Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My "long" ride of the week was at Sub-9 Death March and had a blast. 8 hours of gravel, hills, mud, rivers, hills, puddles, more mudd, and some pavement in search of 5 checkpoint cemeteries and 7-8 bonus time checkpoint cemeteries. It was a long hard day on the bike but I think the base miles will pay off in the long run.

That sounds awesome! Congrats.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I diet for days at a time, only to go off the deep end, esp over weekends when I'm home more and working out more so I justify it.

I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse to know I'm not the only one who does this.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I'm sure we have lots of company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, yes you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
The positives are you know you're at a healthy weight, and you love your body. But I think we (and a lot of women) have the idea that skinny is better because of society / media, etc.

I find I have more body image issues now than I did when I was a (relative) couch potato. Nasty tendency to focus on what I want to lose rather than what I've already won.

Every now and again I get a reality check when I look at some random person and think "they look fit and healthy", then realise I'm actually carrying less body fat than they are.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Mar 12, 13 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
It sounds like everyone is doing amazing.

AP - good luck on the 50K - please give us a race report
Lucky - You and I are sisters from different mothers. I often have a race schedule (and get hurt) like that. Haha. So many things to do, so little time.
Everyone else sounds like you are all training really well. Go us!!!

last week was recovery week
I got 3 swims in- which is huge for me.
3 bikes - started Trainer road and I'm hooked.
3 easy short runs.
only one core

This week
3-4 swims - want at least 8 K
3-4 bikes, w/ one being at least 2 hours long
5-6 runs.
2-3 core

Happy training everyone

Maybe from different fathers... I have a sibling your age that I've never met:) Though I wish it could be mothers cause, damn, I'd like some of your mitochondria:)
Well there's another vote for Trainer Rode. OK. OK. I'm checking it out this week!

Btw, that is one tough week you've got coming up :) When are you going to start your taper for Boston?

ETA: I went back and checked your age. No, no we can't be siblings... I misremembered by a couple of years. Darn.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Last edited by: luckytotri: Mar 12, 13 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Yes, yes you do.

:)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote luckytotri Btw, that is one tough week you've got coming up :) When are you going to start your taper for Boston?

Boston isn't until third monday of April, so 5 weeks to go. I'll probably only taper a 1-2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I was just fiddling with my run logs and discovered my 15k was 48 sec/mile faster than my half marathon in January on a very similar course. I have my next half marathon on 3/24 and coach and I have set an ambitious goal. It is a tough course so it is going to hurt. I like it that way :-)

I want to share another success. The weight is coming off finally! I'm not severely overweight but on the heavier end of where I want to be. I'd like to drop 10lbs by my marathon in August. No one would look at me and say I need to lose weight so this isn't for vanity. I want to drop the weight because it will make me a faster runner as long as I do it smartly.

I think the weight is coming off because my metabolism is finally on fire. I've been doing a lot of speedwork/intervals/accelerations/hill workouts so my heart rate is getting up there several times a week in addition to my easy runs. I'm running around 10 days then take a rest day. I've also shifting my eating to taking in 80% of my calories before 3:30 pm (ish) and only take in around 300 calories post evening workout. My carbs are roughly 50-55% of my daily calories so my workouts are well fueled and they are feeling strong. My net calories daily is 1500 and I might be able to bump that up. Net = calories consumed - calories burnt. I have my RMR and V02 tested in 2010 and it turns out I burn 80 calories/mile so I use that to calculate the final number.

I use calorieking.com and have for many years. Big food database, easy to use.

Everyone is a little different but hopefully this has been helpful and provides ideas for others trying to drop a few lbs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:

As far as me - been in winter maintenance mode for the past two months so training has been fit haphazard keep some aerobic fitness training. I have also been in a bit of a funk with the cold weather and lack of sunlight.
!

Uggh. I am right here with you. Work has been stressful lately and I had to cut out training, which my body interprets as stress. I lose my appetite and stop sleeping, so I had to cut back. Now I'm in a funk where siting on the couch watching awful TV is more appealing than doing all of the stuff I normally love.

How do I stop this? I set the goal this week to just try and have fun dipping a toe back into training, but it all seems like so much effort.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe try not thinking of it as "training" and instead think of it as getting moving again. Commit to 15 minutes. Usually once you do you keep going.

Training puts pressure on you but just getting moving without any other goal than 15 minutes takes a lot of that pressure off. That's what helped me start up again after 10 months completely off. Just doing stuff for fun without a race or anything else looming over my head. Once I got back into the rhythm I focused on a race.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kat, can you think of it as exercise for health? It's important that EVERYONE exercise - lowers blood pressure, etc. I have a friend who told me the days she doesn't feel like working out she says "I'll do 20 min of something because it's healthy."

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: weight loss - that's fantastic - congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen - that is really impressive improvement!!!! It is so rewarding when the hard work pays off.

Would love to hear more about the training you have been doing that led to such a nice time improvement. I have been working on my run this winter - but mostly EZ runs bc I am new to the run part of multisport. Have been adding in 30s hill sprints once/wk but need to add in some race pace work. However, I struggle with sore legs whenever I add in the fast stuff. Fun doing the speed work but I just don't recover well. Maybe I'm going to fast, trying to hard?

To katcycle - do you have friends to workout with? My friends are good at helping me get out of my winter blahs once the weather starts to turn nice. We met for group workouts and keep each other motivated. The once nice thing about getting back into shape is that you see big improvements in fitness from week to week!

Quote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work with a coach, Joanna Zeiger, so I hesitate to give a specific week of workouts but in general this is how my weeks look:

Monday: Easy run of 50 - 60 minutes. I run these slower than goal marathon pace. I've also been known to stop and take pictures or rescue caterpillars from the trail. These tend to be recovery from the long runs on Sundays so I slack.
Tuesday: 70 minutes of Threshold or Tempo. These can get complicated such as ladders (1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 4 min then back down with 1 min rest between @ 5k - 10k pace - twice thru)
Wed: Easy run of 80 mins. Usually a little slower than half marathon pace.
Thursday: Easy run of 50 mins. Usually a little slower than half marathon pace.
Friday: Double run day. 30 mins easy in am. PM is usually a hard workout such as hill repeats, 60 - 70 mins.
Saturday: Depends. This week was a 70 min hilly trail run, last week rest, week before easy 60 mins.
Sunday: Usually race day. If not, long run day. 2:30 to 2:40. Second half is always a little faster than the first so a negative split is the goal. I tend to run these right at half marathon pace. Sometimes followed by another 30 min very easy run in the evening. I got out of the second run this week because I got such a late start on my first one :-)

You may be going too fast. It's easy to wreck yourself if you are always running speed work at 5k pace or faster. I can't give you guidance on how fast they should be because a) I'm not a coach and b) I don't know what your goals are. But you can take a look at the above pattern and think thru what might work for you.

If you are wondering about specific paces, check out the McMillan running calculator. Put in your goal race pace and go from there. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

I'm really happy with my progress. Joanna is kicking my ass and its working.

Jen

Last edited by: JenSw: Mar 12, 13 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouraging words, everybody! I do have friends I work out with, especially my BF, but we all seem to be in the same boat lately, so it's very easy to avoid training. But I am going to make an effort to do small things at least. I do really want to race this season even if I have to table HIM plans for now. I do put a lot of pressure on myself in training, so I have to remember this is supposed to be fun.

I did go for a run tonight, I'm not sure how far as I left the Garmin at home on purpose. I was just starting to enjoy myself when I tripped over a crack in the sidewalk, did a yard sale, and skinned both hands and knees. So typical! I will try again tomorrow (and hopefully avoid more serious injury.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"shifting my eating to taking in 80% of my calories before 3:30 pm (ish) and only take in around 300 calories post evening workout."

I think I might need to do some of this shifting - though I'll likely put my cut off time as the time I normally leave work. It's just really hard to do, I seem to hate the appearance of being 'past' a goal and then coming back to it by adding the exercise.
Because with my job, there's always a slight slight chance my evening workout plans might get derailed. Ugh.
And since I start at 6am, there's no way I'm working out before work. Sorry. No.

Thanks for sharing. Just giving me ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your weekly structure!

I am definitely going to tone it down with my pace when I hit the fast stuff. I usually go into the fast workouts on fresh legs and I think I am cooking myself. My goals are shorter events - mostly sprint tris and the run leg is my weakest link. I've been putting the most effort into my run this winter but just logging EZ miles. Adding tempo work now - don't have a standalone 5k time yet but will do my first one at end of month and am looking forward to it!

Happy training all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leaving the Garmin at home is freeing. I try to do that a couple times a week, during my easy runs. At least once a week I let myself goof off a bit and take pictures, dial down the mental focus.

For everyone, running the same speed all week means you will always run that same speed. Ripping up the road whenever you do speedwork is probably going to cause injury. Be sure you are mixing things up. That's as close as I can come to specifics because I hire someone to think that stuff thru for me. I'm a lazy runner.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a Garmin? :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a device my coach makes me wear every time I run. When I don't wear it, it is a rebellion.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent. I fully support rebellion.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She now has me working on cadence so I have to wear it :-(

I'll put it in my pocket so I don't have to look at the damn thing.

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next