Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! My quads are 1" larger (I kid you not) than they were ~7 weeks ago. SCARY!!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
... I'm trying to figure out how I will entertain myself without vision...

Any recommendations for dealing with the post-op?

Sleep. I'm dead serious. When I got mine done in 2010 the doc told me that the more time I spent with my eyes closed in the first 12hrs post surgery the faster they'd heal. They gave me some sleeping pills to take, which I did and went right to bed. Slept from ~4pm right through to the next morning when I went back for a follow-up.

I've never once regretted having it done - it's truly awesome to be able to just do stuff and not have to worry about contact lenses, etc. I wrote up a fairly long thread in the main forum re: my search for the right doc and the procedure if you're curious.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. 1"? You might have to change your name to AnyPantsHUGEQUADS... ;) hee hee hee

Great job, the mileage is IMPRESSIVE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was a new experience. I might try another. We'll see. I have this sneaky feeling any attacks I might do would be quite short lived and wear ME out more than the competition! LOL. I don't really have that bike racer 'snap', and it was windy... so no one wanted to be out in the wind either.
The idea of crits scares the crud out of me - I've watched a few.
I'm thinkig at this point I'll probably stick to Tris, TTs, and 'cross. Where I'm at has a great TT series that's mid week, has a relaxed attitude, and low cost. Good way to push yourself once a month and gauge fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how about "Andy Huge pants"? haha

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...you all are doing great things!
Agilecipher---good luck on the Lasik...I had mine done in 2001ish and still one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I'm old enough now I need reading glasses for closeup stuff, but I'm fine for outdoors activities.

So, last week, with Boston, West, and some personal stress, I just didn't get much training in...one bike trainer workout, and one short run. But I did lose 2.5 lbs, so yay on that! PT for my shoulder (10 weeks post-op) has hit a plateau, but I'm getting refocused on breaking through that.

So, for this week...I must do at least 2 trainer rides (yay, Coach Troy! lol) and 2 or 3 runs. And PT. And 2 days at least of core. And 1.5 more lbs lost.
I even told my BF to not come home from work until I verify that I have done my bike workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the A race you are training for? My BF is doing the 50 mile run at Leadville.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome advice - thanks for adding your perspective. I'm amazed by how many people have done it (my coworkers thought I was nuts and think it's too expensive... I think that not fussing with glasses/contacts EVER AGAIN is a fantasy come true via science). My worst fear for my first tri was that someone would kick my goggles off, I'd lose a contact, and have to quit on account of blindness.

I like the idea of the sleeping pills - will pick those up when I get my other Rx's today (the antibiotic and tears).

I've also set up my phone so I can listen to books on tape if I can't sleep.

I trust my doctor implicitely - he's a Harvard md and does the SF 49ers and a few Giants.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there is lots going on with the womens!

Last week was dominated by camp. This sea level dweller did some runs at what I consider high altitude, 4700' and up to 7600' w/SallyShortyPants, and it was humbling. My heart was pounding out of my chest.

I did a double run day with a swim between that was awesome. I haven't done that many workouts in one day since I was training for Ironman 5 years ago. SSP and I did a crazy run that started at 6000' and ran up to 7600 over the course of about 5 miles. Lots of power walking on the steep sections and a few stops to admire the view. We wandered around at the top, where there is a campground, for a few minutes then headed back down. She managed to get us a bit lost on the way and we did some bushwacking down a ravine but we landed safely. Round trip was close to 8.5 miles. When we got back to the house we were both so hungry and tired we just stared out the window and shoved food on our mouths. I was then off to LA and my flight home. Tiring day but awesome.

I'm still recovering from the trip a bit. I had a major boo boo trip and fall at the start of the margarita mile and I wasn't even drinking. Nice sized bruise and road rash on my calf. Still not sure how that happened. My whole body is sore from the running up and down steep hills and I'm just tired. So worth it though!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comrades. June 2nd.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Can't wait to hear about it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was my first week back to working out post pregnancy. I managed to do 2 runs of 2 miles each during the weekend. The runs felt hard and I wasn't completely out of breath which was good because I have not run since thanksgiving. I was super slow. Good news is that all soreness came from running and didn't have any soreness related to the pregnancy (I was a little worried about that).

I have lots of work to do to get back into racing and drop this weight I am carrying around but this I am glad to be back after such a long break.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy the new bike, and I can't wait to hear about how the students' tri goes.

As for 5 am swim practices, any time I get up at 4 or 4:30 I am pretty tired by midafternoon and certainly useless beyond about 8 pm.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earth Week:

Mon: work; finalize house offer and get all that signed. NERVOUS!

Tue: Fly to LA. Talk to bank lady on way to Xantusia. Hang out with Monty.

Wed: Another paper to sign and luckily Dan was there so I could print/sign/scan. Meet Carol and Beth. Walk done with Beth. Kristi, Meg and Sally arrive! WINE!

Thur: 65 minute hike with some of the Womens at Devil's Punchbowl. Not used to altitude but the hike was good. Knee a little sore at the end, but not bad.

Fri: Longest ride in months with Kristi. Though I did peter out before climbing the hill to the house. Knee held up fairly well. Crotch did not. Note to self: Next year ship own bike in advance.

Sat: Solo ride later in the afternoon and the goal was to climb that damned hill to the house (11% in one place). Done! And not that far off the time from last year.

Sun: 2 mile walk/jog before leaving. Longest bouts of jogging in years. Packed up and drove back to LA and had dinner in East LA with one of my best friends. Got ready for Monday's flight.

Slowly getting back into the groove. Thanks to the Womens!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P.S. Where is the women's bike racing where they go 12 mph??????? Here in TN, the womens go balls to the wall from the gun.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, my ass is big enough thanks ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I survied!

I was told to keep my eyes closed for 4 hours. Just opened them a few minutes ago and can see. I slept on and off for the four hours, since I had to get up every hour to take more drops.

My fiance DID end up staying home with me, as he was getting more worried than I by the end. That "smell of burning flesh" thing was creepy, but the entire things was SUPER fast and great.

Zero regrets!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you're doing well, and that Kyle stayed with you. But WTH, get off ST and save your eyeballs!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it today (Sun) instead of Sat as the weather was supposed to be better (it was, good decision). I ended up doing 63.7k in 6:55. Still felt perky enough at the end to "run" the last k hard(ish). I bet tomorrow will suck but now I know I can do this... biggest surprise: right glute min is unhappy due to the cambered road! oh and beef jerky is really awesome after 5+ hrs of running. So are choco covered pretzels. :-)

90k for the week. All good stuff, every run had a purpose and felt good.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
6:55
that is like a whole day! Unreal. Nice job :-)

*AP at office scene*

Coworkers: So how was your weekend?
AP: Pretty good.
Coworker: What'd you do?
AP: Went for a run.
Coworker: and... ?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odd... that's exactly how it goes ;-)

I have a sign above my desk that says :

DO NOT FEED THE ANDREA*

*until June 2nd

My CEO is always flabbergasted at my running, he stops me in the hallway to ask about it all the time, it's cute ;-)

AP

EDIT: oh and I am 3rd for run distance on the training log totals this week :-)

------------------------
Last edited by: AndyPants: Apr 28, 13 21:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!

It must feel so good to do the training, feel good and be so close to your goal race!

Congrats on the run and the run totals! I think you ran more than my bike, swim & run total for the week,

Excited for ya!
Quote Reply

Prev Next