Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Treadmill Trickery . . . Or is it Me?
Quote | Reply
I'm fresh off a 10k run on a hotel treadmill (brand new, touch screen, which i hate, but that's beside the point . . . )

My calves feel absolutely trashed and I could only get up to 9.5 kph without huge exertion (I'm very slow but not that very slow).

I find that even in my home gym, some of the mills are much 'easier' to run on than others. For this reason, I stick to the same one where possible, and am always disappointed in my workout when I don't.

Anybody else get treadmill frustration?

http://www.yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Trickery . . . Or is it Me? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not experienced any leg trashing

But, I have noticed that different treadmills are calibrated differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never worry about the speed setting on treadmills as they are all different. I just go by perceived exertion. Doesn't matter how fast/slow it was - you just did a 10k run in a hotel which is better than ordering room service and watching Dance Moms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give yourself a pat on the back to run at the hotel... on a treadmill.

Yes, I agree. The gym treadmill (Lifetime) vs my home treadmill (Livestrong) are completely different. I have a harder time running on my home treadmill, my warm up is typically 30+ secs slowers on that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is calibration. I used to have a home treadmill and it felt different than my gym treadmill.

I also swear there are days at the pool where the water is thicker.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Trickery . . . Or is it Me? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I also swear there are days at the pool where the water is thicker.

This is fantastic!

I mostly have issues with spin bikes being calibrated terribly - my instructor said to go by my heart rate instead of meaningless gear #'s. This is definitely the first time I've heard of a screwed up treadmill, though - sounds plain broken to me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Trickery . . . Or is it Me? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also swear there are days at the pool where the water is thicker.[/quote]
I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. I can go out on the road and run 6min/k for a couple of hours. Get me on a treadmill at the same speed and it feels like my lungs are about to explode!! I thought it was just me!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a foot pod with my garmin on treadmills to get more accurate pacing. It may not be 100% accurate but it's much closer then what most treadmills will give you, since as others have said, different treadmills may have different calibration. Also, I always run at 1% grade and very few treadmills make pace adjustments based on the elevation grades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't run on a treadmill in ages, but I did always find it harder than running outdoors. Ditto with indoor bike trainier vs actual ride outdoors. I hate indoor training.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Trickery . . . Or is it Me? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the responses -- they're cheering me up! The weather has been uncharacteristically keeping me indoors all winter. My love/hate relationship with the treadmill will continue because one thing I love is the opportunity to scope all and sundry going on around the gym. So much fun watching grownups doing their thing in their own playground. I guess this is one more indication that I"m not going as hard as I ought to be (when I figure out how to upload smileys, one goes here).
Quote Reply