Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Osteopenia and meds
Quote | Reply
I did a search of the forum and found a couple helpful threads awhile back, but was wondering if any of you have recent experience with osteopenia and how you dealt with it? Are you taking meds? If so, which ones? Any experience with Raloxifene/Evista? Side effects with training?

Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Osteopenia and meds [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have osteopoenia. I am too young for bisphosphonates (I'm 26) so can only do weight-bearing exercise and make sure I get enough calcium and vitamin D. I take Twin Labs Bone Support or Tri Boron Plus for Ca... and if you look on the How Was Your Week? March 25 Edition thread, there's another good calcium supplement mentioned in Instigator's post.

Bisphosphonates have been around for long enough now that we're getting some data about their long term effects. I haven't read any of the literature but look for papers by Dr. Nelson Watts or Dr. Cliff Rosen. They're two of the leading researchers.

Weight training can be very helpful. I have yet to find literature recommending specific exercises, but if you do total body workouts it will probably help... I think push ups are good as you're strengthening the bones of the forearm (Colles' fractures, a specific type of fracture in the wrist, are common in those with low bone density). Likewise, planks will help load along the long axis of the humerus. Back extensions to strengthen the muscles around the lower spine (which in turn will pull on the bones and strengthen them) and I try to hit trapezius and rhomboids as they're around the upper spine. I really worry my back will be hunched over when I am older :-(
In general when it comes to lifting I think about pushing and pulling .... oooh, overhead (shoulder) press is another good one.

One hypothetical issue with training in the early AM is you're not supposed to eat for 2 hrs after taking bisphosphonates, and can only drink water, and need to stay upright. (Supposed to minimize risk of esophageal side effects as esophageal cancer has been noted in some cases). That means you could only run, and no brekkie. Not really a big deal IMO.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Osteopenia and meds [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I have osteopoenia. I am too young for bisphosphonates (I'm 26) so can only do weight-bearing exercise and make sure I get enough calcium and vitamin D. I take Twin Labs Bone Support or Tri Boron Plus for Ca... and if you look on the How Was Your Week? March 25 Edition thread, there's another good calcium supplement mentioned in Instigator's post.

Bisphosphonates have been around for long enough now that we're getting some data about their long term effects. I haven't read any of the literature but look for papers by Dr. Nelson Watts or Dr. Cliff Rosen. They're two of the leading researchers.

Weight training can be very helpful. I have yet to find literature recommending specific exercises, but if you do total body workouts it will probably help... I think push ups are good as you're strengthening the bones of the forearm (Colles' fractures, a specific type of fracture in the wrist, are common in those with low bone density). Likewise, planks will help load along the long axis of the humerus. Back extensions to strengthen the muscles around the lower spine (which in turn will pull on the bones and strengthen them) and I try to hit trapezius and rhomboids as they're around the upper spine. I really worry my back will be hunched over when I am older :-(
In general when it comes to lifting I think about pushing and pulling .... oooh, overhead (shoulder) press is another good one.

One hypothetical issue with training in the early AM is you're not supposed to eat for 2 hrs after taking bisphosphonates, and can only drink water, and need to stay upright. (Supposed to minimize risk of esophageal side effects as esophageal cancer has been noted in some cases). That means you could only run, and no brekkie. Not really a big deal IMO.

Tigerchik,
Thanks for all this really good information. It's very helpful. I am on my 2nd stress fracture (1st one was tibial, 2nd one 3rd metarsal) in a year and a half. The timing of each really sucked - 1st one was in my last long run, 2 weeks before Kona, in Kona training, and the most recent one in mile 3 of the Ironman Los Cabos marathon. Boo!!!

I am 53 so bone loss is expected but I am losing it at a faster rate than expected. I have been super diligent about calcium/Vit D since the first one. I have been consistently weight training since then, though with TRX not regular weights, and way more upper body than lower, so need more work on lower body. I will check out the supplements you suggested and also that were posted in the other thread you mentioned. The meds I wrote about - I don't like the side effects that I have read about so I don't want to go on those.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also diagnosed with osteoporosis when I was under 30. I received opinions from several doctors and all pushed to do a bisphosponate, but I refused based on family history with side effects and the unknown long term effects. I ended up deciding to do a year of Forteo, daily Teriparatide injection, which improved my dexa numbers to osteopenia. It has been a few years now and seems to have helped me.
Quote Reply
Re: Osteopenia and meds [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have osteopenia, they didn't suggest that I take any drugs...just take a calcium & Vit D supplement and recheck in a couple of years...now I am wondering if I should be doing something else? I'm 39 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Osteopenia and meds [raz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raz, I would check with your doctor. Were your z scores closer to normal or closer to the osteoporosis end?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just looked at my results and my T-scores were all around -1.8, so I guess right in the middle of the Osteopenia spectrum? According to this report, they suggest biophosphates for scores -2.0 and worse. I will monitor it and probably follow up later this year.
I think I had low bone density from the climate I grew up in (Northern Europe) and being lactose intolerant (my parents never substituted with calcium rich drinks), and after a melanoma scare, I wear super strong sunscreen here in AZ. So, the thought was that it was dietary/lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not super excited to be joining this conversation but i got the results of my DEXA scan today and they indicate osteopenia (0.749-0.935) with the lowest scores in the lumbar spine. My GP recommended me start taking 1200 mg of Ca and vitamin D. I am also to followup with an endocrinologist as I have had two fractures in the last year. Yeah me!

I also just found out that I have to have surgery again on my left wrist so I am full good news today.
Quote Reply
Re: Osteopenia and meds [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noooo! Such a bummer but glad you got the scan and will get on supplements.

Sorry about the surgery :-(

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry. Many, many hugs.

My lowest score is lumbar spine too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
Not super excited to be joining this conversation but i got the results of my DEXA scan today and they indicate osteopenia (0.749-0.935) with the lowest scores in the lumbar spine. My GP recommended me start taking 1200 mg of Ca and vitamin D. I am also to followup with an endocrinologist as I have had two fractures in the last year. Yeah me!

I also just found out that I have to have surgery again on my left wrist so I am full good news today.

Sorry :-(
I also followed up with an Endocronologist after my Dexa scan, everything tested out normal. Hope that is the same for you.
Just an FYI with the calcium...your body can only absorb about 500mg of Calcium at a time, so spread your intake thru the day. I take a 500mg supplement at night that has Vit D also.
Quote Reply
Re: Osteopenia and meds [raz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my doctor always orders bloodwork to check calcium levels, vit d levels, and an NTX study - the latter is a urine sample that measures calcium excretement to see if that is abnormal. Something to ask about

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same bloodwork drawn today and will ask about the NTX study. Thanks for all the input. It really helps to know what questions to ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not exactly related to the original posting but as i learn more about this, I have a couple of questions...

1) what do you know about vitamin K2? A friend recommended a book on the link of K2 and Ca. I just got it yesterday so I haven't completely got a good hold on it. I do know that I don't eat many of the sources of K2 so I either need to change that or maybe look into supplementation.

2) What Ca/D supplement do you use? TC - I know you use TwinLabs but I was looking for other recommendations. Also, how and when do you take it? My dr recommended 1200mg of Ca a day and I know i need to spread it out but haven't got that down yet.

3) I don't see my endocrinologist till end of July (first available appt) so any other recommendations on things to do between now and then?

thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
2) What Ca/D supplement do you use? TC - I know you use TwinLabs but I was looking for other recommendations. Also, how and when do you take it? My dr recommended 1200mg of Ca a day and I know i need to spread it out but haven't got that down yet.

I take two Tri-Boron Plus (is a calcium supplement with other stuff) at night

Quote Reply