Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problems with Chlorine?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if others on the forum have problems with chlorine in pools. I don't think I'm allergic to it, but I feel like crap after my swims. I can barely keep my eyes open afterward from overwhelming exhaustion. Even if I swim in the early afternoon, it's bedtime for me a couple hours later. The next day I feel like I am suffering from a hangover. Whats up with this? Any answers?
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [loopfitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possible to be allergic to chlorine. Does the same thing happen when you swim in fresh or salt water? There are pools that don't use chlorine. There is bromine and reverse osmosis. But, you may not have those options where you live. Not many places have either one. But that would be the easiest way to do a research project on yourself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Mac's ideas above.

I'm not a physician, but here are some other questions that might lead to an understanding of your condition. I'm sure some of the other posters here can offer more help too.

Is this reaction a new one or have you had it for a long time?

If it's new when did it start?

Are you new to swimming? What is your swimming background?

Have you taken the Total Immersion swimming workshop?

Do you swim with a masters swim group?

What swimming workout are you doing?

How is the rest of your training going? Are you as tired after running or biking? What is your running or biking background?

Have you had an exam by a physician lately?

Do you get any sinus or nasal or skin irritation after swimming?

I hope this is of some help.

Richard
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Jan 15, 03 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use nose plugs(clips)? I know some who have found this to help
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. To answer a few of your questions to give you a better idea: yes I am fairly new to swimming competetively. I normally just swam in the past for recreation,ie: just hung around in the pool, but stopped because of the discomfort problems I mentioned. I don't get any major skin reactions to the chlorine other than some dry, irritated skin around my mouth. I am presently taking a class with a swim coach who teaches TI methods. I naturally have a problem with breathing through my nose in general. It seems that for some reason, one of my nostrils is always plugged. It's a wierd phenomena because the nostril that is plugged always changes meaning in the morning the right might not be operable and then in the evening it's the left. My physician doesn't seem to know why. He had me try a prescription nasal spray called Atrovent, but it did nothing to help so I've just always dealt with this problem. So in other words I'm always breathing through only one nostril, so to make up for this I breathe through my mouth quite a bit. When I bike or run it doesn't seem to be much of a problem probably because I've become so accustomed to breathing this way. In the pool, I always get a lot of water going in my nose. I've told this to my coach and he says I need to create pressure so the water won't go in, but it doesn't work for me. I obviously have a problem exhaling under water. I asked if I could use a nose plug but he doesn't recommend I use one because it won't teach me the proper breathing techniques I should be using. I'm thinking that taking in too much chlorinated water through my nose might be the cause of my problems. Can a person suffer "drug overdose" like symptoms from taking in too much chlorine? Are there tests I can take to see if I am allergic to chlorine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had exactly the same symptoms as you, really tired after a swim, major headache later on. I got a Speedo Competition nose clip and the problems are gone. It's a cheap and easy remedy.

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you swim indoors or out? Indoor pools have a lot more chemicals than outdoor pools. I sometimes get headaches or a "seasick" feeling swimming at my indoor YMCA pool. This doesn't happen when I swim in the SF Bay, even when it's choppy.

I find that if I eat something right before I swim, like half a Clif Bar or pb&j, I feel MUCH better during and after my swim -- less fatigued, more motivated, less seasick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever notice any skin irritation? Usually chlorine "allergies" manifest themselves first with a rash, almost like hives. Some people will also have difficulty with mucous membranes.

I would first - try another pool. It is possible that the chlorine is causing the problems, but more likely that it is just a dirty pool. Could even be a bacterial thing that you are particularly susceptible to.

And never, ever go in a hot tub that you do not clean yourself.

Woody (Certified Pool Operator)

Mike Hollywood
http://www.bostontriathlonteam.com
http://www.michaelhollywood.com
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [Woody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that the use of a nose plug is well worth the hassle if you are indeed alergic to the chlorine. Previously, it seemed that whenever I swam in an indoor pool, I would get what felt like a nasty nasal infection - one side of my nose would be severely plugged up and then the next day my nose would not stop running. I then started using a nose plug and these symptoms stopped. If you can't get to a different pool, as Woody suggested, try the nose plug one time to see if it helps.

Saulius
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being a competitive swimmer since I was 5, I've got some background with chlorine and other pool problems. Along with all my swimmin' buddies on the team.

You most likely aren't allergic to chlorine. Being a huge allergy and asthmatic person, my family, my doctors and myself have been studying all this stuff for a while. Instead of being allergic to the chlorine, your most likely allergic to something on the pool deck or in the air. It could be your local fungus city in the gutter or the old lady who had a not-so-bright-idea to wash her hair with a gallon of shampoo reacting with the thousands of chemicals and other substances having a good old time together in your local pool. =) hehe.

Anyways, for the nose problem, usually chlorine would eat away anything that's cloggin' the pipe. I would try the Nike Noseplugs too. They're small and simple. Big fat things never work, but that's just me. I don't think nose plugs will teach you improper breathing. If he gets your body position perfect, your breathing will be perfect. Other than that, flip turns. Make sure your exhaling out when you do those.

Just a reminder though about chlorine in pool. The only purpose that chemical is in the pool is to kill anything that comes in contact with it. They even used this chemical to kill people in the World Wars. So it really all comes down to is how much of a retaliation your body is going to put up with. From there, all you can do is ignore it.

(Wierd but scary fact about chlorine. Our team has practice for about 3.5 hours each day. After awhile, our (so far, just the guys) hair has turned almost white and our eyebrows went from either brown or black, to blond. Another person can basically pull the hair right out... I love swimming.) =)

Just my two cents. Happy swimmin'.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [bigd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give the nose plug a shot and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a nose clip all the time while swimming because of sinus and nasal irritation from the chlorine. I even wear one in triathlons (until someone knocks it off). I used to have to take decongestants for 1 or 2 days after swimming but since using the clip it's never been a problem. I think some people need to wear one because we all have anatomical differences and different sensitivities to chemicals etc. As to "breathing right", I'm not sure what that is, but I inhale through my mouth and exhale through my mouth and nose. It works for me.

For most swim sessions I take a water bottle and a bottle filled with Cytomax and pre-hydrate and hydrate during the work out. This seems to give me more energy during and after the workout. Within 40 minutes of finishing your swim session you might consider eating a snack or having a drink with about 25% protein and some fairly glycemic carbohydrates. This can help your recovery and recharge your muscle's glycogen reserves so you won't feel so fatigued.
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Jan 15, 03 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A few years ago I consulted a pharmacist about what I thought was a chlorine allergy. He told me that it was not an allergy but that chlorine was an irritant and advised me to wash out my sinuses with water after swimming. I tried this and also the Indian practice of neti dhauti (rinsing the sinuses with salt water) and these certainly helped, but I have found that the best solution is a nose clip. At first I disliked the nose clip intensely but gradually got used to it and sometimes I almost forget that I am wearing one.

Now I feeling ok, but having problem with my hair, it is super dry. I not use shampoo every day I have a silicone speedo swim cap for long hair that is pretty waterproof. I make two dutch braids like http://newaylook.com/best-two-dutch-braids-styles/ , one at each shoulder, tied off at both the top & bottom - i.e. make two low ponytails first, secure with elastic, then braid & secure the braid at the bottom. I completely saturate with water, before get in the pool. But it not helping so much

Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [Mike Hollywood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Hollywood wrote:
Ever notice any skin irritation? Usually chlorine "allergies" manifest themselves first with a rash, almost like hives. Some people will also have difficulty with mucous membranes.

I would first - try another pool. It is possible that the chlorine is causing the problems, but more likely that it is just a dirty pool. Could even be a bacterial thing that you are particularly susceptible to.

And never, ever go in a hot tub that you do not clean yourself.

Woody (Certified Pool Operator)

But the issue might not be the chlorine, the PH could be out which can cause rashes and reduce the sanitizing effect of the chlorine.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Mar 25, 17 2:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same nasal issue as you. My right nostril is clear in the morning and it switches during the day. The only time both are open is during physical exercise. I was diagnosed with a deviated nasal septum by an ENT doc as a kid, so I assume it has to do with that.

I started swimming 3 yrs ago and ended up having to take decongestants every few days. I'd be sneezing like crazy about 10 minutes after getting out of the pool. For the record, I had no issues with water going in my nose, unless backstroking. I finally just got a nose clip about a month ago. I hate it. It feels like you're swimming with a head cold and like its going to fall off all the time. But afterwards is amazing. No congestion at all (other than the normal deviated septum stuff). While I have to forcefully exhale more now to get everything out of my mouth instead of both my mouth and nose, I'd invest in one ASAP. Sinus congestion leading to infection is nothing to mess around with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loopfitt wrote:
Just wondering if others on the forum have problems with chlorine in pools. I don't think I'm allergic to it, but I feel like crap after my swims. I can barely keep my eyes open afterward from overwhelming exhaustion. Even if I swim in the early afternoon, it's bedtime for me a couple hours later. The next day I feel like I am suffering from a hangover. Whats up with this? Any answers?

I too have (what I call) a sensitivity to chlorine which manifests later in the day after a swim session as a huge sinus event; volumes of fluid out of my nose, constant sneezing, headache....However it is easily fixed with an anti-histamine, either before or after the swim. Just basic hay-fever type anti-histamine. It may not work but perhaps worth a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with Chlorine? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
loopfitt wrote:

I too have (what I call) a sensitivity to chlorine which manifests later in the day after a swim session as a huge sinus event; volumes of fluid out of my nose, constant sneezing, headache....However it is easily fixed with an anti-histamine, either before or after the swim. Just basic hay-fever type anti-histamine. It may not work but perhaps worth a try.

I've had EXACtlY what you mention here - somehow, someway, it eventually stopped happening. I had to take anti-histamines as well, but no longer. Not sure if that's good advice for others - to just tough it out, but it worked for me.
Quote Reply