Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compression options
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on compression wear. I think I want to get some, but I don't know what to get: socks, leg sleeves, or tights? I feel like socks or calf sleeves would be a good entry into compression, but will I get much more out of tights?

Also, my dad wears some compression socks for a medical issue that he got for $18 - is there any difference between these and the ones the athletic companies market for $45 other than fashion?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Compression options [kathy07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Kathy,

I have used the Skins brand tights for 4 years and like them. I use them for recovery after a long run or even bike and I feel better the next day than without them. I just bought a pair of the CEP compression socks that I wore after my Bataan Death March on Sunday. I think they are OK but not as effective as the tights. I do intend to try a pair of the compression calf sleeves since the socks are not thick enough for my preference. Will report on the calf sleeves once I try them.

Short answer: I think there is benefit for recovery, no matter what type of compression brand you have.

Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for the compression socks you can get at Walgreens or CVS or any other pharmacy. They are way cheaper and provide the same support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your intro to compression, I'd recommend the calf sleeves. You can wear your normal socks with them and wear them while running, if you wish. I started with a pair of the drugstore compression and I found the polyester material to be a bit too itchy/non-breathable. I also didn't love the amount of compression on my feet. The tights are great, but obviously a much more expensive way to see if compression does anything for you.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have calf, socks and full tights. I wear my full tights, Zoot Recovery tights, more than the others. After a long run they feel great. They are expensive but occasionally you can find them on sale at Sierra Trading Post or the Clymb.

I've found the calf sleeves to usually be too tight at the top and bottom openings so they are uncomfortable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Compression options [FastCat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 - this is what I do, but I honestly only wear compression gear after my events or long training sessions. I also use these socks for flying (which I seem to be doing a lot of these days).

Way cheaper and I can actually claim them on my medical benefits from work! :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply