Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Disk
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a Zipp Disk that when you move it around sounds like loose particles moving around in the disk? Is this from when they cut out the area for the valve stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk [Bri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I had a 2000 model Zipp disc that sounded similar to the one that you describe. I'm not sure why as the Zipp is a 'solid' honeycomb disc. If the carbon rim is made like others--double wall--then it's possible that there are some 'floaties' in the rim.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds unusual to me. I would phone Zipp and get a return authorization and have them inspect it. AS unlikely as this may be, it may be failing from the inside due to an impact. Realistically, it's pretty unlikely, but this is the off-season and you have time to address these issues now. Do you really want to be a 38 m.p.h. descent on a rear wheel you can't be 100% sure of?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone have a Zipp Disk that when you move it around sounds like loose particles moving around in the disk? Is this from when they cut out the area for the valve stem?
I just received mine and I hear the exact same thing. I called Zipp about it and they don't seem to think it will be a problem. Probabaly little bits of the honeycomb...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had two different Zipp discs including the newest one and I hear that same thing on both of them. I have assumed it was harmless. I figured it was small particles rattling around in a small cavity in the wheel.

Let us all know if we should think otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing with my HED deep rear. I took duct tape rolled it up into a pencil like shape and stuck it in the valve holes at the rim and at the top. Spun the wheel slowly and presto little carbon flakes stuck to the tape. 30 minutes of this entertaining exercise and my wheel is rattle free.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disk [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had the same thing with my HED deep rear. I took duct tape rolled it up into a pencil like shape and stuck it in the valve holes at the rim and at the top. Spun the wheel slowly and presto little carbon flakes stuck to the tape. 30 minutes of this entertaining exercise and my wheel is rattle free.

Man, you must get really really bored....

My 909 has the rattle too though...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply