Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barre Necessities
Quote | Reply
Ok, the Fitness Director at the place I teach a spinning class and substitute for Boot Camps has asked and asked if I would teach the Barre Necessities class. This is one of those pilates, yoga and ballet bar classes.

I have zero experience in any of the above, but she seems to think I can focus on light cardio, strength, and the basics of the Barre. I kept peeking in this mornings class since it was after my spinning class (freaking out the attendees), but it looks doable. Does anybody teach this and have a routine I can adjust accordingly?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Barre Necessities [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no advice but am laughing hysterically at the idea of you teaching this class. Pics or it didn't happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Barre Necessities [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
;). Its true though. I've said since day one, to most people I'm a giant teddy bear. The Fitness Director has gotten so much good feedback from my boot camp subs and my cycling that she felt comfortable enough to have me teach it. Based on peaking in that class today, I think I can get over a little discomfort real quick.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forge,

I don't know a thing about Barre, but having taught yoga and pilates for years, I can tell you that you need to do quite a bit of kinesthetic cueing. And a lot of breath work. I'm sure it will be a real hardship for you;)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Barre Necessities [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think traditionally you are right. But this is a Jewish community center. Lets just say the Boot Camps are not like the ones I've been to elsewhere. They fall somewhere between a body pump class and a real Boot Camp type class. This class looks a lot more like light aerobic. Either way, I'm going to demonstrate the more strength and aerobic stuff, but will call on an experienced volunteer to demonstrate the finer points.

The class flow goes like this.

- warmup
- light weight exercises (dumb bells, medicine balls, resistance bands, etc)
- core training
- barre exercises
- barre and floor stretches

Like I said, I wasn't keen on the idea, and my wife had pretty much the same response as you all have had. I communicated this to the Fitness Director, but she didn't let it go. So I said ok. I'll give it a try. Worst case, I focuse more on the light weight exercises and core training. I got the stretches down to.

I'll let you all know how it goes ;).

By the way what makes you think I know nothing about breathing. I was a martial artist for years. Not the most graceful one, but meditation and relaxation where tools used to make me looser and better. It has been years, but I think I can get it back.

Quote Reply
Re: Barre Necessities [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I have no advice but am laughing hysterically at the idea of you teaching this class. Pics or it didn't happen.

X2. Especially since there are no photos in your profile...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Barre Necessities [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the treasurer.

http://www.lpf.org/state-leadership

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it. It worked out good and they said I could substitute anytime. It was actually fun and I went over the normal 50 minute (1hour) class time by 15 minutes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pics or it didn't happen

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pics, but I was playing Enya's greatest hits, wearing an Florida Ironman 70.3 volunteer shirt and running pants made of tech fiber. I also was barefoot. I was the only man and we worked the full body. I had reservations as you can probably tell from my OP. Heck, my wife wanted to come to see it for herself. But it worked out, I enjoyed it, and they said I'm always welcome to sub.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got asked to teach it again, but it was on such short notice, I could not. So I guess I wasn't that bad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I read the title of this thread, this is what I get stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/...re=player_detailpage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love barre class and have been taking them for several years now. Try googling Lotte Berk etc. You should be able to get some great ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but I was playing Enya's greatest hits

Pretty short class wasn't it? lol

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Barre Necessities [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How on earth did you drag up this thread nearly three months after the fact?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wandered over here to see if getcereal had posted his reminder to women about March 14th. I'm bored, still have a few weeks before I start working. Scrolled down far enough and clicked on this thread to see what Barre necessities was (sadly disappointed btw). In my defense the latest post was only a month old.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would take king kong sized balls to post that over here, not that there's anything wrong with KKSB;)

Besides, I just kinda feel sorry for you all who need a Halmark Holiday for that kinda action. In my house we call that Tuesday.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
It would take king kong sized balls to post that over here, not that there's anything wrong with KKSB;)

Besides, I just kinda feel sorry for you all who need a Halmark Holiday for that kinda action. In my house we call that Tuesday.

Since this forum is supposed to stay tri-related, I'll just post a link. :)
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4460214

And btw LTT, we miss you over there....

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: justgeorge: Mar 11, 13 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks JG. I miss you guys too. Nothin like getting kicked outta the LR to find out who your true friends are. The Womens is getting fun though. You can always come over here and play:)

Do me a favor, huh? Since getcereal doesn't allow PMs, will you let him know that a "fresh" steak is for amateurs, and properly aged is really the only way to go? Thanks hun.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you really get kicked out of the LR room?

I want all the details.
Quote Reply