents bikes? They carry Cervelo, so the OP could get exactly the same bike, minimizing fit issues.

If that doesn't work, ping me again.

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wickert wrote:
Bavarian_Frank is your go-to man.

@Frank: do you know whether Radsport Buchstaller rents bikes? They carry Cervelo, so the OP could get exactly the same bike, minimizing fit issues.

They don't do it officially but sometimes they have a few used bikes available or they borrow one from a local athlete ...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there!

I signed up for Roth 2014 and I have the same plans you did (travel around after the race). What did you ended up do? Did you rent a bike or take yours? Can you tell me? I would like to rent the bike or leave it in Nuremberg (at the airport maybe). In case you rented, could you tell me from whom (the shop contact details)?

Appreciate your input!

Regards
Gui Moraes
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [Guifmoraes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello. I am also wondering what you decided to do with your bike for Roth. I am trying to plan my post-race travels too and any suggestions for storing bikes would be great! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [scole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a used Trico bike case to bring my bike with me. We were staying in a house and the owner let my friend store his bike there afterwards. I wasn't going home after returning to Nuremberg though so I shipped the case back home via FedEx, which in a case of corporate brilliance ended up costing me $0 - they quoted me X dollars to ship it, I shipped it, they called and following conversation ensues:

"Sir, it's actually X+350 dollars"
"no way, I'll pay what I was quoted"
"I'm sorry I cannot offer any discounts, your bill has been adjusted"
"I will pay what I was quoted, or else I'm taking the money back guarantee since you guys delivered 1 hour late"
"You would be entitled to that sir"
"Really though, I'd like to pay what we agreed on"
"I'm sorry sir I can't do that, but I can honor the money back guarantee"
"ok, I'll take all my money back..."

Anyway, not much specific advice here, but I'm sure you could figure out something where you stay or at a train station or airport for storage. Good luck, Roth was amazing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the airport storage will work just fine (i am counting on that).
Anyway, good to know that things work out just fine and that Roth was amazing! I cannot wait to race there!
take care!
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [Guifmoraes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't pay to leave my bike at the airport, if they even allow that. Luggage storage is always very pricey. Try the HI hostel in central Nuremberg?

Unless you are staying in Roth, you will need a vehicle for the race. I suggest renting a wagon (estate) and taking your bike with you on your travels. The upgrade to a wagon will be cheaper than storage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send an e-mail to TriBike Transport....if they get enough of us they will service this race and the problem is solved.

You are going to LOVE that race! I am psyched to return.

Do you have any inside tracks to decent air fares?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
S

Do you have any inside tracks to decent air fares?

+1. Holy crap airfare to Europe is expensive right now.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flew to Roth to race last year (from the US), and my bike was damaged beyond repair once I arrived in Germany. Was able to rent a bike from one of the vendors at the expo, and they did a great job setting me up on such short notice. Look up Laufrad Hannover, as they were the ones who supplied me with my bike. Getting a Blue Triad two days before the race was a nice help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very interested in renting a tt bike for Roth challenge 2017. I am travelling from Australia for 1st time. I would need a 58cm bike . Can you help with this?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Frank can you put me in touch with anyone who may loan or rent a 58cm tt bike for 2017 roth. ? Thanks in advance [reply][/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [Lofty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lofty wrote:
I am very interested in renting a tt bike for Roth challenge 2017. I am travelling from Australia for 1st time. I would need a 58cm bike . Can you help with this?
In Reply To:

I was there 2 years ago and rented a bike for 3-4 days to tour around, and watch the race. I rented a bike from 2 wheel Mueller. They are a local shop and they gave me a pump and repair kit as part of the rental as well. Might be worth reaching out to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth Bike Rental [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I will check that out
Quote Reply