Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Could I have had my last run?
Quote | Reply
So this week has been a bit difficult for me as I went to the MD and after xrays and an MRI-I found out I have full thickness cartiledge loss, labral tear, bursitis,effusion,and glut min/med tears blah,blah,blah. Kinda stunned right now but am putting together a plan. I have been having sharp hip pain for almost 2 weeks that has been run stopping. I can still ride and swim so I am happy for that.
Funny thing is right before that I ran 2.5 hours in prep for the races I have coming up with no issue and it seems that most of these issues are chronic in nature. So what threw me over the edge? The swelling, the tears
I am taking a bit of time off from running and getting another 15 pounds off as fast as I can via "Whole30", working the hell out of my core and doping as much hip strengthening as I can with tore mm-now I know why my hip has seemed weak even though I do all the ex I know for strengthening. I will cycle and swim, start yoga, pilates all with the plan to get back to running for my sanity as soon as I can. My IM/marathon days may be over.
So this is why I didn't get into MCM!!!!
Any other suggestions??
C
Quote Reply
Re: Could I have had my last run? [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really understand the need to come up with a plan in order to cope, but I think your best bet is to wait a bit before making any big decisions. My experience with some similar injuries is that things can look very different day to day.

If you haven't got one already, find a top notch PT ASAP--one that works specifically with athletes. That person can help you maximize your functioning, identify your limits, and then based on that, help you figure out which sports are best for you.

Best wishes

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Could I have had my last run? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on this, things will change, so be open to that. Don't write things in stone i.e.: do something silly (like I did) by signing up for races that I had no business signing up for... ;-)

I'd also add to find some other activities to help occupy your time & mind. Simply moving your running time to cycling and swimming might not be enough for you (I needed to pick up other activities to keep me feeling "challenged").

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Could I have had my last run? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with finding a good sports PT and even a trainer to work the hip (who knows what he/she is doing). Thankfully I've found both and I could barely walk about 4 months ago and now I'm actually doing a little jogging along with all the lower body exercises we do in the gym. And I have no cartilage left in my left knee.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cayenne wrote:
So this week has been a bit difficult for me as I went to the MD and after xrays and an MRI-I found out I have full thickness cartiledge loss, labral tear, bursitis,effusion,and glut min/med tears blah,blah,blah. Kinda stunned right now but am putting together a plan. I have been having sharp hip pain for almost 2 weeks that has been run stopping. I can still ride and swim so I am happy for that.
Funny thing is right before that I ran 2.5 hours in prep for the races I have coming up with no issue and it seems that most of these issues are chronic in nature. So what threw me over the edge? The swelling, the tears
I am taking a bit of time off from running and getting another 15 pounds off as fast as I can via "Whole30", working the hell out of my core and doping as much hip strengthening as I can with tore mm-now I know why my hip has seemed weak even though I do all the ex I know for strengthening. I will cycle and swim, start yoga, pilates all with the plan to get back to running for my sanity as soon as I can. My IM/marathon days may be over.
So this is why I didn't get into MCM!!!!
Any other suggestions??
C

What I put in bold face type. Reassess after you've done this. If you have it to lose, then take off more. Not putting so much strain on your frame makes a huge difference. easy to type; hard to do, I know...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pm sent

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been there, done that. :) I remember the very moment I could no longer run, and I sat down by the side of the river and bawled my eyes out. From there to a cane, from the cane to the couch, and bring on the depression & weight gain. Finally had a Birmingham hip resurface April 2011. I've always been at the back of the BOP but it's wonderful to be able to do what I love to do again. You can do it. Day by day. Keep moving forward.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

~~ kate

http://www.irnwmn.blogspot.com
http://www.stayclassy.org/irnwmn
http://www.semperfifund.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really sorry. Keep us updated.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Cayenne -- this must be so distressing right now, but you'll come through fine. What you need most is patience.

One more small (but big) piece of advice -- try to stand as much as you can through the day. This will work your core better than all the other stuff combined. As weeks go by and your strength builds, you can slowly and gently stand on one leg for spells, then the other. Make sure not to slump your hip on whatever side is giving you trouble -- the pelvis should be completely horizontal and level rather than 'rested' atop the head of one of the femurs. This takes strength in the rotators and they won't be used to it and they will complain, so only do it for as long as you can without discomfort; build from seconds to minutes. Also, if you have any leg length discrepancy, get it levelled off with lifts (for standing/walking only, running orthotics are a whole different ballgame).

Get a standing desk or organize your workspace to make this possible. Good luck!

http://www.yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Could I have had my last run? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all!
Started on Mobic this week with some results.The ortho doc offered hip injections then a scope after that. I know where that leads at my age.
Been riding my bike a lot but just doesn't have the same emotional benefit. I will try a bit of a short run today -only 30 min and 4min running/1 min walking.
Kate-glad to here the hip resurfacing is working. I have heard not so great results with women. Can you jog a bit? Like you, I am trying a pretty aggressive diet to get the weight off. Life is tough this week in the low carb camp. I will tolerate it, though, if it means me getting back to running.
Now, today was a HM I signed up for and of course I didn't do it. Mixed feeling about the Raleigh 70.3 in 7 weeks-don't know if I could wrap my head around stopping after the bike. With this low carb diet, the training has been less than stellar-did a 60 miler yesterday and barely averaged 14 mph. I keep thinking the weight loss is the key to helping the degeneration. Lost 2 pounds this week-yeah!
Thanks all!
Quote Reply