Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope AP had a good half marathon and that mistressK had a good HIM.
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week went well. I survived my first official week of 50 mile training. My goals were:

-5 runs: done for a total of 38 miles. I
-2 yoga/stretch: I am calling it done - 1 yoga class, 1 foam roll session, and one stretch session although the stretch work was unstructured and not very organized.
-3 OT sessions per day - done. I likely did closer to 5+ but it earned me a OT sabbatical this week. Since I don't see my Dr till next week and we can't progress to hard activities until he clears me, my therapist gave me a break this week as long as I promised to continue my home program. It will be so nice to not have this time suck this week.
- Run easy when it says easy - 50/50 fail. I likely ran way to easy for 1 run as I ran with someone who was having a bad day and had to coach her to the finish. Wednesday run was likely to hard as I ran with a friend. But sunday's easy run was all ok. I also didn't do my long run as written by the coach. I am bad athlete sometimes.

I am going to stick to similar goals for this week with some slight modifications: 6 runs (including doing my long run as a split run per the coach), 3 yoga/stretch/foam roll, 3 OT sessions per day, and follow my training plan.

And if anyone is interested, on May 15, I am starting a 30 day plank challenge where you do a plank per day for 30 days increasing time so that you are at 3 min on Day 30. I created a facebook event and have somehow managed to get over 70 people to join the challenge. PM me and I'll send you the link to the public event if you want to join.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: long swim, 4-5 swims total, 3-4 bikes, 4 runs
Long swim: did two. However, only 3 swims (not tooooo worried). Rode my bike every day. Two days were only a mile each (to gym and back), 4 days were 3 mi (campus and back), and the long ride yesterday. Short rides count for something! Running goal met.

Eating not so good... two bad days, but I am back on track now.

M - 15 mi run
T - 5.5 mi run + 6500 scm swim
W - 10 mi run
T - 4 mi run + 7000 scy swim
F - 9.5 mi run
S - 9 mi run + 3600 scy swim
S - 3:05 bike

Also got about 10 miles of walking in either reading stuff for school or with my roommate's dog (the dog has figured out how to guilt trip me). Hip exercises three times and shoulder exercises once.

Goals for this week: 4 of each sport, one of the swims long. (1 run + 1 swim done)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 5 incl. half marathon Sunday: WIN
Bike x 0: Haha, WIN!
Swim x 2: FAIL. I needed sleep on Thursday more than a swim.
Core/strength x 4 - bodyweight only, foam roll left calf daily: WIN
Keep nutrition in check: WIN
Get some sleep: WIN

Massive taper was massive. I seriously did bugger all last week, but for the greater good: an 11min PR at the half marathon Sunday. Ok, so I'd only ever run 1 (that wasn't part of a half iron tri) previously, and that was in my first year of running with far too little mileage and experience, but fuck it - I now have a sub-2hr half to my name. Slow by ST standards, but faster than I expected to be able to lug my chubby ass along.

This week's goals:
Run x 4 with no pressure
Bike x 3
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4
Stop eating everything in sight

First tri of the season is now less than 3 weeks away, and I somehow ended up with 4 event between May 26th and June 14th (a sprint tri, a charity 5k at which I'm pacing a friend in their first race, a 100km cycle tour and a 1 mile race), so recovery is priority. I also need to dust off my tri bike - neglected since last September - and see if I can actually be ready to ride it in anger before the end of this month!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Not a great one. I had some pains at the beginning of the week which completely derailed my training. Feels like I pulled a muscle in my left leg. Also slept wrong and had a very painful crick in my neck plus piriformis issues all conspired to give me 3 days off.

Saturday I did an easy run to get the legs moving again. Still sore so I kept it short. Sunday was my long run which didn't go great. Got a late start because I was feeling guilty about not letting my kitty get some outside time. Silly to some of you but she deserves a little fresh air. By the time I got running it was almost 80* and I picked the wrong route so I was in full sun with no shade. Low 80s by the time I was done. Only got in 10 miles and that included some walking to cool down a bit. My brain loved the sun and heat but my body not so much.

I've got a massage tonight then will get back into the swing of things Tuesday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was decent.
4 rides
6 runs, with an early Sun. morning gorgeous run that was my longest since the injury, 7.55 miles at a relaxed/easy pace (and I love what my easy pace is now).
1 swim - masters

Falling down a bit on the strength training / PT as the weather warms and I want to spend all my time outside.
Got some more tile done on a bathroom renovation (tiling shower stall)
within about 3lbs of weight goal

This week:
keep progress on the running
10 mi bike TT on Wed (unless weather or work get in the way, hopefully they don't)
better about doing my PT exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my week as not as good as I wanted it to be. I ran 8 miles vs a planned 12 and managed to get in a few core workouts. My big issue was that I tripped while running on a sidewalk and managed to make one of my knees quite sore. I was running with my cattle dog who proved his loyalty. He stayed right by my side licking my face even when i temporarily blacked out from the knee pain. Looking back on it I am quite lucky he is so loyal because he could have just run off since I somehow dropped his leash.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your pr! That's almost - 1 min per mile :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad week. Post-65k run, I took three days off - walked a lot with the dog but no running. Ran a double (6k ez + 8k ez) on Thurs, then rode my bike ~1hr on Fri. Another ez 6k on Sat, then 1/2 marathon on Sunday. After the first 5k went by fast, I realized "hey I'm not supposed to be racing this thing remember?" - the goal was to treat it like a 2hr tempo run, not try to set a PR. After all I have a 50k this coming Sat, so .... I deliberately slowed myself down. And I had a great time - ran into an old buddy along the way, met a 22 times Comrades finisher, enjoyed the sunny day, and lo and behold, I'm fine today - already ran and felt fine. Finished ~7min off my PR time, but who cares. The funny thing is that I'm so used to "racing" that it was quite an experience to let it go and just enjoy the time. :-)

this week:
M: 6k ez DONE
T: 8k with 4x hill repeats
W: off or 6k EZ
R: 6k ez
F: off or 6k ez
St: 50k - this will be a good chance to test out my running in heat as we've got a mini heat wave going on now - last chance to dial in the clothing (what shorts? that's my big dilemma right now) nutrition and fluids for a warmer run.
Sn: Enjoy Mother's Day - Mimosas & BBQ on the back deck with the family

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planck challenge sounds like fun! Count me in!

I hear you on the EZ runs - I tend to run too fast and then cook myself for subsequent runs. Need to find a friend who runs slow & likes to chat!

Hope the wrist is healing well!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wohoo!!!! An 11 min PR is huge and you are fast by my standards!!! Way to go!!!!!

How do the legs feel post race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week was pretty good.

Will start with last Sunday. Took 8 students to race - two relay teams & two solo. 200yd pool swim, 10.5mi bike and 5k. they had a blast and are dying to do it again. Very competitive field for the 16-19yr divisions as a couple of collegiate teams showed up. I did not race as fielding 8 kids through a tri was fun but like herding cats at times. One young man has an engine - won his age group and came in 9th overall on a road bike, sitting bolt upright! He also carried on conversations with his friends in transition - sigh - kids . . . He can run like a demon so if we can get him swimming better, on an aero bike, and quicker in transitions, he is going to be a monster!

Training last week went well.
3 hard swims
2 hard bikes - am loving my new bike :-)
only 3 runs (wanted 5)

Need to get running volume up as this is my weak link.
Goals this week:
3 swims - one in open water if possible
3 bikes - 2 hard, one EZ
5 runs - 1 long, 1 hard tempo and rest EZ - really need to keep this goal!!!!!

First tri is only 4 short weeks away - YIKES!!!

Happy training to all the womens!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome and YOU ROCK for taking them.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [marcia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have a cattle dog! I loved her to pieces. She lived to be 16 years old.

Sorry to hear about the fall. Blacking out from pain is NO fun!

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good week for me too. Slowly upping the run and bike miles, while trying to push up the swim volume. Sunday had a three mile river swim race that got turned into two when the conditions got really rough--good prep for the Ches Bay 4.4. It's left all my ouchies a bit sore, but I'm hoping that will settle down quickly.

On tap this week is 5 runs, 4 bikes, 5 swims, the 1.2 swim leg of a HIM and a sprint tri. The sprint will be a good test of what I've lost/gained over the past year of struggling with boo-boos.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to share a picture of Bailey my cattle dog

he is a year old and just started running. So far he is a very fun dog (active, loyal and a goofball). I do find that this pup does more gross stuff than most of my other dogs combined. Not sure it is because he is bored. I still love him :)

anyhow he is my running companion as we get back into shape and he is really enjoying it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I do find that this pup does more gross stuff than most of my other dogs combined.

He's smart and curious. Get ready for many adventures and more than one emergency vet trip! ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh.Em.Gee!! He is so dang cute!! I got my Katy from a rescue when she was 10 years old so we didn't get much running in together before it was too hard for her. She was such an amazing dog. Scary smart!

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 6 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
Wohoo!!!! An 11 min PR is huge and you are fast by my standards!!! Way to go!!!!!

How do the legs feel post race?

Thanks tigerchik and themadcyclist! Legs are still rough - course loses 250' of elevation from start to finish and my quads are shredded from the pounding. Feeling a bit better today than yesterday, though; I no longer have to just chuck myself at the car door and hope I land on the seat!

Just walked yesterday evening - going to try a short run and hit the pool tonight.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Starting my taper for IMTX! I did this race in 2011 and hated the taper period, but this time I felt ready for it - I'm not wiped out but more fatigued. I'm doing my scheduled workouts - it was nice to "just" have 1.5 hr workout last night instead of 3 hrs - those long workouts after working all day and a 1-hr commute each way were rough. My other goal is to start catching up on all the stuff I've been ignoring. I haven't updated my checkbook for 2 months (haven't had any unusual expenses, so we should be fine!) or filed paperwork for 6 months - there's literally a foot-high stack I need to go through. Yesterday I put a roast in the crock pot before I went to work so we had a decent dinner, and last night I cleaned up the kitchen and folded two loads of laundry. Tonight I might try to put the laundry away ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally raced a triathlon again...although as I entered the dirty waters of Tempe Lake, I remembered why I swore off racing down there! Ha! It was an all-women tri, very fun.
I did OK...4th overall, 21st AG. Fastest bike split, was in 2nd off the bike but got caught by 2 girls pretty quick...running used to be my strength but a 22 min 5k is about as good as I can hope for right now.
Going to race an Uphill TT this Saturday..should be interesting!
Quote Reply