Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel hub busted, advice needed
Quote | Reply
Yesterday in a race I popped a spoke. Good news it happened with 5 miles to go versuse at mile 5 of the 56 miles. Post race looking at the wheel the hub cracked and that caused the spoke to release. When I deflated the wheel a spoke did break. The wheel is a hed jet that I purchased used and between myself the prior owner has 5 race seasons on it.

Is it worth it to replace the hub, if I replace the hub should I also replace all the spokes?

Is it time for a new wheel?

Thanks

Rockfish

aka Greg Sheehan
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel hub busted, advice needed [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed Jets have a nominally non-structural rim that make rebuilding more difficult. Unless you are up for a challenge, I would recommend that you carry the wheel to your local shop and ask them what the cost would be to rebuild the wheel on a Dura Ace rear hub (if 24 or 28 spoke) or Ultegra hub (if 28 spoke). I would have the existing spokes replaced with new double-butted 14/15 gauge spokes.

If the cost is very far north of $200, I would recommend cutting your losses and buying a new rear wheel. And I think we all know what the best rear racing wheel for the money is...
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel hub busted, advice needed [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,

thanks for the insight, just as an fyi, it is a front wheel, and I already have the rear wheel you are referring too :), I just wish they would make a matching front wheel.

One observation, that rear wheel is getting quite popular, there were at least 20 bikes equipped with it on Sunday!

thanks,

rf
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel hub busted, advice needed [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do yourself a fovor and change the hub out to a Shimano hub, much more durable. But be certain to have someone who knows what they are doing do the repair for you, working on those wheels is an art not mastered by many. you may be better suited to take the money for the repair and use it for a Zipp!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel hub busted, advice needed [taskmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back onto an Anti-ShimaNO rant....

Now, you have a GREAT rim that you need to have rebuilt into a wheel. Yes you need to replace all of your spokes and nipples - that is a given. That being the case, why on earth would you put on a run of the mill ShimaNO hub? Think about Mavic, King, White, American Classic, Phil Wood, Paul...I really like Paul hubs as they are silly light and SUUUUUPER smooth...and the kicker...cheap at less than $100.00!

Also, you need to think about your spokes...you could get some WheelSmith ovals that are about 10mm longer than you need...a really good bikeshop would then be able to cut off the threads and re-thread the spoke closer to the "Aero" section of the spokes and give you a great looking super strong wheel that should last you the next 25 years. Dont just lace that rim up with some standard spoke...spend that extra $0.25 a spoke.

When it comes time to build it..you may want to have the shop call and ask the rim MFG what the tensiometer rating of the rim is...got to be a bit careful with carbon.

You can check out the Paul Hubs at www.paulcomp.com

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply