Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [greasyjeep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interested to see how you get on.
I did the front brake, but then moved house so all my tri gear is stored whilst I renovate the house... hopefully do thiss over winter...
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [paulthewitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Working model on the bike - waiting on a few little bits (serrated lock washers to hold the 3 spacers in place and thinking about painting it black to eliminate some of the bling factor) before I mount it permanently and get it on the road.
I used 1/4 inch aluminum for the mount and the brake spacer and 3/4 inch aluminum for the spacers that wrap around the brake arm pillars.

won't get a test run in until later this week when i get new bars installed (old ones were beat to hell).

Mount and spacers weight 68g
No idea what weight difference is between original brakes vs the RT8s.

Update once I get a test ride in with how they perform.

Note - I am no machinist hence the drought finish. I basically used hand drill, Dremel tool, 4 1/2 inch grinder, and jig saw and have a total of 4, maybe 5 hours, in to the project and less than $30 in materials (consumed 1 Dremel grinder head - may try to clean it out with wire brush, 1 cut-off wheel and still have a lot of life on the 80 grit flapper wheel used to smooth stuff out).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good
Please do let us know how it performs!

Did you have to take the cover off the bottom of the frame for the calliper bolt to mount through? (I can't see but looks snug to the bottom bracket frame)

Thanks
Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks nice! Would love to get rid of the stick brake and add an omega or similar. But not sure if that’s possible even with an adapter.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - the cover is off, the brake nut fits right in the area where the little bolt goes on the cover (the little arc). With the spacer I have I can probably put the cover back on if I can countersink the brake nut thingy and get that cover back on, but that will have to wait until Mon or Tues night.

I don't have the equipment to weld aluminum, may take it to a machine shop to have them weld the the spacers for the posts, esp if they move at all or create creaks/squeaks when on the road, another future item before i spray it black.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think any center bolt mount would would work with the adapter ugojordy came up with or this u bracket you guys thought would work. I may still end up with the same system ugo developed if this doesn't seem to work, I just figured to start, this was less invasive and the weight added wasn't going to kill me.
I am going to try to gather up the random bits from the old brakes and weigh them to see if I am adding any weight even with the big mount. The Maguras are super light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Countersunk the brake nut
Reinstalled the little dust cover plate and it all fit nicely

I can not say enough how big of a PITA resizing the lines was.
when the guy on the youtube videos says to be careful about keeping the fluid from spraying everywhere, he is not kidding. If it was red, it would have looked like a slasher murder in my garage at 1AM.

And Ugo was not kidding when he talked about running the lines being the hardest part, entire project took 6-7 hours, at least half of that was spent trying to route the front and rear lines, and I used guide wires to pull stuff through.

Next time I would probably just use dry lines to start.

I did take a quick trip around the neighborhood
the brakes are worth twice every bit of effort put into this project - thanks for the idea Ugo
Get my fitting next Tuesday and looking forward to many many years of service with little tinkering/tuning required on the brakes or eTap drivetrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work man! Very much similar to what I did with the P4.
The Magura braking is 2nd to none and gives such piece of mind to stop the bike with only a single finger.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it really is - I was shocked - I went and hit a local hill that always gave me a hard time, right at the bottom there is a raised RR crossing, and I had no issue coming to controlled easy slow down to make the crossing nice and easy.
It is leaps and bounds ahead of my CaaD10 with Ultegra rim brakes and on par with my CaaD12 with DA HydDisc.

Hoping to get out tonight or tomorrow night to give it a real workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look awesome
How did you countersink the bolt so the dust cover can go back on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Total shade tree - just eyeballed the bit size the best I can and repeatedly whacked the plate for a split second, stuck the nut in there and did it again until i was happy with the depth.
Aluminum is nice and soft so it took all of 3-4 mins. Hardest part is making sure I was drilling on the correct side. LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also - just my unprofessional opinion, not sure the dust cover does much. The hole right below it will still let dust in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
I'm looking forward to decent brakes front and rear... I am in the UK and our races are rarely flat. The front upgrade has been awesome. At the moment the rear sucks and often starts rubbing after being used... can't wait to do this upgrade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st "extended" road test.
took it for 10 miles today
Wife went away for weekend so literally just road the same 2 mile loop here until i got bored because I am a little chicken to get to far away on maiden voyage and have to walk home multiple miles.
Bike did great. Nothing came loose. Brakes were very nice, great control, secure feel in the hands, and easy to modulate.
Bike overall is fast. First tri bike and it is much faster than either of my road bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi..I saw a post on the rear break from Alex on his P4, and asked him if he knew or could do for a Felt DA..and he sent me your post. I too would like to do that and install a Tri rig brake. Is your adapter something that you would be willing to make for others? I didn't see that was an option or even asked ? you can PM me if you like
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [mpeardon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wouldn't want to make it for anyone else
I am not a machine shop or any type of mechanic, just someone willing to fight with my own bike.
I would say just about any machine shop or real fabricator out there could make for you though.
I just don't feel comfortable making anything for anyone other than myself, never mind the safety aspects of modifying the braking system, my fit and finish are not perfect or really even "kinda" clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was up in the air between the P4 and a DA 6 months ago I ended up buying the da because of how bad the rear brake is on the P4 but now they have that resolved and I'm not sure what to do. I wonder if we could come up with a bracket similar to what this guy did but Run tririg brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure either. I ended up buying a new break through felt and the adjustments from race wheels to training wheel is becoming a pain. I think if we bribe someone and give them the measurements that greasy came up with, maybe we could get one made?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a machine shop that I have had make other custom parts for me for my da but the guy is super slow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next