Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ironman post-pregnancy
Quote | Reply
I am contemplating sigining up for Ironman Wisonsin, it will be my first ironman. I am now 6 months pregnant, due at the end of December. I stopped training last month on advice of my doctor. Is it reasonable to think I will be in shape for an Ironman within 8 months of the birth? Any mom's out there who can comment?
Quote Reply
Re: ironman post-pregnancy [hbauld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a mom myself, but as a two time dad, let me ask are you going to breastfeed? Personally I hope so as it's much healthier than formula feeding. Even contemplating an IM with an eight month infant seems very unrealistic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what kind of shape you're in and how determined you are to get back at it after the baby comes, but I wouldn't do it if I were you. I've had 2 children and didn't start working out again until at least 6 months after. I was breastfeeding, though, so perhaps you'd be ready sooner if you're not. You're going to have to give yourself at least 6 - 8 weeks recovery assuming you don't have any complications (a c-section will mean a much longer recovery). That means that you won't start training until March at the earliest. I would say that's the bare minimum you'd need before your body is ready for real training.

On top of that, you're not going to be getting great sleep in the first 6 months. Most babies are up through the night, multiple times. You may end up with 9 hours of sleep through a 24 hour period, but no more than 4 hours at any one time. That really messes up your head. I was in a constant fog for the first 2 to 3 months because of messed up sleep schedules. When the baby sleeps, you're going to want to sleep, not get on your bike for a 2 hour ride.

Lastly, I would suggest that you enjoy your baby while you have the chance. Having the stress of training on top of all the other stresses during the first year is not a good idea. The infant stage doesn't last long. Enjoy your baby, do a couple of sprints next year and think about an Ironman in the years to come.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd disagree with the previous posters.

My good friend recently completed her first Ironman at CdA 9 months after having her first child (it's her baby's B-day today actually). Since she had no complications, she was back working out less than 4 weeks after giving birth and had no problem preparing for Ironman in 7 months.

She still had plenty of time with her child...Dad's are able to watch children as well. Children sleep. And breast milk can be pumped. In short, you aren't doing anything bad for your baby. Actually, keeping yourself sane and motivated is probably pretty healthy for you, your husband, and your child.

Wisconsin is a great race. Have fun.

P.S. I know a number of women who have done marathons, ultras, or Ironman shortly after having their second/third children.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll jump in at the risk of being called a misanthropic redneck. My advice, as a 3-time dad, is not to do it. Spend the time getting to know your baby instead. See those first steps, hear those first words, be there when he/she cries. All too soon, that baby will be grown up, and you will wonder why you didn't get to spend more time together. I traveled extensively and went to night school when my kids were young. In the last 10-12 years, I have scaled down my career aspirations and tried to spend more time with the kids, only hoping it is not too little, too late. You are young, and you have lots of years left to do tris.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman post-pregnancy [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please Note: Puskas, that good friend of ours was also not working during that IM training time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like many others here, I'm not a mom, but I am a two-time dad and husband to a triathlete wife. We just welcomed our second daughter 8 months ago - and I'm sure my wife would tell you to wait. Although she was able to race many times this year, she was not satisfied with her results and she feels that only now, her body has returned enough to sustain consistant training.

On top of that, she works - which puts a big limit on available time (and sleep)

Perhaps you're younger, and you dont have to work. In which case you might recover more quickly, and have more time to sleep/train.

But either way, its a pretty big gamble - there are still too many unknowns to make that kind of comitment. I'd wait till the following year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I really hope that you are not serious. I have done 12 IMs and I HAD to take off IM racing the year each of our 3 children were born, and I am male. No, not a freak of nature - I did not give birth; but I did give time to our new family unit and to adjust to the changes. I can't even imagine the Mom doing it. Please, give all your attention to your family and your baby. It doesn't appear that IM racing is going away any time soon.

Best wishes and good luck. That first baby is absolutely the coolest thing that will ever happen to you in your life!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few points here:

1. This is HIGHLY individual. So much depends on your shape going into the birth, the issues attendant to the birth, and the post-partum issues, to name just a few.

2. Keep swimming and ride your wind trainer indoors while you are pregnant if you don't have any issues around your pregnancy. Two of my friends swam and biked up to the day before they delivered. One of them came to Master's, led our lane, went home, then went to the hospital to deliver! Why did your doctor tell you to stop training? Did she/he have a good medical reason? What's wrong with power walking?

3. If you keep training you have at least left the door open to do the race.

4. I believe that having ababy raises a woman's testosterone levels slightly which might result in an enhanced performance. Didn't our first woman Olympic marathoner have a baby a few months before she won the marathon? I'm too lazy to check....

5. After their last pregnancies, my two friends found that training on the wind trainer, in particular, while their babies slept, got them back into shape very quickly. One of the ladies went on to win the women's division in her first race after coming back.

6. You need to take care of YOURSELF as well as the kid(s). Your husband will just have to adjust. :), If training and racing are important elements in your life why should you quit simply because you are having a baby? Believe me, I've had three kids (as a father) and life goes on. You simply must manage your time better after the birth. Training 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there will keep you in the game for a few months until you get some time to train more.

7. After you have the baby, your outlook on training and racing may change. You may decide that you can't spend enough time with your kid. My wife would sit for hours while my daughter slept just watching her! :) Be prepared mentally to accept the change. You can come back to training a year or two later as long as you don't let your body go to pot! (Post delivery fat accumulation is an evolutionary advantage but I'm sure you will want to limit the advantage.)

Congrats and good luck.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't be there are actually guys commenting on this, dudes come on!!! We have not a clue.....
I do know a woman that did a sprint tri three weeks after giving birth to her second child. She had no regrets and rocked!!!! You go girl!!!! Don't listen to these idiot men that try to tell you how to run your life and how to feed your child. Unbelievabe!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman post-pregnancy [Buzzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the posts here have been great. Why can't a guy, especially a father who has been through the newborn phase, make a comment? I think there has been some great information passed on. The original poster asked a question and everyone has a right to answer. She obviously has to make up her own mind, but it's better to have more opinions than less.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: ironman post-pregnancy [Buzzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> I can't be there are actually guys commenting on this, dudes
> come on!!! We have not a clue.....
> I do know a woman that did a sprint tri three weeks after giving
> birth to her second child.

But wait... did _you_ do sprint tri three weeks after
giving birth? If not, how can you have a clue? If observation and
anecdotes are good for you, surely they are good for others as well.

To the original poster:

1. Please be careful post-pregnancy. Some women do remarkably well for
several weeks, and then hemorrhage at around one month. This can be
life-threatening, so it's not something to mess around with. At the
least, be wary of it.

2. Does anyone else think that cessation of training at six months
into the pregnancy is overdoing the caution a little (old-school
thinking)? Isn't it better to maintain reasonable training (don't
starve the baby in the womb!) with some taper (first drop running,
then riding) almost right to the end, and rest after the birth?

> Don't listen to these idiot men that try to tell you how to run your
> life and how to feed your child.

Some men speak this way from regrets: not so much their own, as their
wives'.

Just Another Idiot Man
Quote Reply
Re: ironman post-pregnancy [pedaller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that having to stop training at 6 months is a bit extreme, unless there are reasons that we don't know about. Many women will be able to work out right up to delivery. I was able to do my normal workouts (not tri training at the time) until my 8th month when my back started hurting too much. Then, I just walked. I believe labor and delivery are much easier when the mother has been exercising. You will also be able to recover faster.

I suggest you talk to your doctor again to find out exactly why you have to stop at 6 months. Perhaps they're just being overly cautious.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice for you is to sign up for the race and to postpone any decision about doing it or not until late spring.

After giving birth, ease back into training depending on how you feel. f you have an athletic backgound, you can do extremely well at Ironman with a 3 months block of training averaging 15 hours a week. Assuming you will not work (it will be more challenging if you do), this gives you plenty of time to recover for pregnancy and get fit again to tackle this harder three months period.

You can do most of your running with a baby jogger, and many young babies like the hot and humid air of swimming pools (perfect for naps). That leaves long bike rides, which are perfect time for your husband to spend quality time one on one with the baby.

Frankly, if you are organized and have good curent fitness, I see no problems.

Good luck !

Francois B.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first Ironman 9 months post-pregnancy. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. (amyhomsi@msn.com)

I worked out until the day before I gave birth. I rested for 2 weeks and was back on the bike. Didn't run for 6 weeks since the joints were a little loose, but had no problem. I acutally did the boston marathon 7 months post pregnancy without any problems.

I do agree with some of the previous posters that this is entirely an individual thing. Some people have a lot of issues after giving birth. As for "family time" I did 5am workouts when my baby was still asleep and rode the trainer a ton during her daytime naps. Saved the really long stuff for the weekends when dad was able to spend some "quality time" with baby. If you can be flexible with your schedule, then it's totally possible to train for an Ironman and raise a family.

I am actually more worried about triaining for my second ironman now that my baby has such a personality and is toddling around everywhere.

Good Luck!!!!

Ironmamma
Quote Reply