Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's your deal? [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 27 (and a half). I grew up playing soccer, swam as a kid but quit when I was in 8th grade, and did a billion other things as a kid: gymnastics for a year, basketball for two, jr lifeguards in the summer, taekwando/karate, and running in the elementary 'track' meets and stuff.

By high school, I just ran track and cross-country and played club soccer. I couldn't ride a bike to save my life. But, after trying a whole lot of other sports in college, I joined the triathlon team my junior year. Bought a bike for $600 off a friend and practiced riding it around the park.

That was seven years ago, more or less. Now, I'm mostly running again. Triathlon involves so much stuff.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play on this thread.

I'm 20. Still quite new to the sport of triathlon. I grew up in a small alpine town where if you didn't do a sport (downhill skiing, xc skiing, mtn biking, hiking, hockey, etc.) you were practically shunned by the community. I wasn't a competitive person and my parents never put me into any sport, it was more of my own choosing. I fooled around with both downhill skiing, xc skiing and dance, but never found a passion to be competitive in any of those sports. I've always loved skiing, but GS racing wasn't my thing (I like the out of bounds powder runs). I entered an elementary school xc meet in grade 4 and won it. With that I was hooked onto running. I just had to do it- luckily my dad ran and was nice enough to let me tag along with him everyday. Throughout high school I ran xc and was on the local track team. Unfortunately, growing up in such a small community, away from any large city center, meant for little real competition and it was pretty easy to be good at what you did when you were the only person doing it. I started road racing, focussing mainly on 10km races.

The year that I graduated HS I signed up for my first triathlon (happened to be on my grad weekend!). Due to increasing injuries and no balance from only running- I figured that mixing things up could make me a stronger runner and prevent injury. Also, I had some very influential people that helped me catch the triathlon bug. The first race was an olympic distance, and I was so stoked to do it... I think I was smiling the entire time (minus that I gave myself a stress fracture in the process).
I moved away to uni and with that was on the varsity xc/track team. Since I was stuck in a walking cast, it was a red shirt year. I wanted to keep on training for triathlon due to the success of my first race and the awesome time I had preparing and doing it. I found a coach and began to secretly train for tris while still putting in the track/xc training (not recommended!). Ultimately, I decided that I had a better future in triathlon over varsity running and I made the move and university switch over to a much better place. I think that has been the best decision of my life!

I can't picture myself not doing sport. It's a part of who I am as a person... I love spending my day at the pool, on my bike or running on the trails. I want to see exactly how far I can push my body and my limits! I've been focussed on the olympic distance with bigger goals of moving up to the 70.3 and hopefully one day racing competitively. Now that I am old enough and have a good base of training behind me, I am going to attempt my first half-iron sometime this September to test out the distance. I am beyond excited!

And that's my deal! Sorry for the huge lengthy post!

http://evagifford.blogspot.ca/ --> my ramblings
Quote Reply
Re: What's your deal? [StephB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StephB wrote:

I was totally in awe and jealous of the rest of you women.
...This year will be my 4th IM.

I love reading these :)

I am one of those women who is now in awe and jealous of you and all of your IMs!

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: What's your deal? [mountain.runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun to keep seeing these go up. It really is cool to see everyone's "deal".

Mountain.runner--I think you're our youngest so far. I would have loved to have discover tris at your age. I would love to hear more from you here on the Womens as you go through your journey.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun thread. I'm 53. Here's the chronology of my sporting life:

1972 - 1979 - track, track and more track thrown in with cross country running - 800 m - pr was 2:10 and 1500 m - pr was 4:55 - I remember being able to run 400m in 1 minute flat (boy,those were the days!)
1980 - broken bones in my feet led me to cycling with my brother on a 2 week cycling trip. Fell in love with biking. I went on to do more tours sporadically over the years.
1982 ish and on - 5kms, 10kms, 1/2 marathons and 4 marathons (1991, 1995, 2000, 2003)
1995 - discovered the sport of triathlon by doing a relay with friends (me - run leg)
1997 - learned how to swim
1998 - 2 Olympic distance triathlons
1999 until present - around 25 tri's - sprints and Oly's
2010 - did first 1/2 IM at age 50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently 44, but I will be 45 in May.
Started triathlons 7 years ago as my husband encouraged me and he was doing them. Prior to that ran a bit here and there but never very competitive, and in highschool did track, again pretty pitiful, and Jr high did soft ball and basket ball.
Have done sprint's, Olympic and a few 70.3 races. Occasionally will get 2nd or 3rd in my age group but have to be small local affairs otherwise MOP. Continue to improve little by little and I hired a coach a little over a year ago as I plan to do Challenge Penticton this year (first full distance race).
I like doing triathlons as a way to stay in shape and blow off stress from work. I'll keep at it until I can't anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently I'm 48 but I maintain age is a state of mind. I'm not thinking anywhere near that old.

I have a theory that people are either ball sport/team sport people (fast twitchers) or non ball sport/non team sport people (slowtwitchers). Guess what they play all the way through school? I have the hand/eye/ball co-ordination of a one legged sloth, so school sports weren't a big part of my life. The local pool was bloody freezing so I failed to learn to swim as well. I did ballet until I hit puberty and had a half hearted shot at softball and that was about it for my junior years.

Sometime after I left home and embarked on my own life I started running for fitness. Often at weird times. At one stage I'd quite often come home from a nightclub in the early hours of the morning, put my running shoes on and go for a run. I think that was during my gothic stage. I also had a bad period of gyms and aerobics, unfortunately round about the Olivia Newton John years. I won't begin to describe what my wardrobe contained, but I regret Step Rebock to this day and the untold damage it did to my knees.

After the demise of a relatively significant relationship in my late 20's I felt the need to symbolically get some control of my life and decided to learn to swim. I went off to the local pool with a kickboard and floundered up and down until I could do it unassisted. Round about the same time I bought a second hand bike that was miles to big for me which was replaced shortly afterwards by one that was roughly the right size. I must have wandered into the local bike shop looking for bits or advice and met one of my lifetime buddies who was working there - an ex elite athlete who's taught me just about everything I know about bikes and riding. I started riding with the shop bunch on my 'plumbers bike' as it was afffectionately known and learnt how to ride on my ringer most of the time just trying to keep up with the boys.

I kind of drifted into triathlon in the early '90s, probably attracted by the half naked bodies and fluoro bling that was around at the time. Being an appallingly bad swimmer, the swim always scared the crapper out of me, particularly when the alpha males in the wave behind swam over the top of me but there was something addictive about the whole thing. In truth, it was a mental game for me - triathlon was about proving to myself that I could control my life and my fears to an infinite degree and I had some good ones hiding in the dark corners of my psyche.

After a couple of seasons of sprints and olys, life changed, I met a bloke, got into a serious relationship and somehow triathlon fell by the wayside, probably because there was some subtle pressure for me not to spend so much time training by myself. Did a bit of bike riding and kept running for fitness & sanity and almost completely stopped swimming with some relief. Did a half marathon in there somewhere. Had a kid, kept running, rode a bit when I could and one day decided the relationship was done after 15 years. I remember distinctly being out on my bike one day and realising in a lightbulb moment that I enjoyed it so much because it was one place I felt truly safe in an emotional sense. It was just me and the bike and no-one could touch me when I was moving.

Needless to say, I needed another physical challenge to bolster my sense of control as I charted life as a single parent and I started riding a lot more with my sister and BiL, getting into endurance rides, mountains and more mountains. I also started to XC ski. I began to realise that I was built for endurance sport and I liked the things it taught me like patience and tuning in to how my body coped with endurance events. I reconnected with my bike riding buddies, started getting the miles in and identified as a 'roadie' with the required amount of disdain for underdressed triathletes. However, a small voice in my brain kept reminding me that I had unfinished business with triathlon and I had another fear that I needed to conquer - swimming. Fortuitously I made friends with a hard core triathlete a few years back and I couldn't help myself - I got back in the pool. Not with any agenda, other than it was shitting me that I was still such a crap swimmer.

Then IM came to town last year and the deal was as good as done. It was the only event that I wasn't sure I could do so it was the one that had the most attraction. Initially I was thinking to revive my triathlon experience with a half and then realised there wasn't one on offer - so I signed up for the full. First triathlon in over 15 years and as I'd always said I'd never do a marathon, I hadn't done one of those either. (I still maintain I haven't). The week before signing up I quietly rolled up the pool and got in to see if I could swim 3km - I could, just. So I put my money down. Boy, did I enjoy the whole journey. Loved the training and working out the program, loved the hours out there by myself, loved the way my body gained strength & shape and loved the way it just builds and builds. Joined the local masters swim club and found one of the best coaches around. This time though, there was a difference. In the intervening years I'd done the hard yards in psychotherapy and faced the mind control demons so I wasn't doing it anymore to prove I had cast iron control - I was free to do it this time purely to see if I could.

Running down that finish chute last year was an amazing finish to one of the best days out I've had in a long time - I enjoyed every minute of it, particularly once I was out of the water!. I'm back again this year in a couple of weeks and looking forward to seeing what this year brings. I 'finished' my business with triathlon last year so now I can enjoy wherever it takes me. For the moment it's the annual hometown race and that's enough, particularly as I'm eying off a XC ski marathon on the off season... :-) But who knows - my inner triathlete has been well and truly released and I hope she's going to stick around.

Quote Reply
Re: What's your deal? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
In truth, it was a mental game for me - triathlon was about proving to myself that I could control my life and my fears to an infinite degree and I had some good ones hiding in the dark corners of my psyche.

I remember distinctly being out on my bike one day and realising in a lightbulb moment that I enjoyed it so much because it was one place I felt truly safe in an emotional sense. It was just me and the bike and no-one could touch me when I was moving.

It was the only event that I wasn't sure I could do so it was the one that had the most attraction.

I 'finished' my business with triathlon last year so now I can enjoy wherever it takes me.

I believe you just described me in a nutshell. Or at least the things that drive me in sport. It's my wubby...my safety blanket...the thing I know I can go back to & be good at. The thing where people can/will leave me alone, where I can be by myself & push away the demons (or at least shut them the hell up for just a little while). I'm continually asking what I have left to prove & who in God's name I keep needing to prove it to - I've done 30 triathlons, marathons, iron-distance, various distance swims....and still I keep looking for more. I used to think it was to see if I could, to prove to myself that I can....but I still haven't quite figured out if that's it or not. I thoroughly enjoy both the joy & the pain that each event brings - usually have at least one teary moment in every run/marathon swim where I get all mushy about the gratitude & fortitude to be able to do these things....but what keeps me/us looking for the next challenge? Is there ever a time where we stop & say, "Hot Damn, that's awesome...and that's enough."

Just musings on a Friday morning...your post hit home.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done pretty much everything. Played soccer and did gymnastics as a kid, swam competitively at a high level until I was 14 - shoulder injuries and crappy coach was the end of that. In JHS I played volleyball and soccer and did track (short distance) and in high school I played soccer and rugby and did track (short distance) all while teaching swimming and life-guarding. When I went to uni I played rugby at the provincial for a bit and then kind of gave up due to work - was told I had to quit due to life-guarding which is fair enough I guess. Did weights every now and then and swam for work when teaching my higher level students. Did play squash every now and then - the only racket sport I can handle. When I hit 23 or so I started to hit the gym seriously - weights, body combat, step, pump, did a bit of kickboxing for a few years... I like to try new things I guess. I was a VERY active kid and that's sort of carried over into adulthood. If I am not doing something, I mentally start to go in a dark place which is never good for me or anyone around me.

I'm 36 (today!) and just started tri three years ago. I missed swimming and started doing spin classes and loved them. Bought a bike and started to run. I have to admit, I HATE running. Hate it. I love sprinting but hate distance. Did a half last year to prove to myself that I could do it. Knee injuries this past fall have me so far behind its frustrating. That being said, I feel like a cow if I don't get out for a run these days. Tri was more of a way to deal with my issues of getting married and moving to a city I detest - his job and I am pretty much stuck here until he retires. I am surrounded by princesses who do fack all in terms of work or sports and I wanted to distance myself from them, meet others like-minded and do something that was "me" time and that would take up lots of time as my holidays are long. So far, so good. I enjoy training alone and have found tri to be great for sorting things out in my head, staying active and keeping busy.

Evolution of women in sports? My dad wanted a boy. My dad got two girls. I'm the youngest so I guess I turned into the boy my dad wanted which is cool by me. I was always rough, big and stocky for my age. Fighting with the boys, playing soccer with them, hating anything "girlie" and I think that has carried over into adulthood and my attitude towards gender issues - be it sports, work, socializing... I really don't like the word "feminism" as I think it is tarred and feathered with all kinds of baggage. Prefer "humanist" myself because the better it is for "us", the better it is for "them" as well. Shame so many folks don't get that it isn't all about "us" in this struggle and when we're all given the same chances and opportunities, society will be a much better place for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'5 and 136 now.

Soccer from kindergarten to 6th grade (when I finally got sick of being bad).
Tennis from 6th grade through all of high school (varsity 3 years, but again, not very good).
Summer after high school, I got SUPER excited for college and wanted to look hot (seriously, the entire summer was owned by vanity) and I worked at a Curves fitness center and worked out 2-4 hours a day at a 24-Hour Fitness. Goal achieved at 118 lbs of solid muscle.
Got to college, over-ate and stopped exercising. My main activity was marching band, which took up a ton of time. When that season ended, I took the opportunity to check something off my life to-do list - I took up fencing.
3.5 years of heaven with fencing, resulting in a little pile of medals (zomg, a sport I don't suck at!). I even taught the college PE course for a few quarters and got to share my love.
2 years of hell... grad school in Stockton, CA. Weight hit an all time high and fitness hit an all time low. Cried a lot when a bf told me I looked like a Bottecelli model. Ow.
4 years of crazy consulting job - fit in gym workouts when I could, but because I had to fly everywhere at the drop of a hat, I didn't have a team or group. Managed to keep my weight around 138, though my body fat % was skyrocketing.
1 year with new consulting job and new amazing relationship. We get engaged, he takes up triathlon and I watch skeptically. Prolly should lose weight for wedding (am 144).
October 2012 "I can do that..." and I got on a treadmill for the first time in two years. Took a couple weeks of recovery before attempt #2.
December 2012 - new work client and I'm committed for a year. They have a gym. With lunchtime spin. Awesome. I start running 5k races.
January 2012 - my first 10k, was given a road bike by my step-mother-in-law-to-be (her husband got her one and she had no interest). A few scrapes ensue, but Oh MY I like going fast!
February 2012 - holy crap I ran a half marathon! AND somehow survived Tough Mudder the weekend after! No longer a lump. 136 lbs and 22% body fat. Down a jean size.
March 2012 - Biked a 16 mile loop, still doing spin 3x/week, running 2-ish times a week, and just had my first open-water swimming practice yesterday. Didn't drown. Yay!

April 20th will be my first sprint triathlon (Silicon Valley Sprint Triathlon). 1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike ride, 5k run. Goal: Finish not-last.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 34

Grew up swimming, diving and softball
Played a little water polo in college
Got overweight studying for medical boards in medical school
Got into triathlons in 2006. My Dad had done triathlons when I was younger. I was always a decent swimmer and I used running to lose the weight I gained in med school.
First IM in 2007. Second in 2011. Was obsessive about the sport from 2007-2009 but then residency started.
Now I'm focusing on running. Just not worth the time until I have a bit more time to spare. Maybe in a couple years I'll get more into it. Actually thinking of selling the tri bike for now.

I've never been much of a feminist. Maybe it's my age, but growing up I actually think my road has been easier as a woman in medicine. I've never felt discriminated against in sport or that I had less opportunities either.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: What's your deal? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been much of a feminist.

This drives me crazy!! I don't mean to target you specifically but everyone who say's they aren't a feminist, please read the definition. If you believe you deserve equal opportunities as men, you are a feminist.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminist

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Mar 18, 13 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: What's your deal? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I am just of the age that the pendulum swung too far the other way. I have been sought after at times in my career because I'm a woman rather than because of other important personal attributes. One of the jobs that I applied to this year said that there was one other person applying to MY job. Knowing they were hiring more than one position I asked what that meant. Well, they were specifically hiring a woman in one of the positions. I think that's crap. It was a huge turnoff for me to that position and played a role in my decision making process. If I am the best person for the job I should get the job. If there is a man more qualified he should get it.

Looking back in history I do see why this sort of activity was necessary. And also, my feelings and experience are a result of the success of women in the generation before mine. But in the life I have lived, I have seen not a hint of discrimination, and honestly a fair amount of the opposite. So no, I do not consider myself a feminist, I consider myself a humanist. Equal rights for all people.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: What's your deal? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then we will talk in circles about this because feminism is about equal opportunity and representation. I agree we have reached a point where removing affirmative action might not have an impact but you don't have to agree with AA to be a feminist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: What's your deal? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Then we will talk in circles about this because feminism is about equal opportunity and representation. I agree we have reached a point where removing affirmative action might not have an impact but you don't have to agree with AA to be a feminist.

Perhaps the poster feels how I do. Is isn't all about "us" hence "humanist" and as I mentioned the label "feminist" carries a LOT of baggage. We can be "equal" to men but when will men ever be equal to us? We get a lot of "perks" because we are women while men get discriminated against for certain things that are our perks. The amount of crap men cop for being stay at home dads, taking a day off to look after the kids, being able to be daycare workers, nurses, dental assistants... without everyone thinking they are gay or not smart enough to do a "real" jobs... Great, let's "fight" for the women but what about the men? Don't they deserve to be equal as well?
Quote Reply

Prev Next