Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone heard of Eclipse bikes?
Quote | Reply
Hello all:

As per my previous post about aluminum vs. carbon, I'm leaning toward the carbon Eclipse. What's holding me back is that I can't seem to find anyone that has experience with an Eclipse. They are a French company based in Quebec Canada that have been around since 1994. The only place that seems to sell is it Pecco's Bike Shop in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. I have seen a great deal of Eclipse's in my local tris and on the road in Ottawa so I know that they sell relatively well. I can't find a manufacturer website or any consumer reviews on my usual places like roadbikereview.com.

Does anyone own a Eclipse or know someone who does? Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? It seems like a very well thought out and manufactured frame with high quality component throughout. It also has the attractive feature that Pecco's custom fits the bike for you and then guarantees the fit for as many changes as it takes to make you perfectly comfortable. All for a very reasonable price.

I greatly appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Eclipse bikes? [unb_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a quick search before posting to the carbon/alu thread, and Pecco's was the only info I found - and they were having database issues so their website wasn't functioning properly. Never heard of them prior to your post.

Hopefully someone else might know, but my rule of thumb is that if Google can't find it, it doesn't exist!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Eclipse bikes? [unb_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I coach a couple athletes from Quebec living here in Victoria that have both had two Eclipses. Both seemed to really like the carbon models, over the Alu ones they had previously. Overall they seem to be well made and have a nice finish. Neither athlete had any problems with them as far as I recall, and commented that the frame was quite comfortable as compared to the Alu model.

They did have nice specs of Ultegra groups, with FSA carbon cranks and shimano "aero" wheels.

Good luck,

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Eclipse bikes? [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for any outside info I can get on the Eclipse Road Kinetc Carbon but I can't seem to find any on the web and that's sort of bothering me.

The lure of the Eclipse is that it will essentially be custom built to my body. A full fit kit is offered by the LBS and they will alter anything I want in terms of stem or crank length, saddle position etc. It is very attractive for a full carbon Ultegra bike for a somewhat modest price tag of $3199CDN.

HOWEVER, I have looked through the spec sheet for the bike and there are a few things I don't recognize. For instance, the brakes are "Focus Elite Ultralite with cartridge shoes", the cranks are "Graph-Tec Carbon Splined", the cassette is "Atomic 9 speed nickel chrome finish", an integrated headset and no mention of what rims. The grouppo is full Ultegra as are the levers.

I am cnsidering this bike to a stock 2004 Trek 5200 which is obviously ultegra throughout with mavic rims and tires, cane creek headset etc. It, of course, is listed at $3600CDN.

What I'm torn between is the custom fit of the Eclipse and the stock fit of the Trek. The BS with the Trek is reputable, but doesn't offer the same fit kit that the Eclipse comes with.

Anyone with guidance or support or opinion would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

PS: The Trek includes ultegra pedals, whereas the Eclipse has no pedals included but does offer 10% of anything else I buy in the store, including pedals and shoes, which I need. Also to consider, Trek's "lifetime" warranty on the frame compared to the 5-year on the Eclipse.

Thanks for the advice in advance everyone!

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Eclipse bikes? [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for any outside info I can get on the Eclipse Road Kinetc Carbon but I can't seem to find any on the web and that's sort of bothering me.

The lure of the Eclipse is that it will essentially be custom built to my body. A full fit kit is offered by the LBS and they will alter anything I want in terms of stem or crank length, saddle position etc. It is very attractive for a full carbon Ultegra bike for a somewhat modest price tag of $3199CDN.

HOWEVER, I have looked through the spec sheet for the bike and there are a few things I don't recognize. For instance, the brakes are "Focus Elite Ultralite with cartridge shoes", the cranks are "Graph-Tec Carbon Splined", the cassette is "Atomic 9 speed nickel chrome finish", an integrated headset and no mention of what rims. The grouppo is full Ultegra as are the levers.

I am cnsidering this bike to a stock 2004 Trek 5200 which is obviously ultegra throughout with mavic rims and tires, cane creek headset etc. It, of course, is listed at $3600CDN.

What I'm torn between is the custom fit of the Eclipse and the stock fit of the Trek. The BS with the Trek is reputable, but doesn't offer the same fit kit that the Eclipse comes with.

Anyone with guidance or support or opinion would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

PS: The Trek includes ultegra pedals, whereas the Eclipse has no pedals included but does offer 10% of anything else I buy in the store, including pedals and shoes, which I need. Also to consider, Trek's "lifetime" warranty on the frame compared to the 5-year on the Eclipse.

Thanks for the advice in advance everyone!

Mike
Quote Reply