Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 25 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 25 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week was good!
Goals were

Quote:
- Ride tomorrow (Tues) --- didn't do
- Swim MTW (today's done) then if I feel like it while home --- swam MTW :-)
- Take advantage of Maine snow to XC ski (Maine is supposed to get LOTS of snow tomorrow!) didn't ski and now I think the snow is gone :-(
Mostly want to spend time with my family from Thurs. onward but plan to run/ride a bit. My little brother just got a new bike trainer and he says he'll share. :-) spent time with family and used new bike trainer!
Other goal is no bingeing. I have the coping skills - I just need to use them. I can do it!
--- doing really well. 11 days in a row of doing well!

M - 8.5 mi run + 3000 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 6200 yd swim
W - 8 mi run + 2200 yd swim
T - 1h40 bike (trainer)
F - 6.8 mi run
S - 6.8 mi run
S - 2h45 bike

Totals: 11,400 yd swim; 4:25 bike; 38 something miles run; 9.3 miles walking.

So it is all going well. I am enjoying my time home. We are playing many games of Settlers of Catan! My favorite. I swam in the 20 yd pool here this morning; I am on the U Maine campus for the day (Dutch lessons + giving a presentation), substitute teaching for half a day tomorrow... :-)

Goals for this week: run 4-5 times (1 done), bike 3x, swim 2x (1 done), yoga at least once.
And keep doing well with eating ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Mar 25, 13 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel good about last week. I missed a run but had fallen asleep so I'm taking it as a sign I needed a rest.

Beat my ambitious goal for the half marathon yesterday. I was pretty worried about it since the course is very tough and my goal was a big jump from January's half but I beat it by 1:17 so I'm happy. I just need to keep plugging away!

I'm very tired and feel cruddy today. Rest day today, early bedtime, then back at it tomorrow. I'm going to try and flip my days around a bit and get in my runs before work. This will be a challenge for me. I'm changing because right now I am starting them so late then eating dinner late. I think it will also help my sleep if I go to bed without a belly full of food.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 25 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the PR!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too bad a week.

I failed at swimming. I just couldn't bring myself to swim while I was away for work... and when I got home I had a race and a very early morning the next day so I skipped it...
Already failed one swim this week... I even drove to the rec center and sat in the parking lot, trying to convince myself to go in...and couldn't. After swimming master's for 10 years, I have a hard time going at it solo. Just couldn't bear it.

Back to last week.
Failed at swimming, only strength trained 1x but I knew that because of the race I had on Sat.
Ran 4x... but the really awesome news is that I ran 3 miles without pain on Fri. and Sun. afternoon. This is huge. I haven't been able to do a full 3 mi without pain since the injury last November.
YAY!!!
I don't even remember what I did on the bike. I know I rode at least 3x but it might have been 4, I can't recall.
Anyway, I did a dirt road bike race on Saturday and had a lot of fun. Surprised myself and was happy with my results. Surprised my husband, too - I was only 10 mins slower than his time... and was able to keep the rubber side down. :) I think I stayed upright by ignorance - I had no idea how icy it was.
The coolest part for me though was the fact that I am totally in love with my non-anemic self. For once, I can ask my body to respond in a race and it does. I feel like a completely different athlete. I'm not puffing and gasping for air. I don't have the feeling of strong legs and weak lungs. The best part though, is that I'm having MORE FUN than I ever have had before. EVER.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job with the food stuff! Keep it up! You CAN DO IT! :)
I like that you are enjoying the bike, too!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 25 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job!!! You are doing amazing. And I'm glad you had that nap. FWIW - the rule of thumb is to take approx a day of recovery for each mile of the race. So if you need extra recovery time, take it. That rule is greatly dependent on level of fitness and age. Just take care of yourself.

Keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great training. I'm happy you are home. Good job!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 25 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running w/o pain. That's huge! just remember to advance slowly. I usually get painfree - do too much and then end up injured again. So good luck and I'm so happy for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't have a bad week last week, but didn't hit many of my goals. My legs were just too tired, so I tried to listen and back off a bit.

Last week's goals.
3-4 swims - LOSE, only one
3 bikes - LOSE only one
6 runs - WIN, and got a 21.6 mile long run in. Last long run before Boston. But my legs were hammered and so it was slower than I wanted.
3 core - LOSE - only one.

This week's goals
Swim 3-4 times (I already got one in)
Bike 2-3 times
5 runs w/ long run of 15-17 miles.
3 core (one done)

I've also been using Myfitnesspal app for calories, and I've lost 2 pounds so far, 2-3 more before race weight.

Happy training everyone
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 25 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination - yay for 3 miles and iron!!!
nad - nice long run. Your legs will come around :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6 w/slightly reduced mileage: FAIL with 5; definitely reduced mileage!
- bike x 3: WIN + 1
- swim x 3: WIN though all short
- core/strength x 4 but nothing heavy: WIN

Holy crap, that Spring Classic race on Sunday was a bloody killer! I'm glad I actually tapered for a few days before it, though I probably shouldn't have done 3hrs of training the day beforehand. I was going to get up and run 30mins beforehand (it didn't start until 11am), but I'm glad I slept in instead as I was completely wiped afterward. Race report here.

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 4
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

Back to it - had an easy day yesterday and didn't lift heavy this morning. Legs aren't really sore but I just feel tired overall - I did spend more than 4hrs on the bike Sunday right around the freezing mark and I hadn't rode more than 1h30m since last October. Hope to be back to full strength for the long weekend!

Jen, you are awesome! Glad to hear the other womens were having better weeks, too.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Mar 26, 13 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These threads are very inspiring. I am amazed at both the volume and consistency you ladies put in, just great stuff. I need to get off my duff and get my training in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work, Jen, TC, Misstress K... everyone's doing so much better than a while ago ;-)

I had a complete UGH/FAIL/MELTDOWN last week. I was riding to & from work Tues thru Fri, and ran easy on Wed and Fri mornings. By noon on Fri I completely shut down. I actually felt sick. Not cold-sick, but like I'm gonna chuck-sick and my head is full of cotton-sick. It had obviously been too much of everything. So I went home early and completely LOAFED (napped, went to bed early, slept in, etc.) the rest of Fri and all day Sat. Mentally it was very refreshing to not have to do ANYTHING. So I made BBQ all weekend - pulled pork on Sat and brisket on Sun. By Sun mid-day I was feeling a lot better so I went to the local pool and did the circuit training for 40min and swam for 40min. Then napped some more ;-)

This week:
M: Run (am & pm to & from work) - DONE and felt AWESOME
T: Run (am); Ride to & from work - DONE and felt AWESOME
W: OFF (Inventory count at a subcontractor's - will be on my feet all day)
R: Run (am); Run (lunch - optional)
F: Good Friday - day off - might take K xc skiing or go snowshoeing before the snow's all gone.
St: Run 10-15k
Sn: Run 30-35k (with the option to bail/shorten if I still feel too tired).

The following weekend (April 6/7) will be a big volume double weekend, so the long Sunday run is not that important (it is, but not KEY).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello tri sisters,
I've been hanging low for awhile. Had yet another setback/injury, and since it feels as though about all the news I've had since last July has been about injuries, I just didn't want to go on about it, particularly given some of the really serious shit ladies on here have been dealing with.

My spring tri season has been cancelled so I'm focusing on an A swim race--the Chesapeake Bay 4.4 in early June. Last week did 18,100 meters, which puts me back on track for where I need to be at this point in swim volume. Shooting for 20k this week, and trying to do at least 2 swims a week in lcm pool.

PT cleared me for light jogging and cycling, so I'll start to sprinkle some of that in very slowly. And strength and stretch work every day.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 25 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back. I'm glad you're feeling better. Start low and go slow on the running especially. No set backs. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last weeks goals
Not kill my dr for giving me full clearance when my wrist was obviously still not healed completely - done and even negotiated a below the elbow cast with a promise to behave
4 rides (so far this has been doable on the tri bike without much pain) - only 1
3 runs (or walks or stair mill - whatever doesn't hurt)- done but some of these walks were really short (30 min)

so i pretty much took last week to sit around and mope about my wrist/arm. The only reason the workouts got done was either a) I was coaching a run workout and it was to cold to just stand there or b) i was meeting friends for dinner and had 30 minutes to kill before meeting them. I decided on sunday that if I am to have any sort of a race season this summer, sitting on the couch will do me no good so I am back on a bike heavy focused training while my wrist heals.

This weeks goals
7 rides - I can only ride for about 1 hour before my fingers start to swell and my arm hurts so I am splitting everything into 1 hour blocks
2 walks/elliptical (still no running until my dr sees some progress in bone mending)
3 strength

Saw the dr again yesterday and got my very own exogen bone stimulator. It is supposed to speed healing so lets hope it works. Thankfully my insurance covered the full cost of it. I go back in a week for more xrays and will hopefully get clearance to start running a bit.

Congrats on everyones successful races. You all rock!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 25 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope the bone stimulator helps, and helps quickly. Twin Labs Bone Support is a really good calcium supplement (it has Mg, K+, boron, and manganese in it too) if you need one of those.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HUGE grats on sticking to your goals!!!

-----

Monday: 1 full hour spin (began early, felt strong)
Tuesday: 30 min strength training, then met with my Physical Therapis that evening. He was AMAZING. Attributed my calf pain to a tear that never healed (cutie thought he could convince me to take a whole month recovery, lol!) and gave me exercises to strengthen my hips and feet/ankles. Does the 15 min jogging on the treadmill for him count, too? He believed I've been ramping up too fast (completely sedentary in October of last year) but encouraged the continued exercise.
Wednesday: 45 min spin + 15 min hill run on treadmill
Thursday: Ah-may-zing charity event in San Francisco called "Taste of the Nation". I ate, I drank, I won an auction for a lunch and tasting in Napa (to be used for my bachelorette!). Regrets? I have none.
Friday: Pack pack pack, move move move. YAY for new apartment with 10x more space for our trainers and other exercise. Longer pool, bigger fitness center... bigger hot tub...
Saturday: Unpack ALL the things. Dance in my new walk-in closet. A lot. Chase cats out of places they shouldn't go. Glare at halfwit cable guy who claims he can get EITHER my tv or internet working. Yeah, right.
Sunday: PT exercises and a long walk.

-------
This week's goals:
Monday: Spin (win!)
Tuesday: 1/2 hour pt (win) + did additional strength exercises + my PT exercises
Wednesday: Spin
Thursday: Run 3-4 mi
Friday: Be stuck in a car all day as we drive down to San Diego for my fiance's first half IM in Oceanside. Avoid junk food stops. Swim in pool at hotel.
Saturday: Ride my bike around the course to cheer my fiance on. Swim in pool at hotel.
Sunday: Spa time (I booked a massage for him and a massage-facial-mudwrap for me) and beach trip. Run on the sand.
Monday: Be stuck in car all day as we drive home. Avoid junk food stops.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the twinlab recommendation. I have been talking some Ca and Mg but likely should look into a "bone complex". I saw rappster recommended one on the main forum but its so expensive. the twinlabs looks more price friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. Can you point me to the one Rappstar recommended? I am curious.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. It was in the sticky thread for Zach:

Best product, IMO/IME, for healing broken bones - http://us.cpoliquin.com/...e%20matrix%202.0.htm

Hmm. When I take into account dosage and quantity, this product and the twinlab get a bit closer in price. No clue what one to order.
Last edited by: instigator: Mar 29, 13 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bone Matrix one has a higher Ca content, so you'd only need 1 pill versus the two I usually take of bone support. That one does look a bit better. Made with horse tail bones... I wonder if I can get over the ick factor...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i saw that as well. I am thinking that by the time it arrives, I will have forgotten that it contains them. My life is so frantic these days that I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast :)
Quote Reply