Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength training and running
Quote | Reply
My plan for the next year is to focus on running. I was getting a lot of random typical hip and knee aches and pains per usual. A few weeks ago my boyfriend got me into some circuit training and I feel like the strengthening has helped with my running quite a bit. 2 weeks with no pain running while in a phase of increasing distance and intensity. Anyone else have experience with strength exercises and injury prevention? I've been doing 4 sessions per week, 2 different sessions

One- Squats with weights, pull ups (on the assisted weight machine), push ups, sit ups, dips
Two: Lunges, dead lifts, bicep curls, sit-ups, shoulder press, bench press

For those of you who do circuit training as part of your routine, what exercises do you do?

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training and running [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do many that are similar to what you have listed below with the addition of (some dependent on training phase)
- balance skills
- mountain climbers
- heel taps
- hamstring curls with a swiss ball
- bridges (with ball or one leg)
- monster walk with bands
- woodchops
- plyo work - jumping squats, box jumps, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 4 days/week of core/strength work - ~20mins/day before work, with 4 different routines. I always do a "circles" warmup first - 8 circles in each direction for wrists, neck, arms (from elbow, then from shoulder), shoulders (shrug/circle fwd & back), torso (move upper body in circle around hips), hips (circle hips around stable shoulders).

Monday: bodyweight stuff mostly, plus some kettlebell swings. Steam engine, speed skater, mountain climber, fire hydrant w/rear extension, forward leg raise, hip internal rotation, pushups.

Tuesday: lift heavy. Squats, deadlifts, box step-ups/lunges/split squats, adductor lifts, 90* leg raise (lying on side: targets gluteus medius), leg extensions, planks.

Wednesday: upper body day. 1-arm kettlebell swings, kettlebell snatches, bent-over row, overhead press (or clean & press), Y/T/W/L on a swiss ball, forward & lateral arm raises, pushups, rotator cuff, trunk rotation, lat pulldowns and internal shoulder rotation with a band. Also: side steps w/band (gluteus medius again), hip internal rotation.

Thursday: core stuff with swiss ball. Pot stirs, rollouts, back extensions, bridges, hamstring curls, Russian twists, overhead pass. Also clamshell (gluteus medius again) and adductor lift.

Targeting the gluteus medius and adductors/internal hip rotator muscles daily has cleared up a lot of niggles I used to get once running mileage really ramped up. During taper weeks I tend to do bodyweight work only and add in foam rolling and yoga for mobility.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I also do a lot of glute stuff.
Bridges
old fashioned leg raises
donkey kicks
abduction machine
hip hikes

I have a set of shoulder exercises too; those are mostly rotator cuff, trapezius, and rhomboid exercises.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jodi,

Reading "my boyfriend" gave me a big smile. Happy to hear that things seem to be going so well:)

Your mentioning of hip and knee pains makes me wonder about your Q angle. As you know, this is more exaggerated, generally, in women than in men and it can create a corresponding set of issues. Women, again, in general, tend to have much stronger abducters than adducters, and that misalignment can contribute to a host of things. After blowing out my ACL and MCL in soccer when I was 17, I went through a really extensive PT rehab program because if I had reconstructive surgery I would have had to delay entrance to the military for a year. I did a lot of work trying to strengthen my legs in a balanced way, and with focused work on hip strengthening, quad sets, isolation work and adductor exercises I was able to completely rehab (in 7 months) without surgery (that is a more common protocol now, though it was almost unheard of for a complete ACL tear in 1991).

As I have gotten older, I have noticed that there is a correlation between me falling off my strength work and knee, hip and low back issues. I also have found that the tightness associated with running and biking can cause that stuff even if I'm doing focused Q angle issue strength work. Yoga and pilates are both great at helping me prioritize flexibility and checking-in/listening to my body. With your background in anatomy and physiology, I'm sure you do this all of the time:) Anyway, just something to keep in mind as you add strength work, as I see that some of the exercises you've added--squats with weights, lunges and dead lifts all have the potential to exacerbate Q-angle issues, if you have any.

I lift or do BW exercises 4x/week on average, out of season, 3x/week in season. I do all of the exercises that you mentioned you do in your curcuits, minus the shoulder press and I do tend to add specific tricep work in addition to dips, usually tricep extension with rope or single arm rear row with a tri extension (the dips are really the best though). I do some "sit-ups," but my ab work tends to vary a lot. I also do the squats and lunges a variety of ways-- single leg, stability, with plyo, kicks, etc. I strongly recommend trying stuff that can be done single leg with a single leg, as this really works stability and helps find imbalances and correct them. I just have one curcuit and do everything, though not always in the same order, or total number of sets, and I may drop squats if I do a lot of different lunges or vice versa. I try to alternate upper and lower body work and minimize rest between exercises, as I like to keep it efficient. I can usually get through my circuit in <25 minutes. I also try do do 30-60 minutes of yoga or pilates or both 2-3x/week. Sometimes this just gets added onto the curcuit or the end of a run or bike, and not as its own deal, and then I tend to just do the things I think my body needs based on feel.

Apologies for the novel ;)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jodi,

I'm just getting back into running and found that I have also had some hip and knee issues after running. I started researching and found that I may have been doing my stretches all wrong. I came across a website that provides many running tips videos, to include stretching to help prevent hip and knee injuries. I particularly found this video useful:
http://bobbymcgee.com/...-tips-joint-stretch/

I didn't believe it would work at first, but after doing the suggested stretches consistently, my knees starting hurting LESS and LESS!

I hope this helps to add to your strength training routine :) Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training and running [rungirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's OK for you to let us know that this is your website. We prefer it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training and running [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not my website. Just found it interesting and wanted to share. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training and running [rungirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, based on your name change it looked like it was. My apologies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good lord I wish I had more time for strength training. I sure could use it. Y'all inspire me.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move sideways and twist when you're in the gym. It will benefit your running.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried a lot of things, but the exercises that "feel" most effective (unquantifiably) are:

can be done at home:
squats (even just air squats with no weight)
lunges (with dumbbells in each hand, or no weight)
BURPEES (holy shit they kick my ASS) <-------- if you only do ONE exercise, do these!
bridges (esp. one legged)
planks- front, side, back

at the gym:
leg press machine
back raises bent over (and lift up) one of the lower body holder things, carrying a weight plate
assisted pull-ups

strength/core/gym training is so worth it!
Quote Reply