Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

super foods
Quote | Reply
We've talked a lot lately on here about all the foods we can't / shouldn't eat. I suggest we start a thread about all the wonderful foods there are that taste good and will help us stay healthy. Recipes would be great too.

Here's my short list

spinach
chocolate
walnuts
yogurt - greek if possible
pumpkin
apples
berries
eggs
oatmeal
Quote Reply
Re: super foods [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for starting this thread, I am always looking for new ideas. I will add in quinoa. I have tried several of these recipes and thought they were yummy.

http://www.cookinglight.com/...00073996/page18.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll play.

Yummy -

• Squash
  • Fish
  • Wine

Quote Reply
Re: super foods [JRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wanted to start quinoa for a while. I actually even bought it, but haven't tried it yet. So I'm thrilled, and thanks for the recipe site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always in my crisper:

- broccoli
- asparagus
- zucchini
- mushrooms
- bok choy
- carrots
- cucumber
- spinach
- bitter greens (kale, chard, collards - always have one of them on hand)
- avocado
- blueberries
- raspberries

Chop any combination of the first 6, sautee in a bit of oil, add whatever seasonings and/or protein you like, and serve with a starch if desired (I keep rice pasta; rice stick noodles; brown, basmati & jasmine rice on hand).

Chop any combination out of that list, toss in a bowl and add dressing and/or nuts/seeds if desired. I eat a spinach, avocado & berry salad daily.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
The pistachios and cherries recipe is my favorite one. We will be having that tonight with scallops for dinner, getting hungry just thinking about it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kale. I heart kale.

I made a yummy kale slaw last night with an Asian style dressing. My book club ladies loved it.

2 TBS each:
Tahini or P Butter
sugar or agave
rice vinegar
minced fresh ginger
juice from 1/2 lime
Soy sauce or tamari
add 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic and 1/3 c sesame oil. Red pepper flakes or chili sauce if you want a little kick to it. I blend mine dressing up in a mini cuisenart but shaking it up in a mason jar or whisking it would work well too.

Dump it over chopped fresh kale, chopped purple cabbage and shredded or chopped carrots. You can also crumble some tofu in for extra protein. Yum yum. You could also add some shelled edamame for extra protein and yum factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot eat solid food after mid-afternoon....I just get really sick. Recently I have started juicing and am finding it really good!! I juice Kale, beetroot, cucumber, celery, carrots and spinach in lots of different combinations. I also juice fruit, but have that sparingly due to the sugar content.
Quote Reply
Re: super foods [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yum. I haven't really had a lot of kale in my diet. I can't wait to try this.

I forgot to add

Sweet potatoes!!!! I love sweet potatoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I have a sweet potato for breakfast every day - microwave it, chop it, drizzle it with almond butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Joy!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Gogi berries, especially thes one with organic dark chocolate. Great snack!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently discovered bee pollen. I don't know if I believe all the health benefits it's supposed to have, but I like the taste of it. I sprinkle it on yogurt or add some to smoothies.

Chia seeds are another good one. I make chia pudding with coconut water, chia & dried cherries. Let it sit overnight and it's pretty tasty and filling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to say coconut water as well. Great for athletes to replenish potassium and magnesium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the dressing would also be good on a regular cabbage and carrot slaw, maybe with some sesame seeds tossed in. Also good on rice noodles mixed with veggies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dates dipped in cashew butter or drizzeled with tahini. The sugar content is way high but if it comes off a tree I'm not too fussed about it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almonds
Low fat mini babybell cheese
Fiber cereal

Those are (the healthy) snacks I get free at work. At home I try to feed us healthier foods -

Roasted chicken
Spinach salad (walnuts, cranberries, light vinegarette)

Roast beef sandwiches au jus with light chips and a pickle (super easy to make by picking up fresh ingredients at the supermarket on the way home, toasting the bread and melting cheese on it, and providing a "pretty" but generally healthy meal)

I'm also a huge fan of mini rice-cake treats - I get the 100 cal packs that are flavored (caramel, chocolate, and cinnamon apple). They cut any weird cravings between meals so I am not frustrated or over eat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Spinach (I eat a 1-1.5 cups of flash steamed spinach a day)
  • Beet Juice
  • Fresh Ground Peanut Butter (just because)

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: super foods [squarewheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yum, I love those.
Quote Reply
Re: super foods [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
Almonds
Low fat mini babybell cheese
Fiber cereal

Those are (the healthy) snacks I get free at work. At home I try to feed us healthier foods -

Roasted chicken
Spinach salad (walnuts, cranberries, light vinegarette)

Roast beef sandwiches au jus with light chips and a pickle (super easy to make by picking up fresh ingredients at the supermarket on the way home, toasting the bread and melting cheese on it, and providing a "pretty" but generally healthy meal)

I'm also a huge fan of mini rice-cake treats - I get the 100 cal packs that are flavored (caramel, chocolate, and cinnamon apple). They cut any weird cravings between meals so I am not frustrated or over eat.

I could not, for the life of me, find these at the grocery store the other day. Very frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mainstays:

carrots
avocado
cherry tomatoes
greens powder/spirulina, pumpkin/hemp protein powder
spinach/kale
beets (shredded into salads)
sweet potatoes
eggs
apples, bananas
sardines (on salads and awesome with avocado on toast)
dark chocolate
plain yogurt
oats
tofu, edamame, all kinds of beans and lentils
miso paste
olive/sesame/coconut oils
flax seeds, almond/peanut butter, nuts, hemp seeds, chia seeds

. . . . . . . . .
-julie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinach salad with tomatoes and cucumbers.
Very nice on those hot days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat quinoa every week! I love to mix in curry, coconut milk, kale, squash, zucchini sliced almonds and just about anything I have in the house.
Quote Reply