Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post workout insomnia? Advice?
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies! I just joined the group, poked around some, but didn't really find the answer I was looking for so I thought I would ask. I am 35, 5'9.5", ~150#. I have been training with a cycling coach for about 6 months. Prior to that I was finishing grad school and not really training seriously for anything, but did some recreational riding and running.

So to my question....I have noticed the last few intense training rides that afterward, I can't sleep at night. I go to sleep fine, but wake up at around 1 am. I toss and turn, can't regulate my temperature (despite the house temp being in the mid 60s), my heart rate feels high. It's strange because it really doesn't seem to happen on my shorter intense rides during the week, it's mainly the long ones. Yesterday I rode 3.5 hours with 20 minute intervals, some endurance work, and some VO2 max work as well and then last night I didn't sleep a wink past 1 am until about 5 am. Any thoughts? I emailed my coach to get some advice, but he's a man! I wanted to see if any other girls out there had similar experiences. I have a feeling there is a hormonal component to this.

Thanks in advance! Ash
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout insomnia? Advice? [AshLes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome :) Good question.

What time of the day are you doing the workouts on the days when you can't sleep?
What is your HR in the am? Could you be overtrained?
Are you hydrated? Are you hungry?

I have general insomnia issues anyway, so I'll be curious to hear what others say, but I have found that if I train too late in the day I can have problems both getting to sleep and staying asleep. If I have more than 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks, that also messes up my sleep.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Last edited by: luckytotri: Jan 28, 13 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout insomnia? Advice? [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I train at varying times during the day, yesterday finished at about 4pm. I mainly base that on what the weather and temps look like this time of year. I haven't checked my HR in the morning. That's a good idea. I will try that. I do think I am hydrated, but I thought last night that I could be hungry, so maybe that's part of it. I did have a couple of drinks last night (beer), so maybe I should try cutting that out. I am not sure about over training, although I think that's a distinct possibility. I will see what my coach says about that.

I really never have insomnia in any other setting and I LOVE my sleep which is why this is kind of bothering me. Thanks for the response. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so based on what you said, here's what I would try:

1) Weather permitting, bump your big workouts to the a.m. if possible.
2) Cut back on the alcohol on those days.
3) Make sure you've had enough calories and water during the workout, immediately post workout and a few hours before bed. You don't have to go overboard here, just pay attention to your nutrition.
4) Try to establish what your normal resting HR is, and check in if you're having sleep troubles to make sure you're HR isn't elevated/you're not overtrained.
5) Make sure you're not taking in any stimulants late in the day--coffee, caffeinated tea, dark chocolate, etc. Though peak caffeine response is usually the first hour or two after consumption, you could still be jazzed up to 12 hours post. You probably have a pretty good handle on that though, if you're a coffee drinker.

I'll be curious to hear what your coach says, if you don't mind sharing that info.

Good luck :)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout insomnia? Advice? [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I definitely need to make some changes. Here is what my coach said....

"Actually I do know quite a bit about it. That's your nervous system sending a shock through your adrenal glands.
It can be from not having enough calories or doing too many hard workouts and not being fully recovered.

First thing to do is to make sure you're recovery techniques are good.
1. Post workout recovery drink no more than 10 minutes after completion. Drink more after long hard workouts. Don't be shy at this time with calories. Your body won't hold on to these calories as fat.
2. Foam rolling and stretching more to calm down the muscles and nerves since they have been contracting hard for so long.
3. Post exercise meal with extra protein to help repair muscle damage. About 500 calories no more than one hour after long hard workouts. Again adjust calories according to length and intensity of workout.

From here you should snack and keep yourself from feeling "hungry" as that feeling will keep your nervous system active then in the middle of the night your brain sends a signal to your adrenal glands because it thinks you're starving and you get a jolt if adrenaline (fight or flight).
Hope that makes sense. Don't let this continue for long it will have negative affect after a while".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffer from this as well - even without late evening training - and I've learned that tossing and turning makes it worse. I get up and go and read. It usually always help in making me sleepy but on the rare chance it doesn't, at least I've done something with the time and didn't piss off my husband with my tossing, turning and calculating that if I fall asleep RIGHT NOW I could get X hours sleep.

Ditto on cutting out anything food related - and for me, food colouring. Some people swear by hot bathes before bed - they just makes me cold but it might work for you. I also wouldn't try and "make up" sleep. When it's gone, it's gone. Sucks though as I hate the feeling of knowing you are going to be tired and cranky the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with your coach that you could maybe be low on caloric intake. I had a protein deficiency that was caused by over training and not eating enough for recovery. A blood test can determine if you are protein deficient. The main symptom I had for this condition was insomnia. Once I increased my food intake, I gained weight (which was a good thing at the time) and started to sleep again (properly).

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a personal trainer and I also work with many sports doctors and coaches. The first sign of over training is when you start to wake up between 1-3am. It's possible your body is not recovering from your workouts.
Drinking alcohol or poor diet can make this worse.
Protein and Amino Acids can increase recovery time.
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout insomnia? Advice? [octrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The first sign of over training is when you start to wake up between 1-3am."

you coach people in their 50s? we all wake up between 1 and 3am. you coach people who are self employed?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout insomnia? Advice? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its just a "sign" not a diagnosis. Just something to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my experience, the cure offering the greatest efficacy for waking up at 2am is a kindle. if i took a day off for every day i woke up at 2am i would rarely take a day on ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Its just a "sign" not a diagnosis. Just something to consider.

Do you have any peer-reviewed articles to support this? I'm intrigued.

To the OP - I also have trouble sleeping after long workouts sometimes too and I do them early AM

To Slowman - OMG I didn't know you visit Womens!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Post workout insomnia? Advice? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Do you have any peer-reviewed articles to support this? I'm intrigued.

http://www.nature.com/...full/icb200070a.html

This article is mostly about Over-Training Syndrome and surpassing super-compensation in training. There are a lot of articles that discuss symptoms of over-training, check out Google scholar or pro-quest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiya -- Have definitely been there and know many others as well . . . think about taking a cold shower (for as long as you can stand) after your workout, or if there's a not-too-hot pool at your gym, swim for half an hour. The shower won't be pleasant but it will cool down your core, which is crucial for a good night's sleep, and may help reduce achiness the next day. Also think about magnesium supplements, which work well for me. Good luck!

http://www.yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome! Thanks.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply