Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

newbie question
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am brand new to your sport and need a good training program.I have been playing team sports for several years(football,baseball,etc.) with the mind set of getting bigger and stronger ,not endurance and speed.I am '5"8 220 lbs. very strong and unable to even start to compete with you guys.All I was ever taught was weight training and I'm not sure where to start.I have great respect for all of you as athletes and would appreciate any advise you could give.Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: newbie question [pup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Pup. Welcome to the sport. As a newbie myself, I'd recommend that you start by digesting everything on this website, as well as Gordo Byrn's site at http://www.byrn.org/. These two sites and the forums on both sites will go a loooooooooong way toward getting you familiarized with the sport of tri. As far as training plans go, you should pick up a copy of "The Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. It's aptly named. You probably won't be jumping into long-course events initially, but I'd also strongly recommend Gordos' book, "Going Long". I think it has a ton of great info in it that is pertinent to beginners as well as long-course triathletes. I think that they have similar limiters, i.e., endurance, so the training recommendations are applicable. For "canned" training plans, you can also try Gale Bernhardt's book "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes". For swimming, you can try one of Terry Laughlin's books, like "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy". I'm sure this isn't a comprehensive list, but it'll get you a long way into the sport. Good luck and welcome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a situation similar to yours, coming over to triathlon from rugby. The last post named a number of excellent resources but when I was starting out I kept going back to book called "Triathlon 101". IMHO, its a great place to start so when you do get into the other resources all the jargon and theory makes more intuitive sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Pup, I think you'll find triathletes one of the friendliest bunch of people, who are willing to give you as much information and help as you can stand.

I would add to the above by suggesting another website to you,

http://www.trinewbies.com

There is a great forum on there, one of the most active of any triathlon site, and full of people who can help you. There are also training plans on the site for most triathlon lengths, and from beginner to expert.

Have a look round, lurk the forums and then ask questions.

Good luck and, once again, welcome to our sport.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

As jkatsoudas mentioned (along with other good advice), slowtwitch is a good site, in particular you might want to start here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/beginner/beginner.html
Quote Reply